XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well let's see how well this works....
There has been considerable discussion regarding the temperature ranges on various parts of the XR1200, mostly revolving around the heads because of the oilers. I am fortunate to have use of a thermal imager and some pretty nice software that lets me pinpoint any pixel on an image to mark the temperature.
Today, I took a pretty spirited ride and when I returned home, I took some shots of the bike. I should make sure that you know it was approx 74 degrees F, so no major heat issues today.
Have a look....

The red line across the bottom represents the lowest temp and the highest temp on the screen. The bar on the left gives you a color representation of the temperatures.
I have more. Anyone wanna see them? Whaddya wanna see?

G

·
Ive used TI many times in the past at work for target locating but this is the first time Ive seen it used for a useful civil purpose. "Cool stuff"

·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's pretty cool. I'd like to see more. How much time transpired between your shutting off the bike and the actual picture taking?
ST- I took off my helmet & gloves & grabbed the camera, so less than a minute transpired. Tomorrow and Saturday is supposed to get closer to 90F here, so I wanna see how much that changes things.

·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You the Predator?

I would think the front cylinder would be cooler than the rear?
FBG- Yeah, I have that fluorescent yellow blood!

The one thing that surprised me a little was that both cylinders were (essentially) the same temp. We'll see when it gets hotter over the next few days. BUT...see this pick of the canisters..

This clearly shows the top can hotter than the bottom. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think that you may be missing an income opportunity if you do not market some of these images. They are truly appealing to the eye of an old gearhead. As to the lack of apparent heat difference between front and rear cylinders, I'm not too surprised. On a bevel drive Ducati that I had, the front cylinder ran hotter than the rear. I suspect that the 90 degree configuration which located the front cylinder in a more "laid down" position directly behind the front wheel and forks caused it to be somewhat shrouded from a cooling flow of air.

·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think their kinda cool looking, too. There is alot of funny things that happens with thermal imaging. The photos of the bike make it look like it's night time and the engine is glowing hot, but truthfully it was taken in broad daylight.

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
These are just kinda cool art...

That's how my bike looks in normal light when I come back from a ride!

These pics are sweet....thank Cybr!!:clap:

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Great pics but the gas tank looks rich. Will that help the 3000 rpm flat spot? :rolleyes: Later,

·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice Cybr.

The oil reserve glows opposite the battery but the intake/outgoing oil tubes and add-on oil cooler do not seem to glow.
XR- Good eyes! Thermography is very complicated and technical. You really have to know what you are looking at and how to set up the parameters of the camera. People get many hours of training to become certified. I would only qualify as a damn good beginner. On the pic of the right side of the bike there are two things going on at the oil tank. First is the temperature of the oil inside heating up the tank. Also you are seeing heat radiated off the very hot engine that is reflecting on the tank.
This pic shows the tank up close. Here you can see the reflection of the engine heat pretty well.

This view looks directly down into the oil tank with the cap removed.

And finally, here is the oil cooler.

It's not glowing because it really isn't all that hot.

·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you for those awesome pics...

I'd like to see pics like that when under heavy load at 6000rpm :)
The camera has a function that allows it to take a picture every few seconds (user selectable). This means that you could set the camera to begin shooting when the bike is cold and get several shots as the bike is heating up. This would be very interesting to see on a dyno run.
On what area of the engine would you like to see this?

·
WTF???
15,969 Posts
Thermo-chicken strips?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.