XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new here, see my introduction post in the: Introduce Yourself Pleeeze section if interested :)

Dilemma, the bike I've bought has D&D after market exhausts. They have lets say a demoniac sound! I have two options for now as I've just bought the bike so I'm kinda like on a budget till next year but I can still spare a few bucks.

Option 1: Change the exhaust. I can get my hand on a DanMoto Highwayman 2-1 brand new for a $150. Actually I guess I just need to use the muffler part?

Option 2: Quiet baffles from Drag Specialities for $35 a pair.

Option 3: You tell me :)

Cheers, here's a pic of my bike.

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Option 3, you can go back to stock, very quiet, but….heavy
seller states these are in perfect condition.

That's a possibility but honestly the only thing I'm not fond of on this bike is the twin exhausts! So either I put some quiet baffles in the D&D that I have for a few bucks or go with an inexpensive 2 in 1 till I can afford the Zard Exhaust 2 in 1. But in the end right now what I need is to quiet things down in the neighbourhood especially because I leave between 5:30 & 6:00 am in the morning... You get the picture :)

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
It seems you have 3 criteria:
A: You’re on a budget
B: You want to be quiet
C: Your dream is a 2 into 1
Your option #1 satisfies only C because no 2 into 1 is going to be quieter than what you have. Your option #2 satisfies both A and B. Go with option #2. Get the quiet cores. They’re cheap(A), they’re quiet(B), and they’ll buy you some time with your neighbors until they get used to the early a.m. rumble. Then once you’ve lulled them into a sense of conformity you can go with your dream(C).
——I’d still start by checking the packing in those D&Ds

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Don’t worry about your neighbors. If you do, you bought the wrong bike. Buy them some ear plugs!!! 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Alx1313

·
Administrator
8,481 Posts
If your handy, try reading this thread

Regards
Roy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your handy, try reading this thread

Regards
Roy
Thanks, will read.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
I have those same mufflers / slip-ons. They ARE loud. They were leaking and puffing at the seams, so I repacked and sealed them. I swear they got louder. I'm not sure what quiet baffles are available for the D&D mufflers - do you have a link? Whatever they are, make sure they seal around the end end of the pipe - these have a "false core" down the center, with a larger one around it. I'll see if I can dig up pics to show what I mean.

I picked up stock mufflers on ebay and I honestly really like them. The D&D's are heavy - the stock mufflers are only a little heavier yet. I think D&D says a 6lb difference. The stock mufflers are smooth and torquey. My D&D's would sometime feel a little flat in the 3,500 rpm range.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Talking about 2:1 exhausts -- the D&D's are much louder than a Torque Hammer 2 without DB killer. (which is what I normally run).

TH2 with DB killer sounds nice around town without drawing too much attention. I swear its quieter than stock at idle.

·
Registered
Orange 2009 XR1200 - Scotty mod, Ohlins, 52,000+ miles
32 Posts
I'm going back to stock pipes on both my XR's due to new NY laws regarding noise. With a set of aftermarket pipes, these bikes sound absolutely AWESOME... but with 30' in between houses where I live, whenever I fire a bike up, even a stock mouse-fart quiet bike is noticed. (When I fire the XR with the widow on it, my neighbor mentioned his fish in his aquarium freak out... :ROFLMAO:) Long and short of it, I don't mind the way the bikes run with the stock mufflers, and with the Scotty mod on my orange bike, it becomes quite a stealthy flier. (And FWIW, the seller of those mufflers on Fleabay is an agreeable fellow. Add them to your watch list and he'll likely come down some on price to make them more appealing... I know nothing about the seller, just saying he was willing to work with me on them, but I grabbed another set instead for a little better price. I feel it's good to have an original set anyway as these original parts are pretty difficult to find.)

·
used ta could
2,281 Posts
Talking about 2:1 exhausts -- the D&D's are much louder than a Torque Hammer 2 without DB killer. (which is what I normally run).

TH2 with DB killer sounds nice around town without drawing too much attention. I swear its quieter than stock at idle.
Sounds like skidmark’s option 3 is best. It satisfies both B&C. It’s quiet and it’s 2 into 1!!!

·
Registered
2011 XR1200x
39 Posts
Cheers 🍻 and welcome to the forum. You just might be near me. I’m west of the island, on NDIP. A friend of mine who lives just 3 streets away also has an 2009 XR. Here’s another option for you to think about. I’m thinking of selling my Vance & Hines black widow system along with my friends clapped out black widow system plus I also have the Vance & Hines ECM. If you’re interested drop on by for a beer and we’ll talk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts