XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow riders-

Hope you are all doing well. So I'm thinking of getting an XR1200. More specifically a XR1200X. For reference my past bikes have included the followng: Start Stryker, Harley VRSCR, Guzzi Griso, Victory Vegas and my current bike Ducati Hypermotard 796 ( Which I am keeping).

So lookng at bike number- well sell my Victory Vegas. I wanted something a little lighter and sportier. The only other bike I am cross shopping is the victory judge ( I know two different bikes)

So what do I need to know about XR ownership?

Specific Questions:
1) How reliable is it? Who has the most miles on theirs?
2) How does it perform on the interstate for longer trips?
3) Best part of ownership?
4) Worst part of ownership?

·
Getting older but none the wiser
1,095 Posts
Looking at those questions this is going to be a long thread I think.

my answers
1 no worse than anything else, maintenance is the key
2 anythings possible, just ride within its limits
3 this place and being a bit quirky
4 having to keep coming on here for tips

:clap:

·
UK XR1200X owner
411 Posts
Just on a long run 2000 miles around Europe.
Great on interstate riding if you have a comfortable seat or ass of steel. Easily cruises at eighty for miles on end.
I would agree maintenance is the key.
Best bit of owning an XR1200x is they are not seen often. I am at EU Harley Festival and out of the thousands of other Harley s here I have only seen one other XR

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,331 Posts
Hey fellow riders-

Hope you are all doing well. So I'm thinking of getting an XR1200. More specifically a XR1200X...
Good choice, the X model has the upgraded suspension and brakes.

... I wanted something a little lighter and sportier...

So what do I need to know about XR ownership?

Specific Questions:
1) How reliable is it? Who has the most miles on theirs
We have a few members with more than 40,000 miles, maybe 1 or 2 with more than 60,000. As far as reliability goes, it's a machine, as long as your up to doing the regular maintenance,you shouldn't have many problems
2) How does it perform on the interstate for longer trips?
The gas tank will have you looking for gas around 130 miles, depending on your speed, definitely consider doing the "Scotty Mod" which will give you a little better gearing for extended highway use, and should extend the fuel range as well.
3) Best part of ownership?It's a fun little bike, I'd call it a Harley's Hot Rod, others call it a starter kit because you can outfit it with a tank and tail bag, add some side bags and take a trip. Or you can jack up the rear, change the exhaust and go racing, V&H makes a complete race kit you can buy for around 3,000 bucks.
Something else, that falls under this heading, would be the tremendous amount of information you have just for being a member of this XROG family, there is very little that we haven't heard about, and there is always someone here that can help you out.

4) Worst part of ownership?
I haven't really come across anything that I would consider bad about the bike, I knew what it was before I bought it.
it's never going to compete with the hyper sport bikes, however, a good rider on a XR can show a mediocre rider on another bike the back of his tire.
Another thing that could be considered here is that whenever you stop for gas, or pull into a restaurant where there are other bikes, you have to be prepared to answer all kinds of questions about the bike, while your food is getting cold. Definitely take one for a test ride, they are not for everyone. Also, they aren't making anymore of them, there are some very nice low mile examples out there...but for how much longer will they be available ?

·
Don't touch me there!
1,761 Posts
Well, it's light for a harley, but its not a light bike, ride one before you buy it. That said, I haven't regretted buying mine even once.

1. No problems here but you should see the archives, problems will show up disproportionately at a board like this and there haven't been too many
2. As said above, the gas tank will be your limitation on longer trips. Rides good though, especially with a wind screen.
3. Exactly what Rob_Wakey_uk said, plus the bike is a lot of fun
4. Nothing terrible, maybe clueless Harley parts guys?

Good luck making up your mind, if you get one I hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy mine :clap:!

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Your #2 criteria is Interstate.....that's not an XR strong point....it does it, and many of us have done long rides, but if distance cruising is the second most important thing to you in the bike, the XR should prolly go a little further down your list..... :(

But you should buy one anyway 'cause you'd dig it the most.... :yinyang: ..... :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your #2 criteria is Interstate.....that's not an XR strong point....it does it, and many of us have done long rides, but if distance cruising is the second most important thing to you in the bike, the XR should prolly go a little further down your list..... :(

But you should buy one anyway 'cause you'd dig it the most.... :yinyang: ..... :)

Wow, what a wealth of information- Thanks guys! I have yet to ride one- thus all my questions. That said, I know what the bike is. I'm not looking for a super light track bike or a naked canyon carver- I already have a hypermotard for both of those needs. I want a bike that has soul and character- something vintage looking, that is reliable and can still put a smile on my face. I wont be doing any hardcore cross country touring. But, 300-400 mile days once in a while will be required.

At this point two very different bikes Victory Judge and the XR are left standing. A lengthy test ride will point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
At this point two very different bikes Victory Judge and the XR are left standing. A lengthy test ride will point me in the right direction.
I have a feeling that a lengthy test ride will confirm what you already know. Two very different bikes. Lots of owners on here also have "cruiser" style bikes like the Judge, even if you label it a "power cruiser". I think the only solution is to buy both.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
.......... I think the only solution is to buy both........l

The sorta' advice you'd expect from a man who can't decide if he wants to live in Canada or Florida :nana: :nana: :)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The sorta' advice you'd expect from a man who can't decide if he wants to live in Canada or Florida :nana: :nana: :)
Tom, there are no shortages of places I'd like to spend my remaining days in. After your comment about Portugal on another thread, I went off on a walk down memory lane. All I need now are some nice pics from BerkHippie, and I'll be looking to take up residence in a refrigerator carton in downtown SF.

·
Burden to society
3,330 Posts
I want a bike that has soul and character- something vintage looking, that is reliable and can still put a smile on my face. I wont be doing any hardcore cross country touring. But, 300-400 mile days once in a while will be required.
The XR has soul and character. Has a somewhat vintage look. Everyone here can tell you that it will put a smile on your face...:)

I have done a couple "long" days, around 350 miles. :pinch: Fort Lauderdale to Lake City,

Florida.https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lak...80.2209773!2d26.1218038!2m1!1b1!3e0!5i1?hl=en

I was done at the end.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
As an XR owner I can tell ya I have 3 bikes for the riding styles that fit me. There is no perfect one bike. The XR however is my main battle cruiser and the one that puts the most smiles on my face. If I want long boring rides then the Road King fits those 600 mile days. Some here call the XR a hooligan bike, that it is, as it has attitude

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The Jury is in agreement. The Judge got nuthin!

XR is THE bike. The Hyper will mostly sit in the corner -- mine does~!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
If your going to be mile munchin the XR is not going to be perfect but neither is the Judge.But if its one of those trips with a load of mates you have in the summer to get out and have a laugh most bikes are fun anyway.The XR is just great fun it has the XR-Factor :devil:

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
..... If I want long boring rides then the Road King fits those ....

........Jeff's Road King is a clean machine...... :)

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
........Jeff's Road King is a clean machine...... :)
Thanks Tom for the complement. Its really clean LOL I just washed the dust off of it today. That bright white hurts my eyes in the sun but its still boring. I must get my XR back together this week or the next. The weather is here finally

·
Live life like u mean it !
4,578 Posts
My comment would be that in my opinion, the XR is a great all-rounder. It will do most things, but nothing exactly perfectly.
The thing that most of us like is it's looks and it's character. That last point can only be realized by a nice long test ride.
The other thing is that it's pretty much an enthusiasts bike...meaning that if you want the bike to stop/go, handle like a dream etc... You need to play about with it a bit. That's all part of the fun.

·
What do you mean, Harley's vibrate and connectors
2,167 Posts
What type of bike is it? Hmmm, it's a family bike, Pago's XR with a side car, a Twiggy on two wheels. A Jenny Craig advertisement or a Stephen King novel, Thinner, depending on how Jeffery feels about his ultralight XR that day. Couple of Back to the Past bikes, swapping EFI for crabs. The Professoral type, teaching Magoo motorcycle repair lessons almost every day he takes it out when it's not showing it's latino side and taking siesta's whenever it likes by just lying down regardless of where. Mine , which was celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez a year early by reenacting the oil spill. So, what am I saying? Hell, if I know, just buy it and join the club, it has plenty of character and soul, and the best thing- The Magical Magoo's "Marvahlous" Collection of knowledge, hooligans and all things XR, you only have to put up with the owners.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.