XR1200 Owners Group banner

3161 - 3180 of 3217 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not sure how it took me so long to find him but Corb Lund is really really good....
Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans! An iconoclast if there ever was one in the musical world. He comes from the same country I grew up in; glad to hear he's got fans in the US as well as western Canada. Check out "The Truck Got Stuck" if you want a good chuckle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDY6bWT5oTM

·
Registered
919 Posts
Carmelita

How I miss her voice. Of course, this song was written by the great Warren Zevon when he was a sideman for the Everly Brothers. One of the first concerts I ever attended as a young teenager was a Canadian folkie named Murray McLaughlin who enjoyed considerable success in Canada in the 70's. He recorded "Carmelita" on one of his first albums and had a bit of a radio hit with it, and told the story (this was before Zevon was known at all) of how he traded songs with "the piano player for the Everlies". The song he traded was an ode to the "old boys down at the Salvation Army that drank my Aqua Velva" called Honky Red, and concluded his story with the wry observation that "the sonofabitch never recorded MY song". I think he still tells that story, but the context changed a lot in the intervening years lol.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Gerry,

Loved Corb Lund & The Hurtin' Albertans. Priceless. I'm going to look up the lyrics for "Hard On Equipment", the vid was a jewel.

J.

·
used ta could
1,766 Posts
Haven’t been on a bike in a few weeks. Finally got a weekend off. Saturday was a lot of catching up with chores and resting. Took a little cruise through the canyon today(Sunday) to see my pops and the theme from “On Any Sunday” popped into my head. “Bop Badah Bah Bop Bedah Bah Bop Badah Bah” .... Cruisin yeah.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Found this one last night. Debussy recorded his music by playing onto a dynamics controlled piano roll. This was played by the composer in 1913. His tempo is much faster than how most interpret it today. He did compose it, so should know how he wanted it to sound.

One of the best from today. tp

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
1960, and Big Bands were still in vogue. Here's one of the best, doing it RIGHT. At the 29 minute mark, Sonny Payne shows why he was considered one of the best drummers on the scene. tp

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Remarkable stuff Tom. If that's a smaller jazz kit he sure makes it sound twice the size!

I knew of Count Basie but have never heard of Sonny Paine. Obviously a brilliant player, and quite the showman too

And am I right in observing every single one of those guys is black? Not a single white face on stage? Was that the drill in Basie's band?

J.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Shackman,
Segregation in America had much to do with bands of the same color for several decades. Hotels, restaurants etc, were part of that, not allowing blacks and whites to stay at the same hotels, or even eat at the same restaurants. The jazz idiom was and is still colorblind. Many jammed together in the afterhours, and as time passed, bands and smaller groups, used mixed races of musicians. They were looking for the best, that understood and performed as the band desired; color didn't matter.

Still happening today in jazz. All mixed and integrated, and I'm glad about it. Just looking for the best music I can find, and don't look to see what color they are, or whether they are male or female. Some of my current favorite artists are female, and they kick butt, too. tp

3161 - 3180 of 3217 Posts