XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Pipe Hitter
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the widow 2/1/2 system about a year ago (the black, guess i should have sprung for stainless) anyhow after less than a year, the header pipes are severely discolored and turning grey rapidly. the allen bolt fasteners that keep the can together are rusted solid. this bike is always garage kept and has only been caught in the rain briefly once, cleaned biweekly. contacted V&H tech support and warranty division... here's their response (below).. extremely disappointed and won't be purchasing any V&H products again. if you're considering the Widow exhaust just be aware of the quality if product, and customer support (or lack thereof) you'll be dealing with. :mad:

Hello Brian,
I regret to inform you that our warranty department has refused your warranty request. This style of exhaust is non shielded so the pipe will discolor and the rust is not covered under our manufacture defect warranty. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you,
Arsenio Avellaneda / Customer Service Representative
VANCE & HINES
13861 Rosecrans Ave. Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670t.(562) 921-7461f.(562) 802-7466

·
Registered
494 Posts
D&D. Excellent customer service. The rivets on my exhaust can came loose after a year or so. Sent them a picture , they responded back they needed a copy of the invoice and a couple more pictures and I had a new exhaust can. The whole process took a couple of weeks. Great preforming pipe.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
The problem with discoloring and rust of the V&H pipes is WELL documented on here, unfortunately

·
XRx Owner
1,393 Posts
I already had mine redone ($300) once with what I guess I would call a standard matte/flat finish ceramic coating and its rusting again.

I also should have gone with the SS version and will one day if I can find a place to buy it when I'm ready or when this set rusts through itself with a hole. I'm now into the pipes for the same price I could have put out the first time around for the SS version but at the time I wanted the blacked out look. Didn't know it would come with free orange flake accents.

I wonder if anyone out there paid the higher cost and shipping hassle from the name brand Jet-Hot company to get their Black Widows redone. Did it last longer and is it a better finish that prevented rusting?

I also wonder how much it would be to take them off and have them remade by a local metal shop. I'm guessing more than another recoat with ceramic coating and closer to or more than the cost of the SS pipes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I replaced the Allen bolts in the cans for about 75 cent each it takes about five minutes ( I used ace hardware ) matte stainless I think. When they started coloring I erred them I sprayed with I temp paint first but is dis colored them. Then the o2 sensor started backing out. I just swaped front and rear it slightly stripped them or walleyed the hole out a bit. Since they lack support like the oem the rear tube came out of the 1/2 inch long outer tube where the exhaust flange mounts. Just pressed fit I guess. I drilled two holed through and got a local shop to put in two spot welds. It broke again but I will take credit I did not have it mounted firmly this time cause last time a few bolts come out which I should have replaced. I'm going to take a hack saw to the and make slip one and use the oem pipe now.

·
My 1st Harley
211 Posts
V&H are actually sitting back on this issue? I can't believe it!
These guys are mass producing a product which discolors and rusts?????

·
Ride It Like Its Stolen
402 Posts
Im running the stainless pipe and have nothing but good things to say about it. Sad that the black pipes never seem to last. :(

·
Jack of all trades...master of none.
216 Posts
I had the black set when I first bought the bike and they looked like hell after just one season of riding. Pretty ridiculous. Definitely happy with my stainless setup I have now!

·
My 1st Harley
211 Posts
Any pictures? I just ordered my blacks and want to know how to prep them before installing!
Which part of the exhaust, the steel part from manifolds to xpipe to mufflers?
What about the Mufflers themselves?

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
The black V&H will discolor. Fully tuning the bike on a dyno with good fans, as soon as you install, will help keep them cooler and slow discoloring. Replacing the hardware with good quality stainless will also help.

But, if you just have to have black on that pipe and you want it to last, send the system off to Jet Hot for coating before you mount it.

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
Any pictures? I just ordered my blacks and want to know how to prep them before installing!
Which part of the exhaust, the steel part from manifolds to xpipe to mufflers?
What about the Mufflers themselves?
abelfonseca's bike:

That was taken about 4 or 5 years ago, though.

I'll send him a PM to see if he can post a current pic.

·
My 1st Harley
211 Posts
Anyone know if V&H have addressed this issue since?

·
Registered
651 Posts
DSCF0580.jpg
As an added note:
These pipes will cook your leg!
I've only had the bike a couple of weeks and have burnt holes in or scorched 3 or 4 pant legs.

It's uncomfortable and probably dangerous.

I don't want to wrap them and have them rust even faster, and haven't yet stumbled into any old shields to fashion to the pipe.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Anyone know if V&H have addressed this issue since?
This is not an isolated issue with just the XR1200 pipe. About 4 years ago I bought a new V&H Supersport 4into1 pipe for my 82 CB900F and it went from black to rust showing within 3 months. At that point it had been stored indoors always, and rust appeared after a single weekend trip when it saw rain for first time. I found out at that time ALL V&H pipes that are painted black do this, they won't warranty any of them. Problem is the coating that V&H uses, and has been documented long before I had my new pipe issue, so things are not likely to change.

·
Premium Member
14,911 Posts
View attachment 40025
As an added note:
I've only had the bike a couple of weeks and have burnt holes in or scorched 3 or 4 pant legs.

I don't want to wrap them and have them rust even faster, and haven't yet stumbled into any old shields to fashion to the pipe.

Lol....do you have a tuner?

·
XRx Owner
1,393 Posts
Yeah mine get hot but have never done that to my jeans in 7K+ miles

·
Super Moderator
7,896 Posts
View attachment 40025
As an added note:

I'm with Magoo.

Have you had the bike tuned?

I ride the stainless V&H and they have never seemed that hot. Mine are not at all uncomfortable riding through the summer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the Vance and Hines fuel pack.

I just called Vance and Hines.
They have no suggestion other than wiping down the pipe after each ride for addressing the corrosion issue.
Said it's considered a competition pipe, so that while they are aware of the pant leg issue, they have not developed any type of heat shielding for the pipe.
I asked if I had 3 or 4 settings or something for tuning, and how to determine the values that are entered now, and was directed to a Vance and Hines fuelpack website where I can research it a bit more.

Anyone have any more quicky tips?
Please chime in!

·
Premium Member
14,911 Posts
I have the Vance and Hines fuel pack.

Lol....yes, I have a suggestion :) ..... Put your FuelPak on eBay and buy at least a PTF ..... It goes without saying but I'll say it anyway (you can't shut me up when I get going.. :) ) make sure you are running only the highest octane pump fuel available.... I run 93 'cause 89 will burn holes in your pants... :nana:.......Do you have any pinging from that motor? :)

1 - 20 of 98 Posts