XR1200 Owners Group banner
141 - 160 of 166 Posts

· Premium Member
78 Posts
Anybody have these on their XR?

CONTI ROAD ATTACK 2

http://www.compcyclecenter.com/prod...=brand&ez=Continental~q=bidaa293zz~r=~#768246

What you think?
I know this post is very old but I have run through two sets of these on my XRX. They stick great on the street riding hard. I put in 10 years amateur racing and I would have zero problems taking these out for a track day. They are great feeling tires that give you unbelievable confidence. They let you know about their limits without putting you on your head.

· Registered
2011 XR1200X
97 Posts
I had a set of shinko 777s on my FXR and loved them.
Are there non-GT angels? And if so, are they better or worse or whatever?
Or when people mention angels, is the GT implied?

· Registered
2011 XR1200X
97 Posts
I know this post is very old but I have run through two sets of these on my XRX. They stick great on the street riding hard. I put in 10 years amateur racing and I would have zero problems taking these out for a track day. They are great feeling tires that give you unbelievable confidence. They let you know about their limits without putting you on your head.
As long as they're better than the old continentals that used to be on harleys.
I HATED those.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I was recommended to go with Pirelli Angel GT. That is what I have.

· Let's Ride
679 Posts
If anyone's still watching this thread, does anyone have any experience/yay or nay for
  • pirelli angels (front and rear)
  • shinko verge radials (front and rear)
Please and thanks
I just got off a set of Shinko Verge and I had NO complaints. I got great mileage out of them and had no problem with grip. I was going to a new set of wheels and decided to go with Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ on the new wheels.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
My brother works for a company Western Powersports and can get me the Michelin Scorchers for a decent price and has them in stock. Seems like the way to go?
What Distribution Warehouse for WPS?

· Registered
2009 HD XR1200
85 Posts
My XR still has the stock Dunlop Qualifier D209 tires. It's somewhat resistant to initiating a turn, and I've noticed the "fall in" feeling some have mentioned. At first, I thought it must be the stupid dirt bike bars the previous owner put on, but then I examined the front tire and noticed it is severely cupped on each side, so it's a combination of all of the above. Contrary to what several earlier posts claimed, HD has not discontinued this tire. My local dealer has one in stock and I looked at it. They also have a Michelin Scorcher 11F in stock. However, both are ~$253 + tax, and they do not discount installation even when purchased from them. I think I can get as good or better, and more modern, tire elsewhere for less. I'd like to hear what alternative modern front tire others have used and how well they worked.

· Registered
44 Posts
Mine needs tires (neither my front or rear are originals but the newest is from 2012!) and I’m planning on the Conti road attack 3’s. I recently tried Contis on my WR250X and have been super happy with them.

Would love a 17” front to get a wider range of tire options but I don’t have the money for a wheel swap right now.

· Registered
2009 HD XR1200
85 Posts
My XR still has the stock Dunlop Qualifier D209 tires. It's somewhat resistant to initiating a turn, and I've noticed the "fall in" feeling some have mentioned. At first, I thought it must be the stupid dirt bike bars the previous owner put on, but then I examined the front tire and noticed it is severely cupped on each side, so it's a combination of all of the above. Contrary to what several earlier posts claimed, HD has not discontinued this tire. My local dealer has one in stock and I looked at it. They also have a Michelin Scorcher 11F in stock. However, both are ~$253 + tax, and they do not discount installation even when purchased from them. I think I can get as good or better, and more modern, tire elsewhere for less. I'd like to hear what alternative modern front tire others have used and how well they worked.

· Registered
2009 HD XR1200
85 Posts
Mine needs tires (neither my front or rear are originals but the newest is from 2012!) and I’m planning on the Conti road attack 3’s. I recently tried Contis on my WR250X and have been super happy with them.

Would love a 17” front to get a wider range of tire options but I don’t have the money for a wheel swap right now.
Yes, much to my chagrin, I'm discovering that most of the modern tires only come in 17", so my choices are limited to older designs. It's difficult to find reviews of the best choices in 18" tires. I welcome any advice. I just picked up my new stock grips from HD so my Thanksgiving weekend project is to change the hideous dirt bike bars for the original bars and grips.

SaveShare
Reply Quote

· Let's Ride
679 Posts
I put a set of Shinko Verge tires on after I bought my bike (it had the original Dunlops on it but were WAY too old to be riding on). I was very pleased with the way they handled and tire wear was great. Maybe this a less expensive route to go. Currently run Dunlop Q3+ and they handle great.

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
Dunlop Roadsmarts have been my choice for quite a few sets now. I think they're up to Roadsmart IV's now. I ran the II's til I couldn't find any more. Now I'm running the III's. When I can't find those any longer I'll bump up to the IV's. They're $100 dollars cheaper than the Pirellis and the Michelins and, in my experience, turn just as well and last a little longer. I had a bad experience with Shinko so I won't take that chance again, I'm going through a set of tires every few months currently. YMMV

141 - 160 of 166 Posts