XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m new here, and currently ride a Honda cbf600n. I’m going to be looking at this xr1200 some time this week at a local dealer, and was wondering if you guys had any tips on what to look out for on this bike.
Its a 2008 with 6200 miles, looks to be in good condition on the photos.
Hoping to be an xr1200 owner soon!

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
2008 was the first year for international XR's. That one looks very clean and almost showroom original except for an exhaust upgrade. It is low mileage and not raced so all indicators are it was well cared for and should be a great buy.

You might ask if they have the stock exhaust which would give you a completely original first year bike - but that's not really that important.

You might also ask if it has been tuned for the new pipe, and be sure they give you the tuner module if it was flashed.

But all in all, go for it if you like it!

And dont be afraid to not touch a thing on it and just ride - it will be unique because it is so original after all these years!

·
used ta could
1,766 Posts
There are are some cases of cracked oil tanks on the models before a vent was added but at only 6200 miles I’ll bet it’s all right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys, the ad says the original exhaust comes with the bike

·
Super Moderator
12,478 Posts
Looks like a nice specimen. 6,200 miles is hardly broken in. Ride it, you will love it. They are certainly unique bikes.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Welcome Nicholas,
XR's are a pretty special bike. 90hp (rated compared with 70 hp rated for stock XL1200 Sporties). Unique heads, stage 1 cams, dual TB's vs single TB's on regular Sporties, oil cooler, rear sets, unique alloy swing arm, better Showa suspension c/w stock Sporties, and better stock brakes, by Nissin actually. In fact the front brakes & pads are compatible with Fireblades of some years ago. The end result of these and numerous other upgrades over the stock XL is a faster, better handling, better braking, and in my view, much better looking bike.

The down side is that it's still overweight at ~ 550 lb, the tank capacity is disappointing at 13.5L (I think that's 3.5 US gallons), the stock riders seat is pretty rubbish and the pillions is worse, the stock exhaust is something like 34 lb of performance stifling boat anchor to put it simply, and the stock air filtration arrangement sucks. Well, all induction systems suck, I know, but our stock airbox/filter set up robs power and imposes needless frustrating heartburn on owners attending to simple maintainence.

However, as a 10 year owner now I remain deeply in love with my orange '10 and have no intention of getting rid of it. I have done many mods to deal with the more obvious shortcomings I mention above, as have many here. These have cost me but I really don't give a toss because the thing is just fun plus to ride, attracts admiring attention pretty much everywhere I go and marks me and all the other XR owners as real individuals. To which I have absolutely no objection.

It's been sometimes said that XR's are too Harley for most sportbike riders and too sportbike for most Harley riders. And I find that's a fair comment. Question is, are you in that slender overlap region (with us here) that can appreciate a genuinely sporty Sporty? If so, you're in good company and you'll find, like me, that the forum is a super resource for information, advice and further directions eg. modding, that you might want to go in.

As to the immediate future, I'd take that sharp black non x XR for a test ride and unless there's some glaring fault, snap it up. I believe they're a gem and hold great potential for satisfying long term ownership. You'll find they are a much more brawny, maybe even gnarly proposition than a CB600, or really, any UJM four from Japan with the possible exception of the more growly Kawasaki's, the ELR's/GPz's/the modern supercharged H2's and so forth. Note that I'm speaking of character & personality, rather than point to point speed which is measured on a drag strip or race track. In virtually any simple speed comparison with modern machinery of similar capacity, the XR will be miles behind. Yet they can give an excellent account of themselves on the street (& roads) and that's where most of us spend most of our time. Case in point: I'm far from the fastest in most of the group rides I go on, but it's rare indeed anyone on 2 wheels passes me in traffic. It has happened but it's rare. I commute most days on mine and it's never quit on me, doesn't leak and keeps on making all the right motorbike noises. So I'd be pretty confident in that black example. Just be warned, XR ownership will likely cost you but it's a fine obsession.
Cheers,

J.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Nicholas,
XR's are a pretty special bike. 90hp (rated compared with 70 hp rated for stock XL1200 Sporties). Unique heads, stage 1 cams, dual TB's vs single TB's on regular Sporties, oil cooler, rear sets, unique alloy swing arm, better Showa suspension c/w stock Sporties, and better stock brakes, by Nissin actually. In fact the front brakes & pads are compatible with Fireblades of some years ago. The end result of these and numerous other upgrades over the stock XL is a faster, better handling, better braking, and in my view, much better looking bike.

The down side is that it's still overweight at ~ 550 lb, the tank capacity is disappointing at 13.5L (I think that's 3.5 US gallons), the stock riders seat is pretty rubbish and the pillions is worse, the stock exhaust is something like 34 lb of performance stifling boat anchor to put it simply, and the stock air filtration arrangement sucks. Well, all induction systems suck, I know, but our stock airbox/filter set up robs power and imposes needless frustrating heartburn on owners attending to simple maintainence.

However, as a 10 year owner now I remain deeply in love with my orange '10 and have no intention of getting rid of it. I have done many mods to deal with the more obvious shortcomings I mention above, as have many here. These have cost me but I really don't give a toss because the thing is just fun plus to ride, attracts admiring attention pretty much everywhere I go and marks me and all the other XR owners as real individuals. To which I have absolutely no objection.

It's been sometimes said that XR's are too Harley for most sportbike riders and too sportbike for most Harley riders. And I find that's a fair comment. Question is, are you in that slender overlap region (with us here) that can appreciate a genuinely sporty Sporty? If so, you're in good company and you'll find, like me, that the forum is a super resource for information, advice and further directions eg. modding, that you might want to go in.

As to the immediate future, I'd take that sharp black non x XR for a test ride and unless there's some glaring fault, snap it up. I believe they're a gem and hold great potential for satisfying long term ownership. You'll find they are a much more brawny, maybe even gnarly proposition than a CB600, or really, any UJM four from Japan with the possible exception of the more growly Kawasaki's, the ELR's/GPz's/the modern supercharged H2's and so forth. Note that I'm speaking of character & personality, rather than point to point speed which is measured on a drag strip or race track. In virtually any simple speed comparison with modern machinery of similar capacity, the XR will be miles behind. Yet they can give an excellent account of themselves on the street (& roads) and that's where most of us spend most of our time. Case in point: I'm far from the fastest in most of the group rides I go on, but it's rare indeed anyone on 2 wheels passes me in traffic. It has happened but it's rare. I commute most days on mine and it's never quit on me, doesn't leak and keeps on making all the right motorbike noises. So I'd be pretty confident in that black example. Just be warned, XR ownership will likely cost you but it's a fine obsession.
Cheers,

J.
Thanks for all this info, hoping to be able to go see the bike tomorrow or Friday! Looking forward to it more now!

·
Bucking the trend
53 Posts
BUY IT!!!
They're getting more rare by the day, and rumor is all Sportsters will be extinct after 2022 (or soon after).
But there are TONS of spare parts still available, so no worries there. Some of the fancier aftermarket goodies are getting scarce, but that's ok, my XR-X is mostly stock and I love it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts