XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To what creative uses to you folks put the underseat storage? I have some sunscreen, a spritzer for the windshield, a shop towel, spare key and registration. Even keep $50 as just in case money. If I can just get someone to make a cover as a replacement for the pillion, there may be room for some tools.

Talk it up folks.

paul:asshole:

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Me and Wild Willy musta got screwd because we didn't recieve any under seat storage on our bikes. I checked the factory service manual and could not find the storage section. Damn hosed again! :oops: Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WildWillie: to pop off the front seat there are (two tabs, one on either side uder the front edge of the seat) that you push in, and voula, the seat comes up and out. For the rear just pull up the rear of the pad, and it pops right up.

paul (aka dbluefish):clap:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sunglasses, mp3 player, thinkin about some tampons for those guys on crotch rockets that dont know how to get their knee down lmao!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't use it.

After removing the pillion several times, the rubber bushing that holds it closed, split. It stays on, but I figure it wasn't made to get into a lot and I don't trust it to stay secure with anything important.

Oh, and with my warped mind, it would be the first place I'd look to rip something off in a heartbeat...

·
Registered
603 Posts
I’ve seen that little storage reservoir under the front seat when I had it apart to put the bungee bars on and strap for the tank bag. I never put anything in it because I find taking the front seat off is kind of a pain. I know it’s just two tabs underneath, but it’s difficult to get my fingers in there. However, your idea of some bills in there is actually a good idea, and I'm going to do that. What if the wallet fell out of the pocket while riding around and you needed the tank filled to get home? As Phaedrus said ^^, putting anything in the pillion storage would be easy game for theives. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure much would fit into that front area, since the stock seat has mounting points that rest there...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Underseat storage

The pillion seat is next to useless, and the rear footpegs have gone for the exhaust, so my idea is.......
Replace the seat unit for a carbon single seat unit. Modify the seat to use a lockable, quick on and off system, like Corbin have done. Then make a storage compartment under where the pillion seat would be, accessable from under the front seat.

·
A Tuscan in Chicago
161 Posts
This may sound like a very stupid question, but I read some comments that seem to indicate that not all XR1200 have a small compartment under the rear seat. Is this correct? I am looking at a pre-owned 2009 XR, and want to understand...

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
This may sound like a very stupid question, but I read some comments that seem to indicate that not all XR1200 have a small compartment under the rear seat. Is this correct? I am looking at a pre-owned 2009 XR, and want to understand...
All of them with a stock tail section will have the VERY small compartment under the rear seat pad.

·
A Tuscan in Chicago
161 Posts
thanks! I was puzzled...the dealer had told me that it had no compartment...

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
I knew, back in June of '09, how to remove both seats. What I didn't understand, and still don't, was the use of the word "storage". :clap:
WildWillie: to pop off the front seat there are (two tabs, one on either side uder the front edge of the seat) that you push in, and voula, the seat comes up and out. For the rear just pull up the rear of the pad, and it pops right up.

paul (aka dbluefish):clap:

·
A Tuscan in Chicago
161 Posts
Most of the dealers don't know squat about these bikes. Just lift up the rear set pad and you'll see
Thanks. That's my problem...the dealer is telling me some stuff that doesn't make sense, and I don't trust him...he also assures me that the tank issue is not an issue any longer in the new XR1200X. But who knows...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks. That's my problem...the dealer is telling me some stuff that doesn't make sense, and I don't trust him...he also assures me that the tank issue is not an issue any longer in the new XR1200X. But who knows...
"the dealer is telling me some stuff that doesn't make sense

And this would be a perfect example....

"assures me that the tank issue is not an issue any longer in the new XR1200X"

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.