XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
TSSM install (ok, really it's a HFSM - but I used the old term when I originally wrote this)

My bike came without the factory alarm, so I installed the new TSSM (edit note: as Deb mentioned, the version that I have is really a HFSM) with alarm (68200-07) and the auxiliary "siren" yesterday (68352-04A). Physical installation of the new TSSM (edit: or HFSM in this case) was fairly easy - just remove the battery, push the old TSM up into the battery box, remove the connector, and replace with the new module. The "siren" attaches via "double-sided" tape to a provided bracket, bolts to the frame, and connects via a cable to the TSSM.

The connector from the TSSM for the "siren" is already in the bike's wiring and is plugged into a dummy plug, wire-tied to a group of wires in front of the battery. I reached in through the battery box and cut the tab on the dummy plug (not the wire-tie around the other wires), so that I could pull back the cable and remove the plug. The wire for this connector is taped in a bundle under the battery box. I had to reach under and carefully cut the tape so that I could pull it all the way out. In the end, I pushed the siren cable back up further into its original location, and connected the extender cable provided in the siren package to it. I pushed the large connector housing on the extender cable into the opening at the front of the battery box where the dummy plug had been and ran the cable down to the bottom of the frame where the siren bracket mounts. The "double-sided" tape that HD provided to fix the siren to the provided mounting bracket, wasn't double-sided - so I used some super glue, to glue the siren to the back of the tape.

I ran the antenna cable up the back of the battery box and over the battery, and fixed the antenna module up near the fuse block under the side cover.

Although it took 30 minutes, and I should have pulled the fuse for the lights first, the manual procedure for mating the TSSM/HFSM password code to the ECM worked fine.

The kicker is though, that the new buttonless FOBs apparently must be assigned to the HFSM using a HD Digital Tech. I can't find a manual procedure. So, I guess I'm still off to the dealer to have the FOB assigned to the HFSM so that the alarm is operational. (Edit: With button type FOBs on an older TSSM there is a manual assignment procedure also.)

All in all, it's not a bad install. It takes a few minutes to get the battery out, and the manual procedure for letting the TSSM/HFSM read the ECM password is time consuming, but it is all straight forward.

And last, a question - where does HD mount the antenna module for the alarm/FOB in a factory install?

·
All things considered I'd rather be at the FloraBa
184 Posts
Cost TSSM install?????

Phaedrus How much did all the required parts cost VS the 375.00 for factory install? Do they sell Buds at Budds Creek:rolleyes::rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Phaedrus How much did all the required parts cost VS the 375.00 for factory install? Do they sell Buds at Budds Creek:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Lakeshore HD had a recent free shipping deal with their usual 20% off. No tax, no shipping and 20% off, the alarm was about $240 - vs HD's $375 installed. For $80 more I added the battery backed siren and still stayed under the factory cost for just the alarm. It's not that I think the siren does much, I just like the idea of it.

Fortunately my local dealer will assign the FOB for me for free, since everything else is already done and it only takes a minute to enter the VIN and scan the bar code.

Yep, you can get a beer at MIRe - but it's really just the name of an old creek that runs near the track. They run some good drag racing courses there, so I try to go when I can...

·
All things considered I'd rather be at the FloraBa
184 Posts
Tsm/tssm/hfsm

Phaedrus......... the shop manual doesn't tell you where to place the antenna. But the TSSM is only used in Japan/Korea markets only. What you got is the HFSM (Hands Free Security Module). In thewiring digrams it shows all your parts , Hands free antenna (three wires), Security Siren (three wires). If somebody would buy the ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL we could have a site on how do info shop manuals ??? post questions before??? ---ASK THE MANUAL GURU'S :confused::(:eek::rolleyes::cool::D:(

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Phaedrus......... the shop manual doesn't tell you where to place the antenna. But the TSSM is only used in Japan/Korea markets only. What you got is the HFSM (Hands Free Security Module). In thewiring digrams it shows all your parts , Hands free antenna (three wires), Security Siren (three wires). If somebody would buy the ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL we could have a site on how do info shop manuals ??? post questions before??? ---ASK THE MANUAL GURU'S :confused::(:eek::rolleyes::cool::D:(
Deb, you are right. I used the old term because I'm used to the module on my 03. More properly, it is a HFSM. I went back and did a few edits to insert HFSM in the original, where it matters the most.

The antenna location doesn't matter much, so long as it isn't buried under metal - I was just curious where they put the module in a factory install - if anyone has a bike with one done in the factory....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts