XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I start removing my forks for rebuilding and Gold Valve installation(with springs too), I want to replace the "boat anchor" front brake discs. Well, maybe not THAT heavy, but when one of the fronts is also a replacement for the rear, it's a little heavy to me. Upgrading them to 11-12 X model discs is an option, or go with something aftermarket. Galfer, Braking.. all sell them in singles, because they are not directional. I have found these on ebay, but am very reluctant to purchase an off- brand disc, unless someone here has good experience with Tarazon Discs.
For Sportster XR1200 XR1200R Roadster XL883R XL1200R Front Brake Discs Rotors | eBay

I know top of the line are Brembo's, but way too $$ for me, and I'm not racing, so I wouldn't need them. I don't think I need full-floating discs either. Just better pads, and upgraded discs.

Just want to know what some of your are currently using, not what was used 10 years ago.

·
Let's Ride
183 Posts
I have been looking for a while, and I've found they are all kinda expensive. $300 per front rotor is about normal. I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased some Oversized ones from Jeremy Connors ($600 for 2 rotors and adapters, normally sell for $800+) and I really like them. Worth the bucks to me.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you go to 320mm Rotors the Calipers have tobe relocated.292mm is the Std size of the XRX Rotors.Trying to fit 300 mm rotors from a Dyna LowRider wont work good at the first Try.Maybe they fit when modify the Calipers inside.But they are very Heavy,more than the Brembos.Go for the Brembos,they are the Best for the Money without any Problems.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you go to 320mm Rotors the Calipers have tobe relocated.292mm is the Std size of the XRX Rotors.Trying to fit 300 mm rotors from a Dyna LowRider wont work good at the first Try.Maybe they fit when modify the Calipers inside.But they are very Heavy,more than the Brembos.Go for the Brembos,they are the Best for the Money without any Problems.
Noted! Sometimes you just have to buy better. Not looking to go bigger. What upgraded pads are being used instead of stock, unless stock is preferred(said no one ever...)?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These have been on my watchlist, so I just pulled the trigger on them. New.

I am more of a sport bike rider, so what upgraded pads should I use? I know not to use race pads, but EBC HH Double Sintered Pads and worked great on my other bike.

·
Let's Ride
183 Posts
Adapters? What are these adapters you speak of? Are they just for the discs Jeremy was selling?

EBC from Summit Racing:
Yes. The rotors are oversized. And they come with adapters that move the caliper out. Not a problem and very easy to install. I also use EBC HH pads.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For my 2009 Forks, I will need these adapters to allow the calipers work to Brembo Discs correctly? Are these factory adapters or are they available aftermarket somewhere? So the fork lowers are different on the 09-20, than the 11-12?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If using the oem Brembos 292 mm you dont need any Adapters.Just for the 320mm.
Brembos costs around 345,-$ here a Set.Better to buy now because 292mm will go out of Stock.The XR is OLD!!!!
Dont use sintered Pads for Racing on the Road.You dont need them and the Rotors will last forever.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If using the oem Brembos 292 mm you dont need any Adapters.Just for the 320mm.
Brembos costs around 345,-$ here a Set.Better to buy now because 292mm will go out of Stock.The XR is OLD!!!!
Dont use sintered Pads for Racing on the Road.You dont need them and the Rotors will last forever.
Thank you, and I appreciate the advice. Didn’t think that I needed the adapters but I think that’s how I read the post above. As you stated, I did see adapters adapters I need it for the larger ones.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,827 Posts
Thank you, and I appreciate the advice. Didn’t think that I needed the adapters but I think that’s how I read the post above. As you stated, I did see adapters adapters I need it for the larger ones.
Just my .02 worth but I got the 292 mm dia Brembo's last year, Serie Oro, as did Hoges in Queensland who put me on to them. They were $510 AUD for the pair with shipping from Genial Motor in Italy. That equates to about $382 USD if you make the AUD about 75 US cents, which it more or less has been for months.

Never heard of Tarazon or where they are made but they might be OK, at least on looks. Note that they are an 8 button arrangement b/n rotor and hub where Brembo give you 10. However you'd hate to find out the hard way in a panic stop that there was any deficiency with your front brakes. In use here the Brembo rotors have been totally fine, confidence inspiring in fact. I can't see the 320 mm rotors are really needed for street use unless you're also doing track days on your street XR. Then maybe. Otw the 292's are totally fine for all round use, including play racing.

However, I differ with RR re the HH standard pads. I've used either EBC or SBS HH/double sintered pads for 6 -7 years, mostly with the stock rotors & recently with the Brembo 292's, & have absolutely no complaints. Always progressive, predictable and powerful braking regardless of conditions. Happy to pay extra for the HH rating, you only need one high drama moment to be glad you did.

J.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just my .02 worth but I got the 292 mm dia Brembo's last year, Serie Oro, as did Hoges in Queensland who put me on to them. They were $510 AUD for the pair with shipping from Genial Motor in Italy. That equates to about $382 USD if you make the AUD about 75 US cents, which it more or less has been for months.

Never heard of Tarazon or where they are made but they might be OK, at least on looks. Note that they are an 8 button arrangement b/n rotor and hub where Brembo give you 10. However you'd hate to find out the hard way in a panic stop that there was any deficiency with your front brakes. In use here the Brembo rotors have been totally fine, confidence inspiring in fact. I can't see the 320 mm rotors are really needed for street use unless you're also doing track days on your street XR. Then maybe. Otw the 292's are totally fine for all round use, including play racing.

However, I differ with RR re the HH standard pads. I've used either EBC or SBS HH/double sintered pads for 6 -7 years, mostly with the stock rotors & recently with the Brembo 292's, & have absolutely no complaints. Always progressive, predictable and powerful braking regardless of conditions. Happy to pay extra for the HH rating, you only need one high drama moment to be glad you did.

J.
Thanks for the feedback. This is my first 573 lbs. curb weight (41 stone) bike. I don't want to go skimpy on the brakes when needed, but I agree again, no need for the oversize discs, or racing pads for this bike, and my riding style, even if I do a track day with @ghebinkim in the future.

I have always gone with stock rear pads when racing, as I apply front brakes first, then slowly add the rear. Rain riding is a different story, as is running off course on a track day, then no front brakes at all, only rear. Never ever use racing pads for daily riding or even back-road riding.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Pick a brand. but deffo go with the HH sintered over the OEM (or any organic for that matter). JMHO

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Genial Motors in Rimini/Italy.Yep thats my Source.They lowering the Price for a Set 230,-$.314,- Euros incl. Shipping is the Price.If i sell my sec. Hand Rotors for around 150,-Euros its a good Deal.But my rotors are near New because never Raced.So why ?On black Friday i bought a Braking rear Wave Rotor.Great Performance and Look.

My Brake Pads are Organic and for a Honda CBR 900 from CHINA.A Set of 3 for 9,99,-$.....)))
Broke em in the first Miles and they work fine to me.Not to much Brake Dust.
No Wear Signs on the Rotors.If you want a Brand use EBC .Right.You cant go wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And the eBay seller stated they are on backorder.
Hi, sorry for a delay, was searching if any distribution has these in stock
They are on back order and last message from Brembo was end of May
Would you consider BrakeTech rotors if available?”

I don’t think I want to go with BrakeTech as I have not heard of them. Not in a hurry now, so I think I’ll wait. Total paid including tax and shipping is $612.00 for the set.
Suggestions? Buy on the other side of the pond from the recommendations above?
They shouldn’t list something they don’t have in stock. so I know I’ll get my $$ back.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To add, stock 11-12 front brake discs are obsolete here in the states.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,827 Posts
And the eBay seller stated they are on backorder.
Hi, sorry for a delay, was searching if any distribution has these in stock
They are on back order and last message from Brembo was end of May
Would you consider BrakeTech rotors if available?”

I don’t think I want to go with BrakeTech as I have not heard of them. Not in a hurry now, so I think I’ll wait. Total paid including tax and shipping is $612.00 for the set.
Suggestions? Buy on the other side of the pond from the recommendations above?
They shouldn’t list something they don’t have in stock. so I know I’ll get my $$ back.
Corey, check the Genial Motors website. As RR says, they're in Rimini, Italy. They currently have the Brembo Serie Oro 10 button steel/alloy rotors for XR at 146 Euro which is 41% off. Rear Braking petal rotors for XR are 141 Euro, 26% off. Brembo front/rear pads for XR (shouldn't be any issues with those) at 28/27 Euro, also on special.

Both Hoges and I were pleasantly suprised how quick delivery from Genial was, about one week to the doorstep in Australia after ordering. Genial state immediate shipping available on the Brembo rotors & pads, doesn't sound like they are listing something they don't have in stock.

Not sure how the Euro : USD exchange rate is atmo but I wish those prices had been around when I bought my rotors last year. I paid full whack.

Edit: sorry, just looked thru the whole page and saw you went Brembo about 6 posts above. So, well done. I also checked the eBay ad for the Tarazon discs and saw they originate from Wuxi, China, perhaps another reason to use a bit of caution.

J.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the information. Filled everything out, and it comes to $341.00 including shipping for 2 rotors/discs to California. OMG that's amazing!!! I am going to place the order, and buy pads at a later date. I'll get a refund from that seller above.

Here is the link to that site if anyone is looking for Brembo Brakes.
Motorcycle brands treated by Genial Motor S.R.L

1 - 20 of 29 Posts