XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are off to the black hills today for about a 5 day trip. Roughly 2000miles with the wife on the back (poor thing)
We will see how it goes, riding with a couple of buddies on a sportster and a street bob.
Got some sheepskins for the seats, seems like that will help a ton.

PXL_20210402_174829754.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
She's a masochist, and you are a sadist!

Sheepskin wont do Pick up an Airhawk pad for her to save your marriage!

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,827 Posts
We are off to the black hills today for about a 5 day trip. Roughly 2000miles with the wife on the back (poor thing)
We will see how it goes, riding with a couple of buddies on a sportster and a street bob.
Got some sheepskins for the seats, seems like that will help a ton.

View attachment 247712
Best wishes for a great trip but if you're packing the stock seats front & back, I'm not sure a sheepskin on top is going to save your marriage.
On the other hand, if you're still married when you get back she is some gal. I'll be praying for you.

J.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If the Towel on the Seat really helps to survive a 2K Miles Trip i will tell this to my Doctor next.
Got a Scan Disc from my Spine & Spinal Canal last week so there is Hope to make it......)))).

Good Luck for You all.stay healthy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we were going good so far, 735 miles in and everyone is doing good, only minor complaints from the wife!
Down side, we punctured the rear wheel on XR just aftter thedealers closed in Pierre SD..
Tried to patch it for a couple hours but it's not having it.
Anyone have any connections around here we could get a tire from? Otherwise we are down till monday.. oh well!
On the bright side, we have pizza and beer and made it to a hotel!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a line on a guy with a 160 or 200 width tire, anybody know if either one will fit in the back of the XR? (Even just to get me home..)

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
A 160/60 might work with that wheel. A 160/70 is really to narrow.
I cant remember how much cleaeance with my 190, but the 200 is probably too wide.

Any sportbike shops open? Better options than the HD dealer for an XR rear tire.

Or, chill on Easter, treat the wife to a nice day, and sort it out tomorrow....

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
And, if it is just a simple puncture in the tread, the Stop & Go plug kit works wonders. Uses mushroom plugs and works well. I keep one of the small kits on the bike all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We had a plug kit and tried but couldn't get it to hold, there is also a good gouge in the tire (not sure how that happened) so I don't think there is any saving the tire.
There is only one other dealer in town so my fear is if I wait till Monday I might not be able to get anything else to get home on
I think I'll give the 160 a shot and see if it'll mount up, 160 is quoted up to a 5" rim, should just flatten a bit more on a 5.5". Take it off when I get home for a proper tire

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Most dealerships are closed on Mondays.
In the meantime, what does the map of you trip look like and include the "You Are Here" marker.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
Spearfish canyon is a nice run, if you have the time.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Awesome! Great ride! What an adventure! Kudos!

·
Super Moderator
7,888 Posts
So much to see near you, and beautiful rides!

Mount Rushmore, the Crazy Horse memorial, the town of Deadwood can be fun, Needles Highway, the town of Keystone, Custer State Park and the Wildlife Loop, lot's of great scenery!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Sturgis is only 1383 miles from me, and with the range I have read that most here seem to be getting of 110 miles per tank, it would be about 13 stops for gas.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts