XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have oil leaking from their throttle body/air box? What's the fix? Any advice appreciated. Guess the bike's going back to the shop.... and I'm sure it'll be at least a week if any parts are required :mad:.

BTW, I have about 3k miles, bone stock, usually have the oil at 1/2 on the dipstick - never been above 2/3rds. The "Y" oil cooler line is clean and dry.

G

·
Anyone have oil leaking from their throttle body/air box? What's the fix? Any advice appreciated. Guess the bike's going back to the shop.... and I'm sure it'll be at least a week if any parts are required :mad:.

BTW, I have about 3k miles, bone stock, usually have the oil at 1/2 on the dipstick - never been above 2/3rds. The "Y" oil cooler line is clean and dry.

I am assuming you are seeing oil where the throttle body and air box boot meet. If that is the case it is coming from the way the head vents are routed into your air box. I did a write up on rerouteing said breathers about a month ago. If this is the case let me know if I can be of assistance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am assuming you are seeing oil where the throttle body and air box boot meet. If that is the case it is coming from the way the head vents are routed into your air box. I did a write up on rerouteing said breathers about a month ago. If this is the case let me know if I can be of assistance.
Yes, that sounds like it is the case. Do you have a link to your write-up?

What gets me is that if this a design issue:
1) Wouldn't there be a lot more instances of this with other owners? After searching, I've only seen a couple of posts about the breather lines sending oil to the air box.
2) Nearly 3k miles with no sign of oil and all of sudden, it's leaking like crazy... seems like somethings changed/broken.
3) Worried that such a modification, if I have to do it, might affect warranty.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, checking hot. I like to wait till she stops pinging, which takes about 3min. after shutting down, and to allow any air bubbles to come out. Also always check from the same spot where I park in the garage, and I pretty much always ride at least 50 miles if I start her at all.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
I agree that is it probably the head breathers, although it shouldn't be as bad as yours appears to be. You may lose a little oil through the breathers but that would normally (if the breather hoses are correctly installed) just go straight into the throttle body and get burned.

Open up your airbox and check that the hoses are still attached as they should be. While there it will give you the chance to see if the oil is coming from somewhere else such as a blown rocker cover gasket.

Re-routing breather hoses used to be a no brainer on H-D motors, but improvements in crankcase breather valves in recent years has made this less necessary and you really shouldn't get much from the breathers at all now.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no power gain to be had by re-routing breathers any longer (although there used to be in the old days).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that is it probably the head breathers, although it shouldn't be as bad as yours appears to be. You may lose a little oil through the breathers but that would normally (if the breather hoses are correctly installed) just go straight into the throttle body and get burned.

Open up your airbox and check that the hoses are still attached as they should be.
Thanks A-M.

Got it back from the shop today and it sounds like it was a combination of an incorrectly positioned breather hose, combined with a compromise in the rubber boot connection between the air box and throttle body. The boot wasn't seated correctly and the breather hose was depositing oil right at the crack.

Guess I probably could have figured this one out myself, since I have the service manual, but I might as well take advantage of the warranty, while I have it. Hopefully, that'll be the end of this problem.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

G

·
How long at the dealership did it take to fix your airbox/tb leak? My dealer is 25-30 miles away, so I'd have to drive it out there and wait..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took my dealer a day or two, but that has to due more with their service schedule, than the job's difficulty. Involves removing the tank, and maybe the airbox - probably not much more than an hour or two if you can get dedicated time.

Biggest problem will be if you need any parts as anything around the airbox/throttle body is pretty specific to the XR... then it usually takes a week. :censored:

G

·
Took my dealer a day or two, but that has to due more with their service schedule, than the job's difficulty. Involves removing the tank, and maybe the airbox - probably not much more than an hour or two if you can get dedicated time.

Biggest problem will be if you need any parts as anything around the airbox/throttle body is pretty specific to the XR... then it usually takes a week. :censored:
Well, I've got an appt scheduled for 9am this saturday, I have to drive the bike in..So if it takes longer than a day, don't know how I'll get home live in another city, LOL.. maybe I can camp out, lol

·
Premium Member
18,659 Posts
Well, I've got an appt scheduled for 9am this saturday, I have to drive the bike in..So if it takes longer than a day, don't know how I'll get home live in another city, LOL.. maybe I can camp out, lol
You can always sleep on the seat on an Electra Glide Ultra in the showroom :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.