XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Travis Wyman #24
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3/10:

I was very excited to compete in this years events at Daytona. Thursday morning consisted of rain with a chance of not being able to ride all day. The morning XR1200 practice was canceled but they got the dirt track together and ready for practice so I headed over to that facility. I wasn’t quite sure how I would compare to the other 58 riders, but I stayed confident in my ability and qualified 9th ! As soon as I was done at the dirt track I had to run over to the speedway to qualify on the Harley. I put in some good laps and felt comfortable on the bike. I ended up qualifying provisionally in 5th place. After making my way back to the dirt track for opening ceremonies, I was nervous to begin racing, I was on the front row in my heat race, but got a good start and battled with a few guys finishing 4th coming out with a direct transfer to the main event. After my heat race my confidence was starting to build. I had a second row start and got a good jump on the pack. I came out of turn two in a tight battle for 4th place. As laps went by I found myself struggling to get good traction and began slipping back in the pack. After a red flag restart, and what seemed like a very long race I managed 13th place overall. I wasn’t very happy with how I finished, but was confident that I could come back tomorrow and get a better result.

3/11:
Today was a new day, it was sunny out and I was ready and excited to ride! The second session of qualifying on the XR1200 went well. I was focusing on drafting and working with some of the other riders attempting to put in a faster lap time than In yesterdays session. Due to the cold temperatures, I was only able to go slightly quicker and found myself in the 6th overall spot on the grid. Running back over to the dirt track, I was ready to go and wound up qualifying 6th which was better than yesterday and put me in a good starting spot for the heat races. Opening ceremonies for the dirt track races weren’t until the evening so I had to head back over to the speedway and prepare myself for the XR1200 race. I got an alright start but snuck my way up through some guys in turn 1 and found myself 7th coming out of turn one. It was crazy how many riders were in the race it was very exciting and intense. As we approached the kink shaped turn, I got together with another rider and almost went down with him but was able to stay up and focus on the pack in front of me. Heading up onto the banking the first lap I was able to get around a couple guys using the draft and saw that I was in 5th place. I knew I had to get going to try and not lose the lead pack but after only a lap I couldn’t quite stay in their draft. The top four riders consisted of my brother Kyle, Steve Rapp, Chris Fillmore, and Joe Kopp. As the race wore on, I couldn’t keep up with the leaders anymore but found myself In a pretty good battle with a few other riders. I ended up at the head of my pack but still in a respectable 5th place. Back over to the dirt track race, finished 2nd place in my heat and was excited to be on the front row of the main event in only my second ever Pro-Singles race. I got a great start and was running 3rd place, slipped up and made a couple mistakes and came away with 6th place. Not bad but better than the previous day so I was happy.

After a crazy hectic weekend of running back and forth between race tracks, I have to owe all of my success to my team. I would like to thank Harv’s Harley-Davidson, AB1 Motorsports, Arai, Rev IT, my Mom and Dad, brothers Kyle and Cody, Robb Hilfiker, Steve Beattie, and Brian Newman for all their support this past weekend! Also, I would like to say congrats to my older brother Kyle for coming away with his very first AMA Pro Racing win in the XR1200 race.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Hmmmmmm, am I crazy or that a great post? Fantastic insight to the race Travis, thank you. It looks like you still had the highest trap speed for the XR's, a 141 mph in qualifying.

Are the teams going to run the same gearing at Infineon they ran at Daytona?

We are as interested in your ProSingles ride as we are in your XR1200 races!

Congrats on a weekend you, your brothers, and your folks will remember forever.

Ride Fast!

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
Thanks Travis for the great thread on how the racing went for you, sounds like quite a hectic pace doing double duty and all. Did you find the XR to be quite a handfull as Scott Russell did? Forum member Rob Ruggerio of Speed Demon Cycles said you just have to ride the XR with a light touch and let it do its bucking and shaking. We all look forward to your reports of the your racing season.
I'm pissed that the XR series isn't being broadcast, Magoo started a campaign to let Speed channel know that we are interested in seeing them, hopefully they will listen
Regards
Roy

·
Its good to have friends
2,308 Posts
Thanks Travis, that was very interesting to read your diary of the two days racing. I hope you can do this for every race weekend. It is very interesting to get your insight on these events. What do you run on the dirt track?........cheers from Canada

·
www.jp2code.net
20,701 Posts
Is this really Travis, or his press agent posting this?

I'd think a young guy like Travis would be posting in the "I like to text" fashion.

Instead of, "Who are you?" I'd expect to see "hu r u" or something along those lines.

·
Administrator
12,721 Posts
That is just a terrific post Travis! Thanks for sharing your Daytona race experience with us on this Forum. Man, you were a very busy man at Daytona! You and your brother are very welcome members of our Forum and your shared experiences allow us to more fully enjoy the racing and also allow us to have a better appreciation of your commitment to the sport.

Thanks again for posting up! geno

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
:clap::clap::clap:

See you at Sears Point (Infineon).

·
"I know a few Roads"
142 Posts
Travis, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion of the flat track they built. I've been a huge fan forever going back to the 70s when an Ossa 250 could be fun on the short tracks. As a fan that track look pathetic and not an improvement over the stadium. Were you at Pooler or Barberville as well? Thanks - gene

·
Travis Wyman #24
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmmmmm, am I crazy or that a great post? Fantastic insight to the race Travis, thank you. It looks like you still had the highest trap speed for the XR's, a 141 mph in qualifying.

Are the teams going to run the same gearing at Infineon they ran at Daytona?

We are as interested in your ProSingles ride as we are in your XR1200 races!

Congrats on a weekend you, your brothers, and your folks will remember forever.

Ride Fast!

I dont believe we are running the same gearing at Infineon. The track doesn't require the same top speeds that Daytona did. Thank You !

·
Travis Wyman #24
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Travis for the great thread on how the racing went for you, sounds like quite a hectic pace doing double duty and all. Did you find the XR to be quite a handfull as Scott Russell did? Forum member Rob Ruggerio of Speed Demon Cycles said you just have to ride the XR with a light touch and let it do its bucking and shaking. We all look forward to your reports of the your racing season.
I'm pissed that the XR series isn't being broadcast, Magoo started a campaign to let Speed channel know that we are interested in seeing them, hopefully they will listen
Regards
Roy
I spoke with Scott quite a bit over the weekend and he was really having a tough time getting his bike to handle properly. I believe that 85-90% of the bike "wobble" down the straight-aways has to do with body position, the rest being set up and suspension. I feel that last season, as well as the off season wind tunnel testing was very beneficial to my team and my bikes handling capabilities.

·
Travis Wyman #24
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Travis, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion of the flat track they built. I've been a huge fan forever going back to the 70s when an Ossa 250 could be fun on the short tracks. As a fan that track look pathetic and not an improvement over the stadium. Were you at Pooler or Barberville as well? Thanks - gene
This was the first time I had ridden at the new short track. I competed in the AMA Winter Amateur Nationals back in 2005, but this was at the stadium. This was also the first time I had raced professional Flat Track since 2007. I enjoyed the shape and size of the track, but was not overly excited about the actual surface and dirt (sand) haha. The surface breaks apart and ruts up. On day two however, we developed a very nice groove which was fun and good for the riders, but not appealing to the fans. But overall, I cant complain because I feel I did pretty well at the new short track and would be more than excited to return next year! I did not get the opportunity to ride at pooler or Barberville. I did some testing the weekend before at a track in Neeses, SC, but wasn't able to fly down until the night before the racing started due to my school schedule.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts