XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worked my way through lots of bikes after the XR, all getting lighter and lighter. Was getting to the point where I was beginning to think that maybe I should just quit. I had a Spyder and a Honda CB500. I traded them both on a 2022 Spyder. It is comfortable, easy to ride two up, with more luggage space than I can ever use. I like it, and my wife really enjoyed getting out for Sunday jaunts again.
So, what’s the problem?
Not having a bike seemed unnatural. It left a void in my life. I wrestled with this all summer.
Finally, towards the end of October, I was yakking with the owner of a local bike shop, and asked him about a low mileage 2018 Yamaha R3 looking rather lonely in the corner of the showroom. A consignment sale I was told. Asking too much earlier and now reduced. Facing storage charges.
So one lowball offer later, I am the proud owner of a nice little 375 lbs two wheeler again.
I can now rejoin the small group of “mature “ riders that I hang out with.
My life is back in balance.
Don’t you all love a happy ending………..:)
Harry

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a little XR related PS to my story…I don’t usually “colour-coordinate “ my jacket and bike…that seems a bit much, but for some reason I did that day…that was the jacket I was wearing on an East Coast Meet some years ago…the right sleeve is shredded because I low sided (not on the Dragon, but nearby)…I never fixed the sleeve, because it serves as a permanent reminder to pay attention……
Jarhead told me later that heavy trucks travel those roads in the early hours, and scuff up gravel from the shoulder…I didn’t see it and one moment I’m up, the next I’m sliding…I probably have 10 jackets and every time I wear that one I think “Focus, focus…..”.
Jarhead called me “Pebble Beach” after that……………..🤣

Reactions: Seamus

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
“colour-coordinate “ is also something that I don't do, I wouldn't be able to follow in buying jackets and helmets and some colors really wouldn't fit for jacket lol View attachment 253795
Looks like you could go a long way with that setup

· Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,688 Posts
Worked my way through lots of bikes after the XR, all getting lighter and lighter. Was getting to the point where I was beginning to think that maybe I should just quit. I had a Spyder and a Honda CB500. I traded them both on a 2022 Spyder. It is comfortable, easy to ride two up, with more luggage space than I can ever use. I like it, and my wife really enjoyed getting out for Sunday jaunts again.
So, what’s the problem?
Not having a bike seemed unnatural. It left a void in my life. I wrestled with this all summer.
Finally, towards the end of October, I was yakking with the owner of a local bike shop, and asked him about a low mileage 2018 Yamaha R3 looking rather lonely in the corner of the showroom. A consignment sale I was told. Asking too much earlier and now reduced. Facing storage charges.
So one lowball offer later, I am the proud owner of a nice little 375 lbs two wheeler again.
I can now rejoin the small group of “mature “ riders that I hang out with.
My life is back in balance.
Don’t you all love a happy ending………..:)
Harry

View attachment 253792
Outstanding, Harry! The legend endures! And with the R3 you're nowhere near the threshold of the infamous 2:1 hp to riders age ratio, also. Let us know how longer term ownership goes, eh?
Best wishes, mate.

J.

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outstanding, Harry! The legend endures! And with the R3 you're nowhere near the threshold of the infamous 2:1 hp to riders age ratio, also. Let us know how longer term ownership goes, eh?
Best wishes, mate.

J.
Best wishes right back, John…about 5 years ago, I actually exceeded that ratio…I was 78 and had a KTM SuperDuke which had over 170 HP…I know a few people who do track days with R3s, although you’d have to wring it’s little neck…it’s odd, I spent a week visiting friends in the Dominican Republic, and gained a whole new appreciation for small displacement bikes…the way I trade bikes, I doubt you’ll get any long term reviews………..:cool:
Harry

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looking great Harry! Seems like a pretty great bike for you, hopefully I'll see it in person in May...
I know you’re kind enough to put me down as a “maybe” every year, but I’ve usually got too much on my plate after getting back from Florida in late April. I’ll probably focus on flat track racing this summer, (Lima, Weedsport, Laconia, might even run up to Volusia in March).
Something I might look into instead of trailering, is renting a bike for a few days. It seems there are more and more places getting into that. Just doubt I could put it all together for May.
harry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts