XR1200 Owners Group banner
13281 - 13284 of 13284 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Corey- thanks! Right now I have the crankcase vents going into the airbox like stock. I might switch it over to venting to atmosphere though. On street stuff I like to run some form of PCV, although this gets hot enough that moisture in the crankcase shouldn't be an issue.

Hey blusmbl,

I agree, the flush look is sweet. Pity you still have the age old problem of the the tank & airbox removal chore to replace/clean the element, but it is what it is. No regrets here transcending all that with a Free Spirits/Blackhorn intake. But I concede, yours does look neater.

J.

PS. And I like the gearshift decal on your R sidecover.
Agree, from what I recall the Free Spirits/Blackhorn one is discontinued though, was searching for both before deciding on this one. I probably would've gone that route if it was available as I believe it also makes a little more power over the HPA airbox. I also was bummed when this showed up and it had a foam, light blue dirtbike style filter in it, while the older versions had a K&N in them. I bought some fabric dye just to darken it up. It's actually a purple color now but behind the mesh you can't see it at all unless it's in direct sunlight.

I need to make a new batch of stickers that are all neutrals, but in the motorcycle shift pattern. :D

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Just a recommendation. Manually open the butterfly and look past it. You will see black coating the throttle body. This is the breather venting steam back into the air-box, coating your intake, and sensor. Easy to route the vented steam to atmosphere while you have the airbox off. Also I ditched the charcoal canister under the swingarm when I upgraded the rear brake line.

· Premium Member
2,082 Posts
@SKramer
I initially did the gold valves from stock, and am doing the Ohlins Cartridges now. The Gold Valves, in my opinion, are half way to cartridges. Save for them if you can.

13281 - 13284 of 13284 Posts