XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

replacing my brake pads, I made the mistake of using a 3/16 SAE allen drive, instead of a 5 mm metric allen. Yeah, all those Nissin brake components are metric. A 3/16 is around 4,7mm, so it was too small, et it ripped inside.

Conequently, I completely destroyed the bolt head of one of the 2 pads holder screws.
The screw is in aluminium very very fragile, my attemps created a small dust of screw metal all around the caliper

A 5mm allen won't have any effect now, the screw head became circular, instead of 6 sides. I could try using a 5,5mm and forcing my wat in, but I doubt it's gonna work, I cound damage the caliper threading.

I'm gonna try drilling and extracting (or I m listening to any better idea).

Id like to buy the replacement screw before I try.

The problem is, the HD # for the screw is the "Pad kit",a pack with pads, screws, and the metal back stuff.

42739-08 BRAKE PAD KIT, FRONT, for 40$ + shipping to france

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...%28LA%29-BRAKE---FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-ASSEMBLY

I don't need the stock pads, or the metal stuff, and 40$ a screw is a little bit expensive.

Anyone would have a spare screw for sale ?
Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Silja, I think you may find a screw for a honda will fit, cos they look like the pins in my cb1300,and my old dominator. I bet its cheaper!!!!!
Rick

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Silja, you may try taking the boogered-up bolt/screw to a Honda dealer and seeing if they can match it up. Try to find an "old" parts guy, 'cause a young one will ask what it's off of then say,"We don't have nothing that will fit a Harley!"

So find an old parts guy and tell him the calipers are the same as the Honda RC-51 .... Then they will understand :)

·
Burden to society
3,330 Posts
There seems to be more of the Xrs in Europe maybe the shop has an old one????? Most mechanics keep a few odds and ends around.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the honda microfiche, I'l try to get the honda SKU first.

so far, the list of the bike which share the exact samed nissin caliper is:

-2005 RC51 (or RVT1000R)
-CBR 600 Fireblade
-VTR1000F

-NX650 dominator ?

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Ha! Sorry CASTROLSTORM, didnt mean to post on top of you. That's why I hate posting from an iPhone, it takes soooo long to reply.....anyway, great minds think alike, eh?

And to prove it we both had Dominators!

:) :) :)

·
Metal cannot think, therefore it cannot be held re
821 Posts
The screw is made from steel (bright zinc plated) and screws into the aluminium caliper body. What you could try if you have destroyed the 5mm hexagon, is to force a Torx bit into what is left of the hole, using an impact driver.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the Honda REF

its

PIN, HANGER
45215-MAS-E01

now I've got to get this to france...

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Good Job Silja! And "Bonne Chance" with all that :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Silja, Glad we could point you in the right direction, and stop you getting ripped off by H-D.
While you are at it, can you cross reference front and rear pads, and let us all know what bikes to buy pads for.
Rick

·
www.jp2code.net
20,699 Posts
Silja,

If there is a good hardware store anywhere near you, they can typically find a way to get odd bolts for little money. I've located a few such places around here. Knowing where they are is the trick.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just discovered a great site, https://www.powersportsplus.com, and ordered from them

my screw, ref, 45215-MAS-E01, for 4 dollars, shipping to USA for 1,75 $ (all other sites were at least 12$ shipping, for just a tiny screw)

so thanks to you guys, I got my screw for less than 10$, instead of 40$ from HD (even though for this price, I had a set of pads, but I only use sintered ones..)

Now let's hope the honda screw is ok on my XR; But I really think it will be.

The brake pads for these hondas bikes listed before would work on our XR no problem.

Personnally, I like EBC pads: the model for us is
-organic FA296
-sintered normal FA296HH
-sintered race EPFA or GPFA 296HH

Then I tried (and loved) the Braking HGA 827CM55 (sintered race 827CM66). They performed even better than the 387HH, but died quickly.

And all this story started when I tried to install the Ferodo FDB2114ST, that I had just found at good price on ebay, and wanted to give a try.
Next time I'll buy the StreetExcel SBS 1721-1241

For the rear, the caliper and the pads can only be found on a harley.
In aftermarket, I recommend EBC FA387 (HH) (HH stands for sintered, this is what i ride now, and whow what an improvement on the rear brake with sintered pads! even if I heard it's not recommended with the cast iron rotor. Nah, works great for now)
An other sintered rear alternative is Braking HGA901CM88.

Stay away from Drag specialities for brake pads. They make all models for all bikes, but they're all crap.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
The screw should fit just fine. Just make sure your Harley-Davidson doesn't reject the Honda screw. :whistling:

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Silja,

If there is a good hardware store anywhere near you, they can typically find a way to get odd bolts for little money. I've located a few such places around here. Knowing where they are is the trick.
No where near a "Normal" type screw Joe. Special shape and size for locating the brake pads.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, good luck finding that in a hardware store !

Line Font Household hardware Auto part Engineering
So, to try making my infortunate experience useful to others, here is what I can say:

-the screw is referenced at Honda by PIN, HANGER 45215-MAS-E01, it holds the pads of the Nissin calipers, used in a lot of honda bike, as well as in our XR.

-it's a metric allen head. Use a 5 mm allen, and never a 3/16inch.
-if you just know that, you should be fine a live a normal life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.