XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Tail Bag...

~

I had the tail bag and the tank bag ordered at the same time I ordered the XR back in November. And both were in and I got 'em when I picked up my XR1200 the second week in December.

I love the tail bag, and use it all the time. In fact, I used it out on a 250 mile ride today. Really a nicely designed piece, mounts solid, has just about the perfect amount of room for my purposes, and I think it is sold for a great price.

Thanks for the vid, and I give the tail bag two thumbs up, for sure.

Thanks!

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, after the ride today I was thinking of picking up the tank bag as well. I'm assuming it's the same quality as the tail bag minus the need to remove it for refilling, any thoughts?

On another note: The sport windshield is on order but looks like I will not get it until March'ish. Which is fine, as I don't plan on doing any really long rides until April. Thinking up the coast from Orange County all the way to Oregon or whatever a week takes me. :cool:

Now if I can keep from blipping the throttle and bouncing over 5k for another 100 miles. It's been tough, I've been riding the bike somewhat hard after 80ish miles but as long as I don't go over 5k too often I think I'm ok :rolleyes: yeah right...

·
Gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which I desire
51 Posts
Now if I can keep from blipping the throttle and bouncing over 5k for another 100 miles. It's been tough, I've been riding the bike somewhat hard after 80ish miles but as long as I don't go over 5k too often I think I'm ok :rolleyes: yeah right...
Personally I think droning and lugging are worse than exceeding the 5K RPM limit. I passed 5k after maybe 20 miles on mine.

And so it isn't a total hi-jack, I saw the saddlebags and tank bag at the dealer show last week. I didn't like them, and I'm glad I didn't order them when I ordered the bike.

furyus

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
I'm feeling ya Dog!

I'd really like to see the saddlebags mounted in person...they look okay in the photos...I'm concerned the tail bag may make it a little clumsy when I get on and off the bike, any issues with that? And I'm a little uncommitted on the tank bag, just because I like the lines of the tank....

I'm in a quandry. I often ride to work and need some storage space to carry work items......paperwork, digital camera, some misc. items...I was really hoping the saddlebags would be the solution, even if I only mounted the left side bag....

Oh well, I guess its one of those things that will work itself out....eventually......

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Scotty always has the solution

Leave it to Scotty to have a solution to every problem, Thanks, Scotty for this practical and unique solution to MaGoos problem.

Hey Scotty, why is Santa so jolly?

because he knows where all the bad girls live.

·
14,911 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I'd really like to see the saddlebags mounted in person...they look okay in the photos...I'm concerned the tail bag may make it a little clumsy when I get on and off the bike, any issues with that? And I'm a little uncommitted on the tank bag, just because I like the lines of the tank....

I'm in a quandry. I often ride to work and need some storage space to carry work items......paperwork, digital camera, some misc. items...I was really hoping the saddlebags would be the solution, even if I only mounted the left side bag....

Oh well, I guess its one of those things that will work itself out....eventually......

The only issue I see with the tail bag would be getting on and off the bike as some people that are shorter than, lets say 5'10, might have a tough time swinging their leg over. But you can do the leg straight in front technique as this works too.

Of course you could always have these on if you're shorter. That with the gerbil bag would look pretty tough I would say.

·
14,911 Posts
where can i get some of those?

The only issue I see with the tail bag would be getting on and off the bike as some people that are shorter than, lets say 5'10, might have a tough time swinging their leg over. But you can do the leg straight in front technique as this works too.

Of course you could always have these on if you're shorter. That with the gerbil bag would look pretty tough I would say.
I dig those!

Let me add to your statement of ................ " shorter than, lets say 5'10, might have a tough time swinging their leg over"...........that should say. "Shorter than 5'10" or over the age of 50"....

[: )]

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Hey, I resemble that remark !

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Uh-oh...

~

I guess I'm I'm in trouble now... ;)

I passed 50 a few years ago, and I'm only 5' 8" on a good day... Probably more like a bit over 5' 7" - with a 28" or 29" inseam.

Oh, and I've had both hips replaced with titanium/ceramic models and have a really bad left knee and ankle thanks to 22 years of MX racing...

And I don't have any trouble at all getting on the XR1200 when I have the tail bag mounted on the back. Not a bit.

But then again, I have a Ducati Hypermotard, a KLR, and a Versys and don't have any trouble getting on them, either... Even when they have the various tail packs I have for them installed.

Oh, well... :confused:

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
~

I guess I'm I'm in trouble now... ;)

I passed 50 a few years ago, and I'm only 5' 8" on a good day... Probably more like a bit over 5' 7" - with a 28" or 29" inseam.

Oh, and I've had both hips replaced with titanium/ceramic models and have a really bad left knee and ankle thanks to 22 years of MX racing...

And I don't have any trouble at all getting on the XR1200 when I have the tail bag mounted on the back. Not a bit.

But then again, I have a Ducati Hypermotard, a KLR, and a Versys and don't have any trouble getting on them, either... Even when they have the various tail packs I have for them installed.

Oh, well... :confused:

Dallara

~
"I've had both hips replaced with titanium/ceramic models" Million Dollar Man right there, You're about 1/5 of the way to becoming a Terminator.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Trust me...

"I've had both hips replaced with titanium/ceramic models" Million Dollar Man right there, You're about 1/5 of the way to becoming a Terminator.

It sure don't feel that way...

BTW, don't ever believe that crap they try and feed you about "Oh, they're as good or better than you own hips" or "You can't believe how much better off you'll be", etc., etc., etc.

Yep, it gets rid of a lot of pain... But they simply don't work like your real hips. Lot's of restrictions on what you can and cannot do from then on, too. If I had not literally been forced to have them replaced (I had lots of damage and a degenerative disease in my hip joints on top of that) I would not have done it...

Case in point... My left knee is shot all to hell. Broken a couple of times, all sorts of injuries over the years, and they want to replace it. But I won't let 'em do it until it literally falls apart. No disease in it... Just all screwed up and now it's also wearing out from all of that. When it craters, I'll have the replacement done, but not until. My hips taught me that.

BTW, I got the titanium/ceramics because they are supposed to last the longest of all the combo's available right now... Not because they were expensive or somehow "tricker".

But back to the point of the thread...

Even with those, the knee, being 5' nothing, being chubbier than I should be, etc.... I still don't have any trouble getting on and off the XR1200 when I have the tail bag mounted. IN fact, it's on there right now... ;)

Dallara

~

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Had the tail bag on while riding through some rain. I noticed that after it dried out the "faux" carbon fiber is now all bubbled up and looks pretty bad. Seems that getting it wet totally disagrees with the glue that was used. Also, not a watertight bag. If there are papers in there that are not protected, (Zip lock bag) they will get wet. Other than that, it is a very handy bag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts