XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
My bike talks to me when I ride. It says Feck Off
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from the mega success of the recent UKXR Northern Meet, I thought I might put some feelers out to guage interest in a meet for next year. There seems to be some interest in doing something in the Lakes so here are some thoughts:

There are a couple of 'Harley' meets in the Lakes (one HOG, one HRG) which are well established and have bands, entertainment, beer tents, etc. These are end June/Early July but would involve CAMPING!!! :eek:
If no-one fancies that idea we could do our own thing using B&B's. Best time would be before peak season, ie. before end of June (early June is a good time). The big downside of pre-booking accomodation is that the Lake district is full of Lakes for a reason - it pisses down a lot!!! :mad:
As we know from the Horrendous Hawes experience biking in the pissing rain is not fun. :(
Anyway, if peeps are interested in the Lakes as an option for next year let me know and I would be happy to do a bit of spadework.
Whatever happens, this years event will be a very hard act to follow - cheers Alec :clap:

·
born stupid
1,509 Posts
Hi Geoff,
Put me down as a deffo for any weekend in June (July looks like it might be busy next year for me). And (unless I can blag someone to carry camping gear for me), freshly laundered white linen sheets, feather pillows, en-suite bathroom and real-ale on draught would be the preferred option for this old git! :cool::)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'd be up for the Lakes, whenever its organised for.

Same as Magicrat though......warm bed and real ale preferred......particularly if there's a high chance of rain.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'd be up for the Lakes, whenever its organised for.

Same as Magicrat though......warm bed and real ale preferred......particularly if there's a high chance of rain.
Hi Geoff,
Put me down as a deffo for any weekend in June (July looks like it might be busy next year for me). And (unless I can blag someone to carry camping gear for me), freshly laundered white linen sheets, feather pillows, en-suite bathroom and real-ale on draught would be the preferred option for this old git! :cool::)
Lakes, yeah. Camping, no. June's also fine.
Puffs LOL!

G

·
Lakes sounds good. Camping sounds rubbish. B and B for me chaps. I remember camping 20 years ago on my KH400. Pissed it down and it ran on 1.5 cylinders all the way home. I dont know what was worse, camping or the KH! Count me in for the trip though. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you're too macho for digs, you could always camp in the garden of the B&B.

Hope the heavy rain doesn't keep you awake at night though!

And don't worry, we would send you out a slice of toast in the morning.
Hey Billy, I'll just go with the flow. But honestly I just see a bunch of girls with nowhere to plug the hairdryer in LOL! Whatever happened to just chucking a tent and kip bag on the bike and going somewhere?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lakes sounds good. Camping sounds rubbish. B and B for me chaps. I remember camping 20 years ago on my KH400. Pissed it down and it ran on 1.5 cylinders all the way home. I dont know what was worse, camping or the KH! Count me in for the trip though. Cheers.
Hey Nick! Me and Briggsy saw a KH400 (might have been a 250) in Wooley Edge services on the way back. He'd just been up to a classic bike show up your way. It was mint!

·
born stupid
1,509 Posts
Hey Nick! Me and Briggsy saw a KH400 (might have been a 250) in Wooley Edge services on the way back. He'd just been up to a classic bike show up your way. It was mint!
KH's - best bikes ever! Must have had a "Friday" bike Nick lol!
Once rode a 250 from London to Durham up the A1 in a north easterly blizzard. Luggage (2 army haversacks strapped on as panniers) blew off around Doncaster. Had to be lifted off bike with hypothermia at home, but bike never missed a beat.:)

Maybe we could find a pub/b'n'b with camping in the Lakes? :)

·
Tyneside, UK.
964 Posts
Keep me posted. As long as it doesn't clash with the bairns birthday (July 22nd) I am a probable.

Re digs, yep B & B is first choice. Camping not on your nellie!. But would consider caravan hire if all B & B's are booked.

Mind you, 2012 is a long way off.

Johnny Carryoncaravanning.

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well there seems to be a quorum for a XR meet in the Lakes for 2012 :).

Feedback suggests that B&B is required by everyone except Ricky (good man!!)

As a provisional date how does weekend of 16/17th June work for peeps?? (post TT and not clashing with John's bairn's birthday)

I will check out some accomodation options but if we opt for one of the bigger places (Kendal/Bowness/Windermere/Grasmere/Keswick) we wouldn't need to all be in the same digs but could meet up for curry/beers, etc.

As John says 2012 is a long way off but I will start scouting around for some bike friendly accomodation for about 10 or so peeps with good breakfasts and not too expensive.

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,588 Posts
The Lakes has been on my to do list for too long now, this seems like the perfect time to cross it off the list. Count me in as well. Dates are good, yes to B&B.

·
Tyneside, UK.
964 Posts
I want to do the full weekend this time. And by then I should be able to ride fairly quickly I hope.

Johnny Daytona

·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the interest guys, time to start a provisional list:
Magicrat
Billy
Brigsy
Ricky
Nick Betts (needs to sell that old Honda and get another XR before next June!!)
John
Art
Scotty
dgbmvb
GRumble

Still need a few more to beat those sneeky Japanese owners. Still next June is a long way off.

I will keep peeps updated if I find possible digs, etc................

G

·
Hey Ricky, KH400's are crap. I love old bikes, but not ones that only go about 10 miles at a time. It even had a purpose made container under the seat with three spare spark plugs. Then the middle pot siezed every 10 minutes. It never started, the middle exhaust studs fell out about 10 times. If it rained i used to get electric shock from the coils through the tank (nice) Absolute crap. Give me an RD400 any day.

G

·
Thanks for all the interest guys, time to start a provisional list:
Magicrat
Billy
Brigsy
Ricky
Nick Betts (needs to sell that old Honda and get another XR before next June!!)
John
Art
Scotty
dgbmvb
GRumble

Still need a few more to beat those sneeky Japanese owners. Still next June is a long way off.

I will keep peeps updated if I find possible digs, etc................
How about i meet you in the middle. Rather than sell the blade, i'll stick an XR sticker on it. Sorted!

1 - 20 of 417 Posts