XR1200 Owners Group banner

12941 - 12960 of 12973 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
............................BTW , if you intend to pull the battery out completely , you might want to obtain a longer ground cable first .
The stock one is a mite short and makes re-installation an exercise in not enough hands , not enough room ,
and not enough patience .

IMO ( and others on here ) .

George
It is strange, but many XR owners have reported about the length of the negative battery cables (too short), while other owners (me included, fortunately) have reported that the cable length is not an issue at all. Strange.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Two pictures of what I found this morning.

1. Looks like the stock bars are not centered.

View attachment 247705

2. Popped the side cover off to look at the battery type snd I find
this:

View attachment 247706

I asked the owner, who wasn’t the original owner, if there was any tuner on this, or anything other than the rear shocks upgraded to YSS, and the Bassani Exhaust. He said nope. Well obviously he is not much of a bike guy, because no one would ride with the bars not centered, and no owner would not know about the Fuel Pak being there, and the leaking fork seals. Now I’m adding all fluids (engine, trans, primary, and brake)to be changed to the Race Tech Springs with Gold Valves, during the fork rebuild list.

When you remove the engine oil filter, check the filter adaptor bung see if it has come loose, you should remove it and use Blue Loctite to prevent it from coming loose in future.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
When you remove the engine oil filter, check the filter adaptor bung see if it has come loose, you should remove it and use Blue Loctite to prevent it from coming loose in future.
And consider a lithium battery if you're getting another one to replace that 06/14 item. My advice is the biggest CCA battery that will fit in the stock battery tray, and has terminal locations that are workable for your leads. Immediate 4 kg (9lb) weight loss & remarkable power retention, thus never seems to need charging. I haven't had to charge mine in 5+ years. Definitely worth the extra money at purchase, and then some.

J.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
And consider a lithium battery if you're getting another one to replace that 06/14 item. My advice is the biggest CCA battery that will fit in the stock battery tray, and has terminal locations that are workable for your leads. Immediate 4 kg (9lb) weight loss & remarkable power retention, thus never seems to need charging. I haven't had to charge mine in 5+ years. Definitely worth the extra money at purchase, and then some.

J.
That is exactly what I bought!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Glad you like them. Those are on my list.

Reactions: Chipmaker

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,580 Posts
Yesterday I had an eventful trip to see the Legendary XR tuner Boz some 150 miles away. Setting out from home at 6am still coolish at 1 degree C, I switched on my new Gerbing heated gloves, thanks for the tip Sam, on the way to Rye in East Sussex one of my Hepco and Becker panniers fell off, gone, disappeared. I retraced my route for fifty miles, nothing! Worst of all it had all my riding tools, wet gear, glasses and spare gloves in, bugger. Anyhow, a couple of hours late Boz works his magic to dial in my Storz/Bub hi level exhausts. Not great results but acceptable, but Oh My!!! what a noise. They sound fanbloodytastic. Power is down 5HP and 10ftlbs torque over the Torquehammer II. Whilst at his workshop Boz also sorted a niggling sheared off brake disc bolt on my 17" front PVM, drilled and retapped.
The ride home was pure exstacy, that raucous exhaust note, finally running sweet and all to the scenic beautiful setting sun in front of me.
I think I have actually finished with mods for a while, the bike is just how I think she should be.. Job done. .....for Now!

Attachments

·
used ta could
1,871 Posts
Yesterday I had an eventful trip to see the Legendary XR tuner Boz some 150 miles away. Setting out from home at 6am still coolish at 1 degree C, I switched on my new Gerbing heated gloves, thanks for the tip Sam, on the way to Rye in East Sussex one of my Hepco and Becker panniers fell off, gone, disappeared. I retraced my route for fifty miles, nothing! Worst of all it had all my riding tools, wet gear, glasses and spare gloves in, bugger. Anyhow, a couple of hours late Boz works his magic to dial in my Storz/Bub hi level exhausts. Not great results but acceptable, but Oh My!!! what a noise. They sound fanbloodytastic. Power is down 5HP and 10ftlbs torque over the Torquehammer II. Whilst at his workshop Boz also sorted a niggling sheared off brake disc bolt on my 17" front PVM, drilled and retapped.
The ride home was pure exstacy, that raucous exhaust note, finally running sweet and all to the scenic beautiful setting sun in front of me.
I think I have actually finished with mods for a while, the bike is just how I think she should be.. Job done. .....for Now!
AWWWWE MAN! The highs and the lows. Sorry you lost your stuff....including that 5hp. Happy for you enjoying that beautiful machine on a beautiful day.

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
She's a beauty Art!

Reactions: art

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Glad you got a Boz tune (and nice of the Bitubo people to choose a product sticker in XR orange) but oh dear...that is a real bikers disaster. Not just the pannier but your tools, glasses, wets & gloves. I admire your composure in writing about it just the following day because I'd be too devastated to talk about it for at least a week. Sincere commiserations, mate. Don't suppose you had your name on the bag contents anywhere? (Crosses fingers/toes/knees...)

J.

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Art...without a doubt, one of the nicest XR’s on the forum, Very Well Done mate!
Regards
Roy

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,580 Posts
I doubt that very much Roy, this one has had so many makeovers that major surgery will eventually be needed to keep her lookin' purdy but nice of you to appreciate the effort she makes.

·
HOW'S YER BUM FOR SPOTS?
3,580 Posts
Thanks John, you know life can be cruel sometimes but ain't no need for it to get ya down. Life is too short to worry about the little negatives it occasionally throws at us.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Gave it the 20k service, the air filter definitely needed it
Also straighten the gear shaft that I bent in a fall a couple of years ago, was afraid it was going to snap, but thankfully it didn't !
Filter.jpg

GShaft B.jpg
GShaft S.jpg

12941 - 12960 of 12973 Posts