XR1200 Owners Group banner
161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Forty Years Ago 1981 Laguna Seca. This was the First time Suzuki had finished One-Two in a F1 National.

Here are some behind the scene pics from that Weekend.

Start of first leg from right to left Spencer #19, Mamola #7, Roberts #2, Aldana #40, Cooley #34

Here is Honda 500cc four stroke Oval Pistons V4 (V8) GP Bike that Freddie Spencer rode to it first and only Victory in the 5 lap heat race.. His heat race Victory was 11 seconds faster than the second heat race winner.
Unfortunately it ha mechanical problems in both legs.
We were in Technical Inspection with Wes bike, when they pulled up beside me. I had my pocket camera took some
pictures. Normally in Europe they would have the bike covered up.

Kenny Roberts had tire problems in first leg and clutch problems in second leg.

Start of 2nd leg . Mamola , Cooley, Aldana. Both Spencer and Roberts started in the last row because first leg DNF.

Wes score 2-2 for 2nd place.

Walking to Victory lane .

Wes Mom and Fujio Yoshimura in Victory Lane

Mamola First, Cooley Second and Rich Schlachter Third.

After the Race . The AMA impounds the Top Five Finishers. The 1st 2nd and third place finisher must remove the cylinder head on their engine to measure bore and stroke tp meet the engine capacity limit.. If engine is oversize they are disqualified.
Then 4th place finisher is torn down. Alot of people were hoping the Honda would make the podium so we could see what the engine would look like with the head off.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks HH , some good times , fond memories .

That Honda engine was intriguing , a whole lot of effort , for not much lasting result .
Kind of a - Why ? Because we can attitude .

OTOH Honda has always been known for engine innovation .
Keep doing the same things you been doing and get the same result is not their way .
And that's a good thing !

George

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Those were the days!!!

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
Forty Years Ago 1981 Laguna Seca. This was the First time Suzuki had finished One-Two in a F1 National.

View attachment 247649

View attachment 247650

Start of first leg from right to left Spencer #19, Mamola #7, Roberts #2, Aldana #40, Cooley #34

View attachment 247651

Here is Honda 500cc four stroke Oval Pistons V4 (V8) GP Bike that Freddie Spencer rode to it first and only Victory in the 5 lap heat race.. His heat race Victory was 11 seconds faster than the second heat race winner.
We were in Technical Inspection with Wes bike, when they pulled up beside me. I had my pocket camera took some

View attachment 247652

View attachment 247653

Start of 2nd leg . Mamola , Cooley, Aldana. Both Spencer and Roberts started in the last row because first leg DNF.

View attachment 247654

View attachment 247655

View attachment 247656

View attachment 247657

View attachment 247658
After the Race . The AMA impounds the Top Five Finishers. The 1st 2nd and third place finisher must remove the cylinder head on their engine to measure bore and stroke tp meet the engine capacity limit.. If engine is oversize they are disqualified.
Then 4th place finisher is torn down. Alot of people were hoping the Honda would make the podium so we could see what the engine would look like with the head off.

View attachment 247649

View attachment 247650

View attachment 247651

View attachment 247652

View attachment 247653

View attachment 247654

View attachment 247655

View attachment 247656

View attachment 247657

View attachment 247658
Brilliant stuff Jim!
Those were the days when men were men, women were glad of it, and racing bikes looked like racing bikes.......aaaah, memories....
Kinda reminds me of going the the Easter motorcycle races at Bathurst in 1980 and '81. One memorable moment was seeing a guy called Gary Thomas on the new Kawasaki Z1300 six cylinder dueling with smaller capacity bikes literally half his weight and capacity (or less) around the track. He'd blast pass them on Conrod straight and they'd nail him again and again on the entrance to corners like the Cutting, lap after lap.
Can all that really have been 40 years ago? Surely not...

J.

·
Registered
365 Posts
hh

Thanks for the post .

Steady Eddie was one of my FAVs in the day , and I saw him race many times .
Was very cool to see him compete in the 250 class as well .

With Wayne Rainey , Fast Freddie , and others such as Wes Cooley it was a fantastic time for
American roadracing at home and on the international scene .

Wow , he's looking damn good for 63 !

George

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
Thanks for posting, Jim. Superb interview with Eddie Lawson. Imagine just bashing round on the trails near EL's home town and coming across him & the great KR doing the same thing...

J.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dale Quarterly of Brockton Mass. Carrying the Kawasaki Flag as a Privateer in 1984 750 SuperBike Class.
1983 Suzuki Pulled out of AMA Racing . !984 Kawasaki pulled out of the AMA Racing.
after Wayne Rainey won the SuperBike Championship.in 1983 .

1984 Dale Quarterly crashed his Kawasaki 750 in the SuperBike race at Laguna Seca
Here is the infamous finger story in his own words.

Here is a follow up to the Story.

I was at the the 1984 SuperBike race at Sears Point one month after the Laguna Seca,
I had left Yoshimura at the end of 1983. The Team invited me to go to Sears Point with them.
Wes Cooley won the SuperBike race on Yoshimura Suzuki 750.
Later that evening at the Victory Dinner , Dale Quarterly brother stops by (cant remember his name) .

He is telling us about being at the Hospital with Dale. The finger was in a clear container of saline solution.
They were taking pictures for the AMA. The AMA paid out for death and dismemberment of their members.
He said he was talking to their mother on the phone back in Mass . Their mother followed their exploits by reading Cycle News. She complained about how the news paper was two weeks behind,
She ask for them to send her pictures. That was one of the pictures she got.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
2,058 Posts
Loses a little finger one day, goes out and races the next. There's a hard man!

Nothing like bike racing war stories. Hope he's not a guitar player, that's all I can say.

Now maybe if he'd had a steering damper on that bike...(!)

J.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Dave Aldana interview.

Talks about how he got started racing Flat Track, why he became an Gun for Hire
and how he never let the Facts get in the way of a good story about his Infamous Skeleton Leathers.

Hand Arm White Gesture Military uniform

161 - 180 of 181 Posts