XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

· Always on center and standing tall.
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings my friends - Anyone have experience with tires other than the Dunlop D209 on this bike. I only have 3k miles and the rear needs changing due to center wear. HD Dealer wants $286 plus $117 install, plus weights. Some of the other equivalents are half as much and I have a local guy that does tires.

My concern is the balance of wear and traction. I am not really, at least I thought, not an aggressive rider and I dont want to fall and I know the longer the tire is designed to last the less traction you have on the road, when wet, etc.

Any help would be appreciated and certainly let me know which tire/brand to stay away from or which tire is better than the D209 and cheaper.

OR, should I stick with the Dunlop?

· El Jabalí
302 Posts
Greetings my friends - Anyone have experience with tires other than the Dunlop D209 on this bike.

Hello Dorsalfin,

I highly recommend Dunlop roadsmarts. I am on my second rear RS now, the first one lasted about 10,000 kms. They hold really well in the dry and the wet, even on decent lean angles. There are many threads on here about this subject. There are other tires that are highly recommended by other members. You won´t go wrong with any of those.

Saludos

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Dorsalfin,

I highly recommend Dunlop roadsmarts. I am on my second rear RS now, the first one lasted about 10,000 kms. They hold really well in the dry and the wet, even on decent lean angles. There are many threads on here about this subject. There are other tires that are highly recommended by other members. You won´t go wrong with any of those.

Saludos
abelfonseca- Thanks for the quick reply. I was just looking at those. $163 for the rear and $131 for the front and free shipping. I guess if I go with the rear roadsmart I will need to change the front out to keep them matched. Any thoughts on this?

As far as the thread search, my search seemed to pull up a bunch of miscellaneous posts and I was quite surprised since I figured this topic would be covered. I guess there aren't any taggers-extraordinary, lol. But I will have to add the breath was knocked out of me and I was feeling a little light headed when I did my search after the stealership quote- oich!

· Administrator
8,749 Posts
Dorsalfin, I say +1 on the Roadsmarts, I got 4000 out of my stock rear dunlop and made the switch to a rear Roadsmart, I didn't change the front because I still had some life left in it. I really didn't notice any decrease in performance and after 1000 miles I can't see any wear at all on the rear.I wouldn't be concerned about matching the front.Although I don't know about different brands (like a dunlop rear and michelin front).I bought the tire for 147.50 from Jake wilson and included free shipping to my local mortorcycle mechanic(of course I checked with him first) and he charged me $40.00 to install it.
Good luck with you choice
Regards
Roy

· My bike talks to me when I ride. It says Feck Off
1,462 Posts
abelfonseca- Thanks for the quick reply. I was just looking at those. $163 for the rear and $131 for the front and free shipping. I guess if I go with the rear roadsmart I will need to change the front out to keep them matched. Any thoughts on this?
Don't bother changing the front, it will work fine with a Roadsmart on the rear until the front needs changing (in less than another 2K probably) and forget the stock tyres from the stealer - very expensive and they wear-out faster than something that wears-out very fast!!

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all- Thanks for the help. I am very greatful.... You just don't know how comforting it is when you are ready to pass out but the rest of the team is fending off the enemy (the retail monster) from the trenches right beside you; thanks so much.

I called my tire guy earlier and just spoke with him. My tire guy says the Dunlop Rep. says the stock D209 is no longer available and was replaced by the Roadsmart Sport Touring. I guess the dealer that quoted me $286 for the stock tire was selling me a leftover because he made no mention of the Roadsmart. Now that's smart: Roadsmart.

· What do you mean, Harley's vibrate and connectors
2,175 Posts
Have PR2's on now, have ordered my PR3's,have 9k front and rear, put them on just before the Dragon meet up last year. And changing them now so they'll be scuffed up enough to stay with Magoo at the Dragon meetup this year. BTW, Dorsalfin, are you coming to the Dragon meetup in May? Stay a week, a day or the weekend, info is here; http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/group.php?groupid=13

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here is the million dollar (or $9) question. There seems to be about $9 difference in Smart v Smart2

Should I go with:

1. The Roadsmart?

2. The Roadsmart 2?

3. The Sportmax Roadsmart?

4. The Michelin PR2 same price if 2 tires purchased? + $10 rear only

"Frank- I'm getting a sick headache" - Grandma Stevens (Bewitched). Lol

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have PR2's on now, have ordered my PR3's,have 9k front and rear, put them on just before the Dragon meet up last year. And changing them now so they'll be scuffed up enough to stay with Magoo at the Dragon meetup this year. BTW, Dorsalfin, are you coming to the Dragon meetup in May? Stay a week, a day or the weekend, info is here; http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/site/group.php?groupid=13
About the Dragon- I hate to delay this but I'll know better about my time in April or mid-April.

· www.jp2code.net
20,723 Posts
Roadsmart 2 is supposed to be much better than the Roadsmart, but they are new so little feedback.

PR3 offer better water riding than older PR2 version, but that seems to be it.

So, I'd say it boils down to whether you want the Michelin man (PR2) or a Dunlop tire (Roadsmart 2).

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Everyone. Thank you for the help in my desperate time of need. I was hoping to do just the Roadsmart rear and then the front later. Personally, I feel one should stay as close to stock as one can, unless the design is a failure and, I was hesitant to move away from Dunlop for that reason. I just ordered the Mich Pilot Road 2 (lol, PR2 I assume, lol..Please tell me now if it is incorrect so I can correct the order). I decided not to keep the front because of minor cracking in the groove wall (original tire) and I know that I would worry on every turn that the tire would separate, so it is cheap insurance for me to just do the two. The plus side is the grip seems to be the same or better than the Roadsmart and the mileage is increased.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
... I was just looking at those. $163 for the rear and $131 for the front and free shipping. I guess if I go with the rear roadsmart I will need to change the front out to keep them matched. Any thoughts on this?
As others have said, the stock front works great with the Roadsmart rear.

Dorsalfin, I say +1 on the Roadsmarts, I got 4000 out of my stock rear dunlop and made the switch to a rear Roadsmart, I didn't change the front because I still had some life left in it. I really didn't notice any decrease in performance and after 1000 miles I can't see any wear at all on the rear.I wouldn't be concerned about matching the front.Although I don't know about different brands (like a dunlop rear and michelin front).I bought the tire for 147.50 from Jake wilson and included free shipping to my local mortorcycle mechanic(of course I checked with him first) and he charged me $40.00 to install it.Good luck with you choiceRegardsRoy
+1

Don't bother changing the front, it will work fine with a Roadsmart on the rear until the front needs changing (in less than another 2K probably) and forget the stock tyres from the stealer - very expensive and they wear-out faster than something that wears-out very fast!!
+1

I called my tire guy earlier and just spoke with him. My tire guy says the Dunlop Rep. says the stock D209 is no longer available and was replaced by the Roadsmart Sport Touring. I guess the dealer that quoted me $286 for the stock tire was selling me a leftover because he made no mention of the Roadsmart. Now that's smart: Roadsmart.
Most dealers are not smart enough to know about the Roadsmarts

So here is the million dollar (or $9) question. There seems to be about $9 difference in Smart v Smart2
Should I go with:
1. The Roadsmart?
2. The Roadsmart 2?
3. The Sportmax Roadsmart?
4. The Michelin PR2 same price if 2 tires purchased? + $10 rear only
"Frank- I'm getting a sick headache" - Grandma Stevens (Bewitched). Lol
In case you don't know, you can never get answer on what the best tire is on a forum (even though it is the Roadsmart). Everyone has their own valid opinions, and good tires are so good these days it is hard to go wrong.

And even though you have already ordered your tires, I've had great success with the Roadsmart in the rear, stock front. If the Roadsmart 2 is available when I need a tire next, I will go with that. Probably try a RS or RS2 in the front too.

· Registered
5,189 Posts
Hey Fin. You won't lose ANY traction on wet or dry roads with the PR 2 . Matter of fact, traction is better, even though they last longer. Road Smart is probably the same to, but have not tried them. I do have the PR 2's.

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As others have said, the stock front works great with the Roadsmart rear.

Most dealers are not smart enough to know about the Roadsmarts

In case you don't know, you can never get answer on what the best tire is on a forum (even though it is the Roadsmart). Everyone has their own valid opinions, and good tires are so good these days it is hard to go wrong.

And even though you have already ordered your tires, I've had great success with the Roadsmart in the rear, stock front. If the Roadsmart 2 is available when I need a tire next, I will go with that. Probably try a RS or RS2 in the front too.
I like Dunlop and I think Dunlop makes a great tire. Although I have not had a great success with mileage, apart from my VTX that I ride gently; I have doubled my previous mileage on OEM tires. I know many friends have boasted about higher mileage tires but then they say don't hit a painted line (especially wet) or even some shaded areas. I had gotten the Dunlops 3X's o the VTX because poor mileage usually means better grip (and no fall-ee). I wanted the opinions of those with the XR1200; not 650's, BMW's; etc.; etc. Because one bike might handle well with a tire brand but that tire may not handle well on a different bike (my bike).

The ONLY reason I decided to jump ship with the Dunlops is I think I needed the front (cracking in tread groove) and the ratings for the Michelin's were better and at prema fashia, the PR2's seem to grip the same or better than the Dunlops but everyone is reporting higher mileage.
I may try the roadsmart on my vtx next, unless I fall in love with the PR2's/3's

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
I like Dunlop and I think Dunlop makes a great tire. Although I have not had a great success with mileage, apart from my VTX that I ride gently; I have doubled my previous mileage on OEM tires. I know many friends have boasted about higher mileage tires but then they say don't hit a painted line (especially wet) or even some shaded areas. I had gotten the Dunlops 3X's o the VTX because poor mileage usually means better grip (and no fall-ee). I wanted the opinions of those with the XR1200; not 650's, BMW's; etc.; etc. Because one bike might handle well with a tire brand but that tire may not handle well on a different bike (my bike).

The ONLY reason I decided to jump ship with the Dunlops is I think I needed the front (cracking in tread groove) and the ratings for the Michelin's were better and at prema fashia, the PR2's seem to grip the same or better than the Dunlops but everyone is reporting higher mileage.
I may try the roadsmart on my vtx next, unless I fall in love with the PR2's/3's
Try the Roadsmart 2 if they have it. We haven't heard any real-world results yet, but I have to think they'd be even better than the original Roadsmarts. And yes, the Dunlop Qualifiers that came stock on our bikes sucked for mileage. And I don't even think the performance was that great because they felt like they were squirming around on hard corners to me.

443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was told by M/C Superstore that they send back to the manufacture any tire over 6 mos old. I was told by Jake Wilson that their tires will not be over two years old; of course, if the age is unacceptable they will pay the shipping for an exchange.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
So the stock Dunlop D209's are Qualifiers?
Yes. The original tires on the 2009 -2011 bikes were Dunlop Qualifiers. Dunlop doesn't make the original Qualifier anymore, replacing it with the Sportmax 2.

The tires on the 2012's are Michelin Scorchers.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts