XR1200 Owners Group banner
161 - 166 of 166 Posts

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
It may not be a totally fair judgement on my part seeing as how my problem occurred on a tire with a more aggresive tread pattern on an adventure bike but I took it as a sign that the cheapest things cost less for a reason. Having said that, the cheapster in me still looks at the low cost option first then tries to justify the next step up.haha This particular Shinko had the plys separate forming a big lump just off of the middle of the tread. With a hundred miles of freeway to get home I slowed down and pushed on hoping it didn't come completely apart. It held air and stayed together as we vibrated our way home. This may not be apples to apples with current sport touring models and could just be an isolated incident but we all learn from our experiences and adjust our actions to, hopefully, avoid repeat performances of bad things.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Grey Synthetic rubber

· Let's Ride
679 Posts
It may not be a totally fair judgement on my part seeing as how my problem occurred on a tire with a more aggresive tread pattern on an adventure bike but I took it as a sign that the cheapest things cost less for a reason. Having said that, the cheapster in me still looks at the low cost option first then tries to justify the next step up.haha This particular Shinko had the plys separate forming a big lump just off of the middle of the tread. With a hundred miles of freeway to get home I slowed down and pushed on hoping it didn't come completely apart. It held air and stayed together as we vibrated our way home. This may not be apples to apples with current sport touring models and could just be an isolated incident but we all learn from our experiences and adjust our actions to, hopefully, avoid repeat performances of bad things. View attachment 253777

That's totally fair! If I had a tire do that, I would be very cautious about making another purchase with the type or brand.

· Registered
432 Posts
Reading this thread it’s interesting to see some look at the cost of tyres and go the cheap option, and don’t blink an eye on the thousands they spend on aftermarket bits for their bike, for me I don’t cheap out on tyres, brakes and chains / sprockets etc, having the best premium tyres you can afford is cheap insurance.

In my opinion the Pirelli Angel GT’s and Conti Road Attack 3’s are very good for general road riding. The same can be said about all the well known Premium brand Sport Touring tyres available for the 18 inch front.

Just my opinion, each to their own.

· Registered
2009 HD XR1200
85 Posts
I'll probably end up with the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. I'd like to go with the Roadsmart 4, but it only comes in 17". As ytman said, they're priced much better than other equivalent tires, and they're easy to find.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
161 - 166 of 166 Posts