XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Like a Blister in the Sun
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a 110 miles now and the bars have grown on me, they just "fit" me. Brakes work great, gearing is perfect......

I tell ya my "mods" list is getting smaller, all I think it needs are some:

Xied's
Slip ons (someone has to make some good ones sooner or later)
De-reflectorized
Shock spacer blocks to raise the rear (Adrenaline Moto working on it) and quicken the steering
Corbin saddle (they'll make one)
Some "smoked" turn signal lenses

I'm so pleased with this bike, it's AWESOME :D

G

·
boatguy...

you'll get used to the saddle too! believe me...I made a seven hour trip with the bike and after that my ass got used to the saddle lol...

·
My giant goes with me wherever I go.
14,911 Posts
the short list....

yeah, I'm down to a pretty short list too:

Xieds
Remus
Ohlins

I gotta find a quick turn throttle...I almost planted myself in the back of a truck less than 20 minutes ago....I was hot dogging it a little, was coming up on a truck quickly, turned the thottle off...but when I quit turning my wrist I was still at quarter throtte....aiiiiii.....this has happened more than a couple of times...

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Amen, Brother! Amen!

At a 110 miles now and the bars have grown on me, they just "fit" me. Brakes work great, gearing is perfect......

I tell ya my "mods" list is getting smaller, all I think it needs are some:

Xied's
Slip ons (someone has to make some good ones sooner or later)
De-reflectorized
Shock spacer blocks to raise the rear (Adrenaline Moto working on it) and quicken the steering
Corbin saddle (they'll make one)

I'm so pleased with this bike, it's AWESOME :D

Know exactly how you feel...

Per your list:

- I've got a set of XIED's, but I haven't put 'em on yet because it hadn't seem to need 'em. Right now I am still getting pretty poor mileage (like 32.4 MPG on one tank today...) so I don't know if I want it richer until I mod the exhaust and/or change the air filter. I've got a PiperCross foam filter from Adrenalin Moto but I haven't installed it yet.

- Quat-D makes some pretty neat looking slip-on's, but I'm still waiting to see some more pipe choices before I decide if I am going to change. Personally I like the shape and look of the stock mufflers, but I do want to get rid of the catalytic converter... Once that's gone I may actually leave the stock mufflers on there.

- I've already "de-reflectorized" mine! :D

- I am going to play with the suspension simply because that's what I do - i.e. I have been tuning suspensions and reworking shocks since 1973 - and I just can't leave suspensions alone. However, Matt at Adrenalin and I have some different ideas on the best way to get to essentially the same goal... I've been talking a lot with Dan at Traxxion Dynamics, and no doubt I will end up with one of their AK-20 cartridge replacements for the forks along with some interesting fork caps we're discussing. Most likely I will end up with Penske shocks out back... And they'll be longer, though most likely I will not have reservoirs on 'em, simply because I like the "look" on the XR without 'em. I can't see how I will ever work 'em hard enough on the street to need reservoirs...

- I'm with you on doing something about the saddle, though I will probably let Sargent re-work a stock seat pan for me like they did on my Ducati Hypermotard...

- I don't mind the stock turn signals, though I might try some small Rizoma's or the like somewhere down the road.

From the beginning I've loved the bars... They really are like some old flat trackers I used to run back in the early '70's! Probably will replace the brake lines, too, but not with H-D's stainless ones because I can't believe they hung CHROME on their's...

Might get some lightweight wheels and rotors, too... And a chain conversion kit might be a possibility, too.

Ya' know, I think I've come up with a really interesting solution... I'm gonna' buy ANOTHER XR1200. That way I can leave one completely stock, 'cuz I love it that way, but then I can still have one to modify all over the place!!! ;) :D ;)

Dallara

~

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Know exactly how you feel...

Per your list:

- I've got a set of XIED's, but I haven't put 'em on yet because it hadn't seem to need 'em. Right now I am still getting pretty poor mileage (like 32.4 MPG on one tank today...) so I don't know if I want it richer until I mod the exhaust and/or change the air filter. I've got a PiperCross foam filter from Adrenalin Moto but I haven't installed it yet.

- Quat-D makes some pretty neat looking slip-on's, but I'm still waiting to see some more pipe choices before I decide if I am going to change. Personally I like the shape and look of the stock mufflers, but I do want to get rid of the catalytic converter... Once that's gone I may actually leave the stock mufflers on there.

- I've already "de-reflectorized" mine! :D

- I am going to play with the suspension simply because that's what I do - i.e. I have been tuning suspensions and reworking shocks since 1973 - and I just can't leave suspensions alone. However, Matt at Adrenalin and I have some different ideas on the best way to get to essentially the same goal... I've been talking a lot with Dan at Traxxion Dynamics, and no doubt I will end up with one of their AK-20 cartridge replacements for the forks along with some interesting fork caps we're discussing. Most likely I will end up with Penske shocks out back... And they'll be longer, though most likely I will not have reservoirs on 'em, simply because I like the "look" on the XR without 'em. I can't see how I will ever work 'em hard enough on the street to need reservoirs...

- I'm with you on doing something about the saddle, though I will probably let Sargent re-work a stock seat pan for me like they did on my Ducati Hypermotard...

- I don't mind the stock turn signals, though I might try some small Rizoma's or the like somewhere down the road.

From the beginning I've loved the bars... They really are like some old flat trackers I used to run back in the early '70's! Probably will replace the brake lines, too, but not with H-D's stainless ones because I can't believe they hung CHROME on their's...

Might get some lightweight wheels and rotors, too... And a chain conversion kit might be a possibility, too.

Ya' know, I think I've come up with a really interesting solution... I'm gonna' buy ANOTHER XR1200. That way I can leave one completely stock, 'cuz I love it that way, but then I can still have one to modify all over the place!!! ;) :D ;)

Dallara

~
Utah..........gimme two!!

I like the stock turn signals just want to get some smoked lenses for em', I heard the Sportster smoked lenses work for the front, but not the back, read that somewhere?

I will wait till November to add some Xieds and slip-ons, gotta do a little trip overseas for a few months and I'm sure a whole bunch of new slip ons will pop up by then. I really hope V&H or Supertrapp make something worth while.

JT

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
my list is getting shorter too

I, like most of you, had a long list of potential mods to make the XR usable, shorter bars, Power Commander/Supertuner, Pipe, intake mods, suspension and brake upgrades, etc. I probably spent $3,000 in my head before I sung the first leg over bike. But after riding I sensed the need to modify was not as great as I anticipated.

At 550 miles I no longer need the Supertuner, I did install XIED's, I am waiting for slip on from some more manufacturers, I don't like the routing of the Supertrapp system, the Storz/Bub system comes in black ceramic or Chrome (yuck), Vance and Hines is working on something, maybe others. I may just remove catalytic converter guts, and leave the rest stock, I like the look of the stock system.

A new low restriction air filter would be ok,

Suspension will be worked, but not as soon as I first thought. I will probably put a set of rebuilt Marzzochi's I have on it, will raise 1.25", maybe drop front 1/2", and try lighter fork oil. Not a pressing concern right now.

The bars seem to have shrunk to fit me a little, oh yeah, I cut an inch (1/2" each side) off to make narrower, yet still use the "dimples" for wiring. Also filled bars with a mix of sand and crushed walnut shells to damp vibration, not as heavy as shot, the bike does not need additional weight.

The XIEDs seem to help the lean surge, and stumble off idle, hard to tell since weather is cool, high today was 60f. The mileage seems to be down just a wee bit. I turned a 48.5 mph on a 100 mile loop, 85% highway 15% city, no XIEDs. I drove at speed limits (close) and didn't accelerate too wildly (I do like the sound as the throttle opens). I rode same route today with XIEDs and turned a 46mpg. I didn't exceed 5k rpm, kept in the 3 to 4k range both times.

Just hit 500 miles at end of loop, gassed up, figured mileage, then "went for it"

The bike has a broad, consistant powerband, with plenty of torque. This is why I plan on keeping the stock exhaust, I don't need top end, will rarely see it. I will do it once just to have been there.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Ha! Great minds think alike!

I started to cut my bars today but went for a ride instead:). Just like my old enduro bikes, take a half inch off each side.....now, where is that old set of Bark Busters I've got laying around here.....and I'm with you on the pipes...though lately I find myself fantasizing about the Remus setup....I think I need to get more hobbies........I've always liked what Midas, I mean SCOTTY, did with his.........

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
I remember the days we would cut our bars to fit between trees on reservation, Then we got the first Husky in, moved perches to cross bar, took hacksaw and began to cut. About 10stroke and the teeth oere completely gone from hacksaw blade, oh, that's what Swedish chrome moly steel is. I remember hitting a kid head on in the pit off of the back road to Hurlburt. Totally destroyed his bars, tweeked his forks, bent his front rim (it was he that ws going the wrong way on a one way trail). Husky damage, none. Priceless

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like the look of the stock exhaust system. I contacted Drummer (Buell stock can modders) to see if they could mod the XR's stock cans.

They said they need a donor set to cut up and see if it'll work. If they could do it, for a reasonable price, that would be ideal for me.

Anyone that switched to an aftermarket exhaust want to donate their cans for the cause?

http://www.kdfab.com/drummer intro.htm

G

·
I really don't like the look of the Supertrapp system...header routing is ugly...

slip ons are cool for sound but you do not get rid of the low cat section on the original headers...I hate them because I scraped already a few times...and you all know what happens when something touches the ground that won't fold back like the pegs...
lot of euro testers crashed the bike when testing it because the hit the ground with the exhaust...

you can tell urself...that's mine:

·
Gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which I desire
51 Posts
There are two reasons I won't be modding my XR very much.

1) Money. Lots of different obligations. Lousy, mildly scary economy. I could slap a set of pipes on a credit card, but now isn't the time to be taking on extra debt. And those rainy day savings I've got aren't for motorcycle parts. Regardless, I feel blessed to have such a cool bike. And since I plan on keeping this one, maybe I'll have more expendable cash in the future.

And B), the XR is pretty awesome as it is. Plenty of "get in trouble" capability stock, and sufficiently few and far between enough not to need personalization to stand out from the pack. I've already yanked the reflectors off, and added a turn signal/brake lamp module to it, so technically it isn't "bone" stock anymore. Beyond my anal-retentive oil change schedule, the only mod I see this season is Adrenalin-Moto's rear shock spacers when they're available.

As an afterthought, I'm not against leaving mine practically stock for another reason, too. My screen saver is an original '69 Plymouth Hemi Road Runner, my all-time favorite car (in orange, of course). The car is not restored and gets driven, so it has a bit of battle damage. To me, this is way cooler than those restorations where folks even replicate factory chalk marks that are hidden from view anyway. Ten or fifteen or twenty years from now a stock XR, regardless of wear, will be very cool to see, and I don't mean from an investment perspective - just an original piece.

Plus I don't have money for mods right now.

furyus

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Stock shmock, mines gonna get its arse kicked :D:D

We had a little nice weather yesterday, 40f = 4c so i whipped the XR out in the afternoon, and the Softail in the evening (it had dropped to 29f = -2c) by then.:eek:
All in all a good day, two grins for two different reasons.

·
....the original "don't ask me how I know" guy....
172 Posts
Furyus, Im right there with ya as far as the mods. Im really excited to see what people are doing to these bikes, but I think mine is gonna be stock....forever. The only thing I did was fit XIEDs. Those are easily reversed.

BTW, Im a Mopar guy myself. I had a Cuda, a Roadrunner and an old 64 Dart (my first old car that I bought for $80), but my favorite car out of the lot was my 65 Dart. It was just a fun car and I had many good times in it!!!

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the list is getting shorter, I'm not going to raise the rear cause' I need to keep the 2 up option, my little girl loves rides around the block :eek:

Raising the rear via $1000 worth of shocks dosen't work for me.

Here is where I'm at right now with the mods list:

Xied's
Slip ons
De-reflectorized
Corbin saddle or Sargent saddle (they'll make one)
Custom black license plate frame :)

What's that like $900 max? Pretty sweet!!

·
Son of a Son of a Sailor
195 Posts
Raise rear vs drop front

My plan is to drop the front about 3/4 to 1 inch. At this point I haven't been able to find a spacer for the bars, so I am taking a bar clamp ($23) and flipping it over to make a new, higher bottom clamp, and mounting a set of Night Rod Special bars ($59). This will give me the room to drop the triple tree on the fork tubes about 3/4 ". should not affect ground clearance, get my short legs a better grip on the ground when stopped, and still have about a 2" drop in the bar height, narrower and a little less pull back. It's all academic till next week when bars come in.

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My plan is to drop the front about 3/4 to 1 inch. At this point I haven't been able to find a spacer for the bars, so I am taking a bar clamp ($23) and flipping it over to make a new, higher bottom clamp, and mounting a set of Night Rod Special bars ($59). This will give me the room to drop the triple tree on the fork tubes about 3/4 ". should not affect ground clearance, get my short legs a better grip on the ground when stopped, and still have about a 2" drop in the bar height, narrower and a little less pull back. It's all academic till next week when bars come in.
You think you'll be able to get away with using the stock clutch cable and brake lines without them kinking up?

What's your inseam?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts