XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2009 HD XR1200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if an XR engine, swingarm, forks, wheels, etc will bolt onto an XL frame?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if an XR engine, swingarm, forks, wheels, etc will bolt onto an XL frame?
Why? But an educated guess would be yes on the engine as for everything else, mmmmm …maybe not. The Motor Company developed the interior of their existing sportster engine and by looking at my 2011 parts manual the aforementioned parts are a little different. Maybe I’m wrong though. But my original question still stands, why would you want to go there in the first place?

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
Might work, check out this old thread by JoeP where he compares the 2 frames from a XR and a XL

·
Registered
2009 HD XR1200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I bought the bike, I didn't realize my bad foot/ankle was going to make it very difficult for me to shift the XR's rearsets. Since I have no difficulty with mid controls, I need to find a way to convert. In addition, the previous owner tried to make a supermoto and sold the seat, tail section, rear fender, the support brackets, taillight, turn signals, front fender, and handlebars. These stock parts are very difficult and expensive to find. Using an XL main frame would allow mid controls to easily bolt on and the missing rear fender and lights could be replaced with inexpensive, easy to find XL parts.
I have seen joeP's thread but it didn't help much. It did lead to discovering that the XR's forks will bolt right up and I suspect the swing arm will too. If so, the wheels will not be a problem. I might have to fashion a bracket for the tank but that wouldn't be that difficult. The ideal find would be someone who took the engine, wheels, tank, etc from an XL to make a chopper but left all the parts that I need. Ultimately though, I may end up having to sell the bike. Even then, I feel like I need to solve the taillight/brake light problem. Right now it has a chintzy little LED strip but the brake light function doesn't work and it can barely be seen in the daytime. It's too dangerous to ride right now. I attached pics so you can see what he did. I immediately removed the ugly leather bag. I have located some inexpensive mid controls but they can't be mounted without fabbing and welding some brackets on the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
When I bought the bike, I didn't realize my bad foot/ankle was going to make it very difficult for me to shift the XR's rearsets. Since I have no difficulty with mid controls, I need to find a way to convert. In addition, the previous owner tried to make a supermoto and sold the seat, tail section, rear fender, the support brackets, taillight, turn signals, front fender, and handlebars. These stock parts are very difficult and expensive to find. Using an XL main frame would allow mid controls to easily bolt on and the missing rear fender and lights could be replaced with inexpensive, easy to find XL parts.
I have seen joeP's thread but it didn't help much. It did lead to discovering that the XR's forks will bolt right up and I suspect the swing arm will too. If so, the wheels will not be a problem. I might have to fashion a bracket for the tank but that wouldn't be that difficult. The ideal find would be someone who took the engine, wheels, tank, etc from an XL to make a chopper but left all the parts that I need. Ultimately though, I may end up having to sell the bike. Even then, I feel like I need to solve the taillight/brake light problem. Right now it has a chintzy little LED strip but the brake light function doesn't work and it can barely be seen in the daytime. It's too dangerous to ride right now. I attached pics so you can see what he did. I immediately removed the ugly leather bag. I have located some inexpensive mid controls but they can't be mounted without fabbing and welding some brackets on the frame.
I really think you’re going to find that rear swing arm is completely different.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,418 Posts
I hate to say it, but it might be better to sell the XR and buy something else.
On the other hand, if you like turning wrenches. I think the swingarm on both bolt to the motor.
So if the motor will bolt in, it might work. I don't know.
The injection on the XR is downdraft and the XL is side draft.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2009 HD XR1200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really want to sell the XR and buy a different bike because there really isn't another bike like it. Trying to make a Roadster feel like the XR would be fairly expensive. I still think solving my problem with shifting the XR is the most expedient way to go.
I know I can get the Pingel electric shifter but I would prefer to stick with standard style shifting. That means finding a way to install mid controls. I have no way of making the brackets or welding them to the frame, nor do I know of any fabrication shop around here that does that kind of work. I am considering the Roland Sands mid controls and I will call them this week. All the pics I've seen show them mounted on pre-2004 solid mount Sportsters. In addition, the controls were designed for an XL so they will not work as delivered on the XR's rear brake. I believe the rear brake method used by baddcactus would work with the RSD kit but I don't know the details of what he did. He described using two parts from forward controls, one stock and one highly modified, along with a modified mid control foot peg shaft. If anyone knows more about the RSD controls please let me know. I will post more or start a new thread if I get any significant info from them. If all else fails, I can still go with the Pingel electric shifter.

·
Let's Ride
355 Posts
I don't really want to sell the XR and buy a different bike because there really isn't another bike like it. Trying to make a Roadster feel like the XR would be fairly expensive. I still think solving my problem with shifting the XR is the most expedient way to go.
I know I can get the Pingel electric shifter but I would prefer to stick with standard style shifting. That means finding a way to install mid controls. I have no way of making the brackets or welding them to the frame, nor do I know of any fabrication shop around here that does that kind of work. I am considering the Roland Sands mid controls and I will call them this week. All the pics I've seen show them mounted on pre-2004 solid mount Sportsters. In addition, the controls were designed for an XL so they will not work as delivered on the XR's rear brake. I believe the rear brake method used by baddcactus would work with the RSD kit but I don't know the details of what he did. He described using two parts from forward controls, one stock and one highly modified, along with a modified mid control foot peg shaft. If anyone knows more about the RSD controls please let me know. I will post more or start a new thread if I get any significant info from them. If all else fails, I can still go with the Pingel electric shifter.
Without going back and checking past post... Where are you actually located?

·
Registered
824 Posts
If I remember correctly Baddcatus welded a threaded bung to the left side of his frame, so he could mount the mid control footpeg bracket for shifting.. That part looks simple enough to do.

The right hand rear brake is the hard part because of the exhaust system being in the way of the mid control bracket.
The good thing about your bike is you already have an modified exhaust.
I would remove your existing exhaust system for welding a bung on right side frame mock up purpose of your brake mid control.
Then build the exhaust around your new mid controls.
This sounds like a lot of work. But it is a lot less work than finding a XL frame and switching engine and having to fabricate more things to make it fit.

Or modify mid control on left side and leave rear set on brake side.

·
Registered
2009 HD XR1200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've nixed the XL frame idea since fitting the tank, brake cylinder, etc, would require fabricating brackets and welding them to the frame, which was what I wanted to avoid in the first place. As far as making and welding mid control bungs onto the frame, it sounds simple enough if you have access to a machine shop, welders, and are a skilled welder, which I am not. I referenced the RSD mid controls because, since they bolt onto the engine, they don't need the bungs welded to the frame. However, they still need a pivot fabricated to replace the XR's stock brake lever. Baddcactus modified a shifter from forward controls but I don't know exactly what he had to do other than what I see in his photos, along with his somewhat vague description. I am only 15-20 miles from him but he hasn't answered any of my inquiries. I am located in Fullerton, CA, in north Orange County. Another possibility would be to adapt an XL brake cylinder to sit as it does on an XL. Then the RSD mids would bolt right up. However, the only pics I've seen show them mounted on a pre-rubber mount XL, which has the cylinder mounted on the right side behind the right foot peg. My 2006 XL has the cylinder mounted underneath the frame. I called RSD but couldn't get anyone so I left a message. I will relay any info they give me. As for moving only the left foot peg forward, although that would solve the shifting problem, I think having one foot forward and one back would feel awkward, like on a bicycle, but it might be okay temporarily while figuring out how to adapt the brake. At this point, I think the RSD controls are too expensive so unless I can find some used, I won't pursue that route. The Pingel electric shifter is even more expensive. Standard mid controls are available relatively cheap used so figuring out how to go that route looks best for now. Thank you all for the input.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
Goofyfoot, I admire your persistance & careful consideration of the situation & each option which might be a valid fix. I've watched your thread here with growing respect as you discuss all the developments. Hang in there and work it out, the XR ride experience is going to be worth it, I'm sure. Best wishes mate.

J.

·
Let's Ride
355 Posts
You being on the West Coast... Well that idea is out the window. I was hoping you were on the East Coast. I have a machine shop and also do fabrication. I was thinking if you were close you could bring the bike to me and I could help you out. The offer is still there just let me know if I can help with anything.

·
Registered
2009 HD XR1200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks the encouragement. I've discovered that the RSD mid control bracket extends back behind the foot peg and the stock brake cylinder and reservoir bolt onto the bracket, eliminating the stock bracket. I only have to find out if the controls will bolt on an XR and whether it accepts the stock XR cylinder. When I checked their website I saw that the contrast cut finish (shown in pic 1 & 2) is listed at $357 but is out of stock. It's not my favorite finish but I can live with it to save $312. Hopefully the price won't jump when it's back in stock. Their showroom is only about 10-15 miles from me so I can go check them out in person and see what I think. I included some pics of them mounted on a 2007 XL883 bobber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 HD XR1200
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, if you mean an XL shift lever, I have to buy one, but I can pick up a used one on eBay for $20-30. I talked to RSD today. They're not sure whether the brackets will fit so, as soon as I get a working brake light, I will ride the bike over there and do a mock up. It won't be a fun ride since, although I can do the 1-2 shift, all shifts above that are extremely slow and awkward, requiring me roll my knee sideways about a foot. Originally the shift peg would slip off my foot but replacing it with a much larger XL peg helped that. I will try to stay on roads that allow me to stay in top gear. The tech at RSD did confirm that the low price listed was incorrect. There is one on eBay for $437 so I need to hurry and confirm this works before that is gone. I will report back my findings.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,418 Posts
Ok I don't know if this will work for you or not.
When I first stated riding in the 60's. There was a fellow who rode with us that whose leg was in a metal brace from polio.
He had his shifter angled up and up shifted with his heel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts