XR1200 Owners Group banner

12861 - 12880 of 12883 Posts

·
Bidness Manager
265 Posts
Yep that's exactly the ones! I got them from someplace in US & ran them on my MT-01 for awhile. They looked too small there, and I think they look too small on the XR, too. Could never figure out why they have a gigantic, rubber-rimmed hole in the bottom of each. For one little wire. I'll post a shot from the front and some detail of the cool aluminium mounts, later today...
My first bike was a Buell Blast and I ran a set on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep that's exactly the ones! I got them from someplace in US & ran them on my MT-01 for awhile. They looked too small there, and I think they look too small on the XR, too. Could never figure out why they have a gigantic, rubber-rimmed hole in the bottom of each. For one little wire. I'll post a shot from the front and some detail of the cool aluminium mounts, later today...
Here's the front view.
P1030151.JPG

...and here's the headlight mount- machined aluminium, anodised black.
P1030152.JPG

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the added pics, Muzz. The mounts are particularly nice, almost more desirable than the lights themselves. I could use them to mount the indicators, or some small LED spots, or...hmmmm.

J.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lowe's sheet metal.jpg Layout.jpg Final look.jpg Hey there brothers and sisters. I recently bought a black 2010 XR1200 project bike with a popped gas tank problem. But i bought it anyway with a little over 4000 miles on it. I drove 14 miles and parked it in my garage and started to clean up on it. I removed the tank shell and found many plastic tank edges interfering with fit. After careful work and refitting, the shell would not fit properly. What to do? I didn't want to keep throwing time and money on the thing. Then an idea hit me. The shell would snap in at the bottom both sides but would not go over the gas tank fill and scoot up forward properly. It was off by about 1/4 inch or so. This is what i did. I fabricated an offset ring in place of the standard concentric aluminum ring from material acquired from Lowe's. I had quality snips and wondered if the material would buckle as i cut it. Thank you God, it didn't. It took about half a day total. Remember, bikers are a creative group. It will not accept all the original screws since some of the holes are covered by the ill fitting shell. However, the tank shell is snapped in at the bottom and ii sets down on top like it should, though it is not scooted forward all the way. You can't tell. I can now ride and not have the shell awkwardly sitting on the tank stressing the two rear tabs and bulging up and out. And it is not going to fly off at speed. it is a legitimate fix. Attached are some photos Thanks again. I enjoy all bikes not just HD's. Happy safe riding.
Also own 1983 Honda Ascot VT500FT.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Chinese Production,35,-$ from Flea Bay.Had to make some Cuttings to fit.Material is ABS,same as the Origin.No OEM No. inside .Easy to Paint by Can makes it a cheap Extra...))))) DSC_0010.jpg

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
New tire & Braking Wave Rotor incl. 2 new Bearings..Takes a while but makes the Unpgrad cheapo...))) )(
Next Fork Upgrade/service comes next..................Man its cold in the Garage.............

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

·
www.jp2code.net
20,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,873
Do the Dunlop American Elite tires come in sizes that will go on the XR? Not Dunlop Elite 3 or Dunlop Elite 4. Dunlop American Elite.

I picked up a set for my Sportster a few months ago because I found so many reviews from people claiming to get 40,000 miles out of a set of tires.

I lean my body into the direction of travel when I turn corners and drag the pegs some. I don't think that 2003 XLH1200 is quite an XR1200, but I push that old girl pretty good and I'm happy with her.

After 2 months that I've had the new tires, they still have the moulding tits down the centers and they have not lost traction once.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
mmhh.......40.000 miles on Set of Tires? Tell me the Secret....)))))) .)(.

I put a Michelin on the Rear because i have a near New one in the Front.
We dont have to much winding Roads her so money talks.Getting my Tires allways for 60,-$ +,store em for a Year and the Day will come i need em...)))

·
Sporty old guy
1 Posts
Fluid change and installed an old set of shift controls. Removed the racing shifter and foot peg. Might be lighter but I seem to miss too many shifts.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Picked up 2 new KN-170 oil filters so I can change the oil this weekend.
Just noticed that the length of the filters is different even though the are both KN-170 :oops:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Picked up 2 new KN-170 oil filters so I can change the oil this weekend.
Just noticed that the length of the filters is different even though the are both KN-170 :oops:
Watch out for the Oilfilternippel when the Filter is off.They come loose some times.
No big Thing but be alert.
The lenght of the Filters doesnt matter.Put a Rag & some Paper under the Filter Area & Bike.There comes a lot of Oil when spinning off the Filter.Fasten the Filter by Hand,no Power with a Oilfilterwrench.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've been in contact with K&N US and Netherlands. US said the filter specs will be the same, but length can differ when the filters were made in different factories.
K&N Netherlands asked me for a picture of the filters so they can check.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've been in contact with K&N US and Netherlands. US said the filter specs will be the same, but length can differ when the filters were made in different factories.
K&N Netherlands asked me for a picture of the filters so they can check.
I took for tecnical Reasons a Filter from a Maserati,very Short, from Champion or MANN.
The Mahle OC21 is the right Filter i use for Years on my Stock Bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Made up a new exhaust for the XR
Old:

New:

Not the happiest with all the welds, especially the overlap welds on the headers themselves... But it will do for now.
Weighs in at 12.2lbs, reasonably quiet, maybe a bit louder than I would like but not bad. I will probably shorten it up and pull the slip on a bit closer to the engine to avoid any frame mount on the pipe, it wags a bit way out where it is.

Attachments

12861 - 12880 of 12883 Posts