XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding to work this morning and filtered past a line of traffic, up to the lights.

Put my right foot down and...............couldn't. My jeans had wrapped themselves around the rear brake master cylinder and caught on it.

In the ensuing two seconds of panic, I managed to overcome my natural desire to force the situation and lifted my foot back up, just as the whole plot looked like it was going to end in tears, a big repair bill, and far more importantly - severe loss of face :(

Mercifully, my leg freed up, allowing me to repeat the whole thing some other day :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funny, I had a bow in my boot shoelace catch in/around the brake pedal yesterday with a similar feeling...not funny. Where does Storz move that master cylinder?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I manage to catch my pants on the shifting linkage on the other side a few times but not the master cylinder yet. Eventually I'd like to get a kit to eliminate that like the one Storz offers but that money issue keeps coming up...

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
lol...

That would have been embarassing [:)] and, at the least, cost you a new set of levers.

I was backing out of a customers driveway on my 883R cafe, not realizing they had a little dip where their driveway met the street. With my back tire on the street and my front tire still on the driveway I grabbed the front brake so I could check traffic before I rolled out....went to put my left foot down and there was nothing below it but the dip...I fell over with the customer and his family standing on the front porch laughing....I'm sure they were thinking, "Do we want this putz as our insurance agent?".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same happend to me when stopping at a red light.
i was about to fall over in slow motion with 10 cars around
watching me.

the cool dude on his harley falling over like kid learning to ride
his bicycle:clap::clap::clap:

i would have been on the funniest home videos......

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Hmm, would it be more embarrasing to fall over at the lights, or to wear cycle-clips. around my ankles?

Ha! Six of one, half dozen of the other, ya know?

Seriously, if it was a problem for me I wouldn't hesitate to wear the clips....I couldn't look any goofier than I already do riding around with my jacket on when it's 97 degrees and 80% humidity (like today [:(])!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You'd be OK in the States though - you could sue Harley Davidson for not explaining it in the owner's manual :innocent:

·
Metal cannot think, therefore it cannot be held re
821 Posts
I caught my laces and my jeans a number of times in the first 2 weeks. I think I must automatically just lift my right foot higher before putting it down now. It hasn't happened since.
Back in the '70s when we all used to wear bell bottoms, the kick start on my 750 Bonnie went up my trouser leg and i fell off in front of a bus stop. Much merriment for all. All i could do was lay in the road laughing.
Fortunately, these days my jeans are only flared at the top....

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
Fortunately, these days my jeans are only flared at the top....

Ahhhh....sad but true....
[:(]....and funny.....

·
The older I get, the faster I was!
63 Posts
Put my right foot down and...............couldn't. My jeans had wrapped themselves around the rear brake master cylinder and caught on it.
Let me son ride my XR a couple months after I got it. We stopped at the dealer after a ride, I dismounted from my BMW, and looked over and there is my brand new XR laying on it's right side. After counting to 10 I shouted what the f**K are you doing? He informed the same thing happened as happened to you. Fortunately, he was able to ease it down, rather than drop it.

·
Will work for tacos
446 Posts
haha reminds me of of when I was a bike messenger. I would wear clipless shoes the ones you would have to twist your foot out to get off the pedel. Sometimes it would get stuck and I fell a couple times and Im sure my face expression was so funny. Glad you got it out though could had been worse than a repair bill like maybe a Dr bill to go with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Riding to work this morning and filtered past a line of traffic, up to the lights.

In the ensuing two seconds of panic, I managed to overcome my natural desire to force the situation and lifted my foot back up, just as the whole plot looked like it was going to end in tears, a big repair bill, and far more importantly - severe loss of face :(

Mercifully, my leg freed up, allowing me to repeat the whole thing some other day :rolleyes:
get some decent bike boots (not that cowboy-biker stuff) and correct pants that go inside the boot..never had a problem with my master cylinder ;)

or try a rubber band to wrap around the jeans when riding?

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
If your bell bottoms are getting caught on th rear master cylinder guard, cover the gap with duct tape. That way it won't upset your earth shoes. :whistling: Later,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same kinda deal. Riding to work the other day I snagged the cuffs on my slacks on the foot peg feeler. What an odd feeling to not be able to get your feet up to the pegs. I just have to raise my feet extra wide when I wear slacks with cuffs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Happened to me, I caught my trouser hem on the brake cylinder, and went down in slo-mo.....in front of my son and 1/2 dozen of his mates!!!!!!!
Sorted out a cheap as chips home fix.
An appropriately sized lid from an aerosol can, preferably in black (I used one from a paint spray can) to fit inside the cylinder guard, and a tin clip from one of those cheap clip picture frames.
The aim is for the lid to just fit inside the guard.
I fitted it last year and no more accidennts.
I'll post up a piccie of how I fitted it, when I get a spare moment. :)

·
Ride It Like Its Stolen
402 Posts
Happened to me, I caught my trouser hem on the brake cylinder, and went down in slo-mo.....in front of my son and 1/2 dozen of his mates!!!!!!!
Sorted out a cheap as chips home fix.
An appropriately sized lid from an aerosol can, preferably in black (I used one from a paint spray can) to fit inside the cylinder guard, and a tin clip from one of those cheap clip picture frames.
The aim is for the lid to just fit inside the guard.
I fitted it last year and no more accidennts.
I'll post up a piccie of how I fitted it, when I get a spare moment. :)
Sorry for the old thread bump but this just happened to me as well. I dumped the bike in the driveway when I moved my leg away from the bike. I ended up tearing my pant leg to keep it from landing on me. I've opened a service ticket with Harley about this and hope that they will see about resolve this issue. I am curious though.. Has anyone else had this problem?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.