XR1200 Owners Group banner
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

· Always on center and standing tall.
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Lol. You're welcome.

Big bikes riders are called "corks". If you don't squeeze to move out of the way of the smaller bikes, soon there's a bunch of them yelling and honking the horn like crazy, even bumping against your tire (it's rare, but it happens). And there's also the big bike riders that think "Well, everybody's doing it, so why won't I? "

When my relatives in Cali complain about lane splitting, I always say "wait 'till you came here to visit me again."
If I remember correctly one guy was on a sportster with ape-hangers and he was trying to squeeze through too.

One other day, I think on Saturday (May 31?), there must have been a Hog ride because when we drove past the HD Dealership there must have been 50 bikes starting from there. When we past them there wasn't any lane splitting going on but near two by two.

· Registered
201 Posts
Hi while I am still on the Dunlop ( replaced the rear 4 Km ago ) I ride in all road conditions and I got 8KM out of the Dunlop D209 rear and 12.5KM out of the front. My riding is a mix of hard and light straight and twisties. One thing that may help is that I check and reset tyre presurres weekly ( 40-42 rear cold and 36 front cold as per my manual ) . Doing this will help keep safe and handling as well as keep some life going with the tyres. While the Dunlops are expensive ( D209 is now being replaced by the Qualifier 11 ) - I wont use anything else.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
Hi while I am still on the Dunlop ( replaced the rear 4 Km ago ) I ride in all road conditions and I got 8KM out of the Dunlop D209 rear and 12.5KM out of the front. My riding is a mix of hard and light straight and twisties. One thing that may help is that I check and reset tyre presurres weekly ( 40-42 rear cold and 36 front cold as per my manual ) . Doing this will help keep safe and handling as well as keep some life going with the tyres. While the Dunlops are expensive ( D209 is now being replaced by the Qualifier 11 ) - I wont use anything else.
To me the rear Dunlop Qualifier felt squimy when really pushed hard in turns. The Roadsmart, also a Dunlop, doesn't squirm around at all. It just gives dead, solid grip. In my opinion the XR1200 is too heavy for a Qualifier in the rear.

· Premium Member
18,659 Posts
To me the rear Dunlop Qualifier felt squimy when really pushed hard in turns. The Roadsmart, also a Dunlop, doesn't squirm around at all. It just gives dead, solid grip. In my opinion the XR1200 is too heavy for a Qualifier in the rear.
i haven't noticed as much of that with the Q2 as I did with the stocker. It will be interesting to see how the new Metz Z8 Interact is.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
i haven't noticed as much of that with the Q2 as I did with the stocker. It will be interesting to see how the new Metz Z8 Interact is.
The Q2 is a dual compound, as is the Roadsmart. I've always wondered what the compounds were between the 2. I wonder if the harder center compound makes the tire stiffer and that's why they don't squirm.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
Ya know, I've got 2 of those Dunlop Q2 tires in my garage, both damn near brand new. Instead of getting that new set of tires, I may just slap one of those on there and see how that does me for a while.
Why would you not Joe?

· Always on center and standing tall.
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I left the original Dunlop on and I am using the Michelin PR2 on the back. There does not appear to be any handling problems. One thing I did notice is a wear mark (as if into a underlying compound) in the center of the tire as if it is over inflated.

· Registered
38 Posts
OH BOY! A TIRE THREAD!

Michelin Pilot Road 2 on my front and rear with 6000+ miles on front & rear, and no signs of danger. I love these PR2s!
Michalin Pilot Road 2s are exactly what I'll be putting on mine as soon as I get it back.

· Kinder gentler machine gun world
4,489 Posts
I have Pirelli Angels on mine....Fronts last twice as long as the rears.....Back tire/tyre has about 1500 miles on it and it is getting close to needing replacement....Former rear Pirelli lasted alittle over 2000 miles for me....Looks like I'll be getting close to the same from the second one.....May try something else this time around.

· Registered
2011 XR1200X
97 Posts
If anyone's still watching this thread, does anyone have any experience/yay or nay for
  • pirelli angels (front and rear)
  • shinko verge radials (front and rear)
Please and thanks

121 - 140 of 166 Posts