XR1200 Owners Group banner

XR versus XRX suspension

8K views 61 replies 20 participants last post by  slowoldguy 
#1 ·
What´s up guys?

Based on your experience, how much will I gain by changing my 2009 XR original suspension for the XRX ones (or similar)?

Should change both? Or only the rear will be enough?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Regards, Focchi. :clap:

#5 ·
As I am about to do a suspension up-grade on both ends of my 09, I'm interested in whether the X suspension is a viable option. At $1500 it ain't that cheap, and it doesn't change ride height in the rear. Why would one choose this route over aftermarket in the same price range? Not rhetorical, I'm really asking.

What are reasonable alternatives for the 09-10 bikes in the same price range? I'm noting the OP said "or similar" so I'm thinking he's curious about alternatives , too. Not trying to hi-jack.

#6 ·
It sooo depends on your riding style and expectations of the bike's response.

SlowOG, you're experienced with the GS: lots of smooth, well damped travel, no front end dive, great stability in the turns. From what I've read in your posts, you are happy with that and it is your reference.

Given your reference and from the way you ride (from reading your posts), that sounds a lot like me, so, I'll offer my own opinion.

The cheapest reasonable alternative is: X forks and (your choice) good aftermarket rear shocks. I went with the Ohlins. Don't skimp on the rear.

I'm still going to go one more step and get the original forks converted, and probably step up to even more high end rear shocks.

Just my .02!

#8 ·
BTW, a suspension guy I trust (Roger at OnRoad OffRoad) is sourcing out/pricing the alternatives and as of Friday was thinking about doing the machining on the stocker forks and putting in K-Tech components/springs in both legs if possible. That. Doesn't. Sound. Cheap. :(

#9 ·
I got an 2009 XR, and read in the Twin Motorcycles web site this recommendation:

- Öhlins Front Fork upgrade to progressive spring only for 2008-2009 XR1200;
- Öhlins AB Road & Track Shock Absorbers Type S36PR1C1LB;

Would that help? Better than the original XRX suspension kit?

Regards, Focchi.

#10 ·
This is my opinion. You can get the X suspension for way less than 1500. It is a big improvement over stock. Front and rears should be done simultaneously. However I bought my rears first used cheep then bought the fronts @ 800.00. A set of high quality rear shocks can go 1200.00 or more, then if you want a premium front set your in the 1300-1400 price range. So 2600 min. VS about 1300 for the X suspension not a bad value. It all depends on how aggressive you ride. I have found that I have quickly out grown the X rear shocks. I have no regrets with the X BPF defiantly one of the better upgrades I made. But the rears I will go with the Ohlins over winter.

#12 ·
Jeff B, got your point: got a friend who bought an Sportster 883 saying he wouldn´t find the engine´s end for a long time... Big mistake, 3 months later he was searching for a 1200 upgrade kit...

Gotta save some money and buy a rear Öhlins as the first right shot (so won´t regret a few months later either) and save more money to buy a good front fork later...

Regards, Focchi.

#13 ·
For you new guys on here, looking for rear shocks/front forks. Especially the shocks, give Howard at Motorcycle Metal a call. He's one of our venders listed in the forum. Tell him yu're on the forum. He knows what he's doing, can reccomend and build to suit your riding style and your weight. I got his Ohlins shocks, I didn't want the rebound and compression adjustment, and he built them. My rear is now planted in the corners, and the ride is smooth. Still trying to figure out something on the front.

#16 · (Edited)
For you new guys on here, looking for rear shocks/front forks. Especially the shocks, give Howard at Motorcycle Metal a call. He's one of our venders listed in the forum. Tell him yu're on the forum. He knows what he's doing, can reccomend and build to suit your riding style and your weight. I got his Ohlins shocks, I didn't want the rebound and compression adjustment, and he built them. My rear is now planted in the corners, and the ride is smooth. Still trying to figure out something on the front.
Thanks. Now the big question. About how much we talking here? For the ohlins shocks without the adjustability?

#14 ·
Based on your experience, how much will I gain by changing my 2009 XR original suspension for the XRX ones (or similar)?
Should change both? Or only the rear will be enough?
About 1/2 second per lap
Yes
No

As I am about to do a suspension up-grade on both ends of my 09, I'm interested in whether the X suspension is a viable option. At $1500 it ain't that cheap, and it doesn't change ride height in the rear. Why would one choose this route over aftermarket in the same price range? Not rhetorical, I'm really asking. What are reasonable alternatives for the 09-10 bikes in the same price range? I'm noting the OP said "or similar" so I'm thinking he's curious about alternatives , too. Not trying to hi-jack.
While you can certainly get better suspension than the X suspension, you will pay more for any improvements over the X suspension. A lot of it comes down to how much you want to spend. The X suspension usually goes for around $1300-$1350 online (under $1400 shipped).

... That. Doesn't. Sound. Cheap. :(
EXACTLY!!!

This is my opinion. You can get the X suspension for way less than 1500. It is a big improvement over stock. Front and rears should be done simultaneously. However I bought my rears first used cheep then bought the fronts @ 800.00. A set of high quality rear shocks can go 1200.00 or more, then if you want a premium front set your in the 1300-1400 price range. So 2600 min. VS about 1300 for the X suspension not a bad value. It all depends on how aggressive you ride. I have found that I have quickly out grown the X rear shocks. I have no regrets with the X BPF defiantly one of the better upgrades I made. But the rears I will go with the Ohlins over winter.
Completely agree.... except.... I'm just wondering how many people will actually outgrow the rear X shocks. Since I've installed mine, I have never thought about them, which means they are just fine to me.

#25 ·
Completely agree.... except.... I'm just wondering how many people will actually outgrow the rear X shocks. Since I've installed mine, I have never thought about them, which means they are just fine to me.
MadDog, you running the Stock X front & rear?

I do and like you said I set 'em and forget 'em, they never do anything that makes me want to replace them. Even when I hit some crappy pavement when I got it cranked over there's no drama. I hope some day I ride good enough to be better than my X suspension but not there yet.

#17 ·
Old guy, can't quote you an exact price, but they were cheaper than what everybodys talking for the Olins and Race Tech, by far. Give him a call, really. I think you will like what you here. I'm like you said. Once the shocks are set, why mess with them. And Howard got them spot on for me. Wish I could find some affordable forks like that, to.

#20 ·
Jeff, I sold my old XR forks to Howard and he came and picked them up personally. Great guy to talk to.
He is definitely not 100% but he's working. Told me he was working closely with his crew which he praised highly.
This was about 2 weeks ago and he was hurting.
I suggest giving him a call... should have his number somewhere on my cell if anyone needs to reach him.

#21 ·
I sold your forks for $300 and tossed the internals and installed the 30mm Ohlins cartridges in them ($1,550) with a set of trees. They were installed onto a wrecked Sportster (Nightster). He lives in upstate NY so no ride report yet and he bought it cheep.

It takes me one hour to get out of bed, showered, and dressed. I am working my shoulder because I wish to ride ASAP. Want to ride to Daytona in March. Every day I hurt a bit less and my range of movement gets a bit more. Walking my hand up the wall while showering with hot water beating on my shoulder is not near as much fun as washing Mr. Happy when I was 17 years old. Crashing sucks!

I am doing a set of 30mm inside of a set of BP forks as soon as my new tool gets here. I lent it to a friend and my friend must of lost it. IMO you must have the tool to take it apart and remove the spring collars. They are really on there and I used heat in the past. If you wish to stop on by, we got a fun crew to hang with.

#23 ·
I just upgraded my 2009 so I'll add my two cents. I used the X BPF forks an am pretty happy with them. The only fly in my ointment is the fork springs are too soft. Don't you think somebody at Harley would notice you need to add pre-load to the forks to get reasonable sag WITHOUT A RIDER on the bike? Oh well, I guess it is good to look forward to upgrading the springs later. Otherwise I'm pretty happy, on the other hand I'm not the fastest guy on the road. My biggest claim to fame as a road racer was having Freddy Spencer pass me so fast he and his bike were just a silver blur.

For the back end I went with YSS. I can't say they are as good as Ohlins but for under $820 from a pair of shocks with full adjustability (ride hight, compression, rebound and pre-load), a much better ride and better wheel control I'm pretty happy.

Goose

#24 ·
Goose, thanks. I will be checking on those YSS shocks. That is more my price range. But I have to ask, why did you go with X forks rather than Racetech springs suited to your weight and re-valve? Wouldn't that have been cheaper and more effective or am I missing something big here? Which, I will admit , is entirely possible.

#37 ·
Fellow Old Guy,

A couple of reasons.
First, the stock XR forks have a lot of stiction, that can't be fixed by any way I know of.
Second, I've pretty much had it with RaceTech. I've called twice and asked for some to call me to help me order parts. It has been months and I still waiting. I went to the Long Beach partly to talk to them. I enjoyed talking to one of the techs, learned a lot. He gave me his card and said "Email me and we'll workout the details". I sent the Email the week after the show. Its been a month and I'm still waiting for a reply.
Third, if I modify the stock forks I have to sell them with the bikes and sell the bike as modified. I'll probably get less the same or even less for the bike because it isn't stock. With the "X" forks I have a set of really clean stock forks I can put on the bike and sell the "X" forks separately.

Just my approach,

Goose

#31 ·
Slowoldguy, you may know already, but you asked. The XR1200 has springs in both side of the fork, but only has valving in one side. The X model has valves on both sides. The kit you're looking at from Race Tech sounds like the one they have that just redoes the valving in the one side. They have a kit that does both sides of your forks, but that kit runs up to about $1500 or $1600, I beleive. And requies machine work on the other leg on the fork.

#32 ·
Ok, here's my experience. I upgraded my 09 with the XRX kit. It was the most cost effective way to upgrade, cost me about $1250 last year. It works for me, i don't plan on racing it or anything like that, just riding the snot out of it and generating the maximum amount of smiles. Could not justify spending big dollars on a bike that didn't even cost $7,000 to begin with(used). It takes some playing with the front compression/rebound/preload settings to get them right for your riding preference. Rear shocks are not perfect but they are 10 times better than the stock 09 shocks.

#33 ·
Sorry if I´m been ignorant, but let me ask you all one more question: for this amount of money (more or less $1250), can´t I have better rear shocks (ohlins, bitubo, YSS, ...) and XRX front forks? And they work fine?

Regards, Focchi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.