XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 XR, Rode it yesterday... tried to start it today and everything powered up fine, right when i pushed to start it tried for a split second and it died and the gauges went black... now when the key is on ACC the tachometer flickers at random and the speedo lights up...when its in the RUN position the oil pressure and neutral lights light up really slowly but the gauges stay black...OH and when the alarm system goes off it makes no noise... weird... any help? (checked the fuses... all good)

·
Super Moderator
8,308 Posts
is this the original battery in the bike?, if it is maybe its on the way out
Try exchanging the relays, can you hear the whine of the fuel pump when you turn the handlebar switch to the Run position?
I know it sounds so simple, but did you check the battery connections that negative lug down below the battery on the left side, Harley motors vibrate a lot and maybe it became loose
For 2009 the NAPA relay is Echlin AR614, maybe try a new one and see if it helps, they are around $9.00 each and you need 2 of them.
Let us know what you find.
Regards
Roy

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Had a similar problem with a computer a while ago. Let's follow along with tech support from that experience....
1. Is your computer plugged in?
2. Are you sure?
3. Have you paid your power bill?
4. Are you sure?
5. Did you deposit your paycheck so that there's money in the account to cover the check you wrote to the Electric Company?
6. Are you sure?
7. You DO have a job, right?

Folllow these steps and you should be fixed by next month.
You're welcome.
CD

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
is this the original battery in the bike?, if it is maybe its on the way out
Try exchanging the relays, can you hear the whine of the fuel pump when you turn the handlebar switch to the Run position?
I know it sounds so simple, but did you check the battery connections that negative lug down below the battery on the left side, Harley motors vibrate a lot and maybe it became loose
For 2009 the NAPA relay is Echlin AR614, maybe try a new one and see if it helps, they are around $9.00 each and you need 2 of them.
Let us know what you find.
Regards
Roy
+1 on everything Roy said. I'd test the battery first. Oh, and even though the fuses are good inspect the prongs closely for corrosion. The prongs should be smooth and shiney.

Had a similar problem with a computer a while ago. Let's follow along with tech support from that experience....
1. Is your computer plugged in?
2. Are you sure?
3. Have you paid your power bill?
4. Are you sure?
5. Did you deposit your paycheck so that there's money in the account to cover the check you wrote to the Electric Company?
6. Are you sure?
7. You DO have a job, right?

Folllow these steps and you should be fixed by next month.
You're welcome.
CD
Hey, I've had that tech support person before!

·
Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
Solenoid on the starter?.......I had that problem with mine....It froze up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the the positive battery connection and it was good... ill have to check negative tomorrow... I noticed the corrosion on the fuse prongs and it made me nervous, if its on the fuses it must be on the connections (sh*t)... and no there isn't any fuel pressure noise when you flipped the run switch... I just find it really unusual how the symptoms change so much depending on the key location... Ill keep looking tomorrow...and I'll let you know....

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Step 1:

Make sure you have a good battery with a good charge and good connections.

Step 2:

Don't even worry about any other steps until you have confirmed Step 1.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
.....I noticed the corrosion on the fuse prongs and it made me nervous....
You either have to clean each fuse with emery cloth and electrical contact cleaner and coat them with dielectric grease or do what I did, replace 'em all.....the prongs of the relays too.

Cleaning the contacts they plug into is tougher...do your best then spray a can of contact cleaner in there :)

Rotsa' Ruck!

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Step 1:

Make sure you have a good battery with a good charge and good connections.

Step 2:

Don't even worry about any other steps until you have confirmed Step 1.
EXACTLY - Back to basics here before worrying about Fuses, relays, or the moon cycle as related to astrology

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same problem. The reason was simply - my bike was losing electricity. All the screws of the battery and in engine block was disassembled.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Hi kamadir. Been lurking about a year now. Why the sudden post?
And when are you going to join in and at least tell us where you are and what color your XR1200 is?

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Had a similar problem with the RK and it was the battery in the fob for the security

·
The Minister of Clarity
170 Posts
Had the same prob with on 07 sporty. Fretted me to death. Called Thundermax. They said to check fuses, relays AND the ECM connection for corrosion. It was the ECM connection. Cleaned available pins with alcohol and a Q-tip, packed with silicone dialectric grease, didn't wash the bike as much, and life was good.

·
H-D guy
247 Posts
Check battery connections first! Then if you have corrosion you got issues, Like battery drain, no start and wild light issues.Plus if you have an original battery think about replacing it. That cant hurt.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts