XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to Magoo last night before the couch had its way with him(sleep/passed out). I rode up to North Carolina on Tuesday to ride the Dragons Tail. If you dont know about the "Tail" I'll fill you in. Highway 129 out of Robbinsville N.C. is an awesome 318 turns in 11 miles. Set in the mountains the scenery is the best as is the quality of the pavement. This road is so tight and twisty it keeps the speed down but you can bust your ass. Go to the website Tail of the Dragon.com and check it out. There is a Motorcycle hotel at the south end of the "Tail". There is motorcycle friendly places to stay in the area and some are designed for motorcycles with inside bike parking.

If 11 miles of twisties isn't enough you can ride the Tail and do a 120 mile loop that goes to Tellico Plains Tenn and come back the Cherohala Skyway and actually join the mile high club on the XR. The view from 5390 feet is awesome. There is good riding everwhere in the area. Mountains are cool!

Lets see if we can put a ride together for August-September and let everyone see our XRs. Mine still draws a crowd everytime I stop. East coast XR owner need to get together. If you are like Magoo and truck your bike to the event there is a loading dock at the hotel for easy off loads. Lets get this put together. Come on Magoo let's set this up! :clap: Later,

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
great thought!

Well, a blind hog does root an acorn now and then, doesn't it?

Fat has a great idea here....there is plenty of time to put an event like this together. Floridacars, FatBilly, me, longbow, cybrdyke, breezybikerdeb, Phaedrus, among others, are probably all within a days drive of the Dragon! If we can get at least 10 XR's there we can probably get a rate on the rooms.

If you go to killboy.com there are links to Deals Gap activities and events. Their calendar is packed with things like the Miata Owners Group Rally, BMW Owners, East Coast Sport Riders Rally, yada,yada, yada. Why not an XR1200 owners group rally?

I mean it ain't as if its likely we're all going to meet up at Sturgis...[:)]...having a bunch of XR's at the Gap would blow people away! Cycle News would probably have to send one of their most famous undercover reporters, eh, Fat Billy?

What do you East Coasters think? (We'll cut the left coast guys some slack since they'd have to drive 3 days to get there [:)])

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
If you've never ridden the Tail of the dragon at Deal's Gap, it's a blast. Being a Left Coast guy, we don't get many opportunities for this. In my case I was in SC for a meeting at Drag Specialties. The Fox's put together a ride on the Tail for those attending. There was Arlen and Cory Ness, Mike Corbin, Danny Gray, a bunch of the Hamsters, Dave Perewitz, Kenny "samson pipes" Price, and quite a few other Harley Custom Guys. Since I had flown in to the meeting, Mike Corbin offered me a Yamaha Royal Star. Not my first choice but hey, what an opportunity. We start riding and I notice the pig of a Yamaha won't hold a line to save it's life. If I don't slow down to a snail's pace it wallows all over the road. I try speeding up. I find if I pitch it in fairly hard and hang off like Kenny Roberts it actually goes around the corners pretty good. I do this for the entire ride and am the first one to the lunch stop. Guys are telling tales of the lunatic on the pearl creme cruiser blasting past them. It's kind of funny.
After we get back I'm telling Ed Burke, a product planner from Yamaha the story and he gets a very flushed look on his face. Turns out the bike was a pre production model that was supposed to be used for designing new products only, as it had never been prepped and had the wrong triple trees on it! He tells me that the trail was wrong and there was a ton of play in the neck bearings! :oops: He ends with "You're lucky to be alive" :eek:

·
14,911 Posts
just call me lucky...

I'm headed up to the Dragon over memorial day weekend. But would love to go again in the fall :D
You lucky bastard! Have fun - be safe!

It looks like the first weekend at the Dragon that doesn't have a bunch of other clubs scheduled is August 28 - 30. That's the weekend before Labor day ..... Sounds about right to me! What do y'all think? If it sounds about right I can post it on the Deals Gap calendar .... It will probably generate a couple new members! [:)]

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good Magoo, Keep in mind I was there yesterday and there were lots of folks and it was Tuesday. Let's think earlier in the week. Thursday-Saturday may work better crowd wise and the rooms should be less checking out Saturday. The week ends are crowded to the max. See what the group says and let's go with it. :cool: Later,

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
I'm in. Sept. would work best for me. MotoGP in Indy is on my schedule for August. Although I won't be riding the XR to that. Be on the BMW. An alternative base-of-operations would be the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort on Highway 28. I've stayed there many times and the hosts and facilities are awsome. Let's pick a date and get it on.

·
14,911 Posts
Sweet....

Yeah, any day of the week is good for me but I figure some folks got real jobs and can't just go ridin' when they feel like it :). Weekdays may be less crowded but weekends easier for folks to attend. Probably a crap shoot either way :pinch:

In September they have:
September 10-12 8thCivic.com Conquers the Dragon IV
September 19-20 Palmetto PCA Porsches on the Dragon
September 26-27 Out-smart-ing the Dragon by Carolina Car Club
September 27 2nd Annual JDRF Charity Dragon Run

Probably ought to go when the Porsches are there :). We're going to end up sharing anyway, might as share with some class!

·
14,911 Posts
Nice!

Deals Gap has nothing on us Floride riders we got 11 turn's in 318 miles!!
I love it when somebody is brilliantly funny! LOL....well done!:clap:

·
All things considered I'd rather be at the FloraBa
184 Posts
two wheel inn was there robinsville nc

Breezybikerdeb count me in :clap::clap::clap: This will be my second time, I killed that dragon, I guess I must return to the dragon. How about Gattlinburg TN. also great town also days ride then back. Best days are Wed.-Thurs for the Dragon

·
14,911 Posts
thanks for that!

Best days are Wed.-Thurs for the Dragon
See...I also love it when someone has an opinion...no ambiguity here...Wed - Thurs are best....boom! Its done...Okay we've settled on which days of the week...now we just need to figure out which week :whistling:

·
63 Posts
You lucky bastard! Have fun - be safe!

It looks like the first weekend at the Dragon that doesn't have a bunch of other clubs scheduled is August 28 - 30. That's the weekend before Labor day ..... Sounds about right to me! What do y'all think? If it sounds about right I can post it on the Deals Gap calendar .... It will probably generate a couple new members! [:)]
That leaves me out. That's the MotoGP date in Indy.

·
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Magoo it's funny that you take directions from females. Guess you've been married a while huh. Be sure to get the last word "yes dear". LOL Wednesday-Friday will do fine. The three day opening will give more a chance to make it. Select a week dude, it's your nose pick it! :clap: Later,

·
63 Posts
See...I also love it when someone has an opinion...no ambiguity here...Wed - Thurs are best....boom! Its done...Okay we've settled on which days of the week...now we just need to figure out which week :whistling:
Sept. 23 &24
Sept. 30 & Oct. 1
Oct. 7 & 8
Oct. 14 & 15
Oct. 21 & 22
Oct. 28 & 29

Are all good for me.

·
14,911 Posts
Ha!

That leaves me out. That's the MotoGP date in Indy.
Aww, beemerjim, you ain't getting out of it that easy....we're pushing to a Wed - Friday in September!!:clap:

·
14,911 Posts
hmmmm.....

I like that September 23,24,25 range. Of course my wife's birthday is September 24th, but hell, she'll have another one next year :pinch:....maybe.

It should be cooling down significantly by then........valued opinions please....

·
14,911 Posts
Yeah, but will you
I'd give myself 3 to 2. :whistling:

Ok, I've emailed the folks who maintain the calendar of events at the Dragon and requested they list us for the 23,24,25 of Septmeber. Everyone names their rally.....so I named our's too....ready for this.....

XR 1200 Owners Group
Enter the Dragon Rally
September 2009

I feel a t-shirt coming on..........

1 - 20 of 84 Posts