XR1200 Owners Group banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Now THAT'S what I call diversity and inclusion (if not equality & tolerance!)

Great days, Jim.

Does the chequered flag on Du Hamel's bike mean his Mach IV beat the Z1 of Hurley as well as Reg Pridmore's R90S?

J.
Yes the Kawasaki Mach IV was 1st, BMW 2nd and Z1 third place. The first and last Heavyweight Production Race to be won on a 2 Stroke.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,826 Posts
I never got to see Mark Brelsford race on a Dirt track. I was at Laguna Seca in 1974, I dont think his Harley finished the race.
Notice he's controlling the slide without putting his inside leg down. Skilled, eh?

And just regarding Du Hamel, pretty sure his son Miguel went racing also. Not sure re his success rate though. In any event, besting an R90S and a Z1 on a Mach IV is pretty ballsy stuff. For some years people in Aus have been restoring Mach IV's. I have an aquaintance in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (one of the largest and best patronised MC's in Australia) who has done just that. You can still get many of the bits, thanks to the internet. Well restored examples can be as fast and better handling and braking than the originals with some thoughtful preparation, eg. modern rotors and pads, modern solid state ignition and a bit of subtle chassis bracing and suspension development.

J.

·
Registered
714 Posts
1975 San Jose Mile Races. Jump to 16.5 minute mark watch a young 15 year old Kenny Roberts at one of his first race.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Notice he's controlling the slide without putting his inside leg down. Skilled, eh?

And just regarding Du Hamel, pretty sure his son Miguel went racing also. Not sure re his success rate though. In any event, besting an R90S and a Z1 on a Mach IV is pretty ballsy stuff. For some years people in Aus have been restoring Mach IV's. I have an aquaintance in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (one of the largest and best patronised MC's in Australia) who has done just that. You can still get many of the bits, thanks to the internet. Well restored examples can be as fast and better handling and braking than the originals with some thoughtful preparation, eg. modern rotors and pads, modern solid state ignition and a bit of subtle chassis bracing and suspension development.

J.
Miguel did indeed race. When I was in high school I had a new next door neighbour move in. He had a garage full of bike parts, so I naturally gravitated over there for a visit. Very interesting guy; in his younger years he used to race against Yvon in the early days of his career. Said he never saw much of DuHamel once the start flag dropped lol. Had great stories of he and his buddies hauling their race bikes around Quebec and Ontario behind an old truck, which drank oil like nobody's business. They would save all their used oil from the bikes and stop every hour or so to refill the sump on the truck with the old bike oil. Eventually they welded the head onto the block of the truck, which apparently helped a bit. Like I say, he had a lot of interesting stories that he enjoyed regaling the dumbstruck teenager from next door with, but his stories of lining up with Yvon DuHamel, who was a legend in Canada, were the ones that stuck with me.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
Great video Jim! Thanks for sharing. I liked those old Yamaha Enduros racing in that last segment. I owned several.

in the
1975 San Jose Mile Races. Jump to 16.5 minute mark watch a young 15 year old Kenny Roberts at one of his first race.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey Dwight, I see the Bobcat fire is near Pearblossom Highway, hope you and your family are doing alright.

·
used ta could
1,830 Posts
Thanks for the good juju. It’s been moving slowly towards us so my wife had time to move all the horses and we had time to pack the super important stuff into a vehicle and get the rolling stock off to a buddies house(including the XR). Now we just wait and see. We have crates for all the little ones. Dogs, cats, ducks, birds,......ready to evac. Yesterday the DC10s were doing Phos-tec drops along the ridge line and the dozers were cutting a line also. It’s still active on the other side of the hill in the pic so we’re not out of it yet.
4721976B-AA65-4E2A-B7A3-34B36B4FB581.jpeg C857C22A-7F3F-472B-8C02-20BF327D00FC.jpeg

121 - 140 of 168 Posts