XR1200 Owners Group banner

3181 - 3200 of 3217 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Loved Sam, and the 60's. Listened to the albums that these were off of, last night. Two amazing vocalists, arrangers... tp

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
And in some breaking musical news, I just landed the bass role in a little blues & roots 3 piece combo here in Melbourne, named the Phil Zinger Band. You can see some more about them at Reverbnation.com under that name. Was a whirlwind recruitment, I saw the ad in a local musos' site called Melband on the Wednesday, kind of chewed the idea over internally for a couple of days, finally decided while at the supermarket on Sat afternoon to at least give the main man a call, did so, went up to where he lives in the hills on Sun arvo for a longer chat & got more serious about it after getting to know him a bit better. Then got together with the guys the next night for a play & was offered the position by close of business. They are both genuinely nice guys who are seriously good players, but what sealed it for me was the trifecta of plusses:

1. They have their own P.A. and rehearsal space at the drummers house, which is within 20 mins drive of my place. Such a bonus. I hate driving for miles to get to & from expen$ive rehearsal hire rooms, some of which are just dives, pretty squalid dumps really.

2. Stonking repertoire of 60's thru 2010's blues & kinda country rock covers (think CCR, SRV, JHE, Cream, Stones, JJ Cale, plus some less well known. They also do a few originals. I dabble in songwriting and home recording so who knows, maybe there's latitude to get a Shackman original in the set list from time to time).

3. And the big one: they've been getting impressive amounts of gigging work, 34 paid gigs in the 4 years the band's been operating. Which would have been closer to 40 if not for Wu Flu, they haven't worked since lockdowns began here in March, almost 8 months. That was what really impressed me- the track record, especially of repeat bookings. That's a highly meaningful sign of a crowd pleasing act which venues want to have back. And also why I was reluctant to throw in with a completely new outfit trying to start up from scratch at ground level with no rep and no profile. Call me lazy but there you go, you're probably right. Anyhow, all aboard the good ship PZB and here's hoping it all works out and I can get to band practice on the XR. I think I've worked out a way to do it with my bass in the gig bag, back pack style...!

J.

·
Super Moderator
12,478 Posts
^^^This is terrifically awesome Mr. Shackleford!^^^

Congrats and best of luck to you and the PZ Band! I'm sure there are some videos in your future.Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I agree. Congrats Shackman, on the new gig. The biggest joy in my life was being a musician. That's gone now, due to damage to and arthritis in, my right hand. No more drumming for me. Enjoy playing and if you can, post a vid of you gigging with them. I'm sure many others here would enjoy seeing and hearing that style of music. Those genres of yours especially blues, and jazz were my thing for over 50+ years of performing. tomp

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Jim, Tom & Geno,

Thanks for your good wishes, much appreciated. I anticipate some gigs over summer here, ie. Dec/Jan/Feb in Aus so I'll try to sort out some video in that period. Never posted up video here before, but there's a 1st time for everything so stand by.

Jim, we do GT & Destroyers also, my first block of 10 songs to learn includes their well known "Get a Haircut" tune. Luckily the other 2 guys still have hair. Unfortunately most of mine has gone AWOL...

Bests,

J.

·
used ta could
1,766 Posts
“Get a haircut and got a real job” hahahaha. You got bofem.
I am totally STOKED for you Shack! Music is a gift. I admire those who can make the gift. I hope we get to see video of you in your heart’s happy place.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
WDR Big Band with guest trumpeter, Roy Hargrove. Some grooving funky tunes. We lost Roy in '18, at only 49. tp

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Tom,

Loving the WDR big band stuff. Must have been a wow of an experience to be in the audience!

You know, big band must be the complete 180° antithesis of much modern computer based/copy & paste electronic dance music. I can't imagine a more intense, more highly skilled music form than this, not even orchestral. So many elements here that have to play their part, conform to one another and yet also improvise sympathetically within an overall theme. Notice also the mix of young, fluffy heads and plenty of older bald dudes in the one ensemble, which is excellent to see & is clearly the mark of a timeless genre. Great posting, mate.
And as for me, I'm off tomorow night for practice #2 with PZB, playing MUCH simpler material...

J.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Tom,

Loving the WDR big band stuff. Must have been a wow of an experience to be in the audience!

You know, big band must be the complete 180° antithesis of much modern computer based/copy & paste electronic dance music. I can't imagine a more intense, more highly skilled music form than this, not even orchestral. So many elements here that have to play their part, conform to one another and yet also improvise sympathetically within an overall theme. Notice also the mix of young, fluffy heads and plenty of older bald dudes in the one ensemble, which is excellent to see & is clearly the mark of a timeless genre. Great posting, mate.
And as for me, I'm off tomorow night for practice #2 with PZB, playing MUCH simpler material...

J.
My favorite genre to enjoy, and play, when I was able. Seems some singers don't need any assistance from others to perform, as seen here. Have a great practice and remember to post vids when ready. tp

·
Know your limits; exceed them often!
20 Posts
My favorite genre to enjoy, and play, when I was able. Seems some singers don't need any assistance from others to perform, as seen here. Have a great practice and remember to post vids when ready. tp

OMG, she has a voice like warm, melted butter!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Here she is, just goofing around. So many different things happening with just her and a trio. tp

Never seen anyone play drums like this guy does. Very robotic, but seems to work.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Was there a drummer in that clip?
Sorry, my attention must have been rivetted elsewhere.
Young Cyrille though, talent to burn, eh? And doesn't she throw herself into her work?

While I'm making cheap, gratuitous wisecracks, in all seriousness I do find most bass solos a bit of a yawn despite being a bass guy myself. But I enjoyed this guy's solo. Maybe because he doesn't take it too seriously, and just has fun with it. I will be playing some electric fretless with PZB so maybe I should pick up a few cues from him...

Another great post, Tom. You're on fire atmo!

J.

3181 - 3200 of 3217 Posts