XR1200 Owners Group banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Made some time today for the XR project . All I can say is OMG Who ever did this, PUT THE WRENCHES DOWN and step away from doing your own repairs/modifications . There's stuff that wastes time,there's stuff that wastes money, there's even stuff that wastes time and money at the same time no less. But by my estimates , it would take the same amount of time and money to buy the right handle bars instead of BUTCHER something up like this and call it SAFE ?. 1.25" pro taper bar ,ground down to .75" and cut 3 pieces of 1"tube to slip/pound, back onto what you already ground off ....O and don't forget to slit it up the side to accommodate the taper:clap:

On a good note,I did manage to shed some light as to where it's heading. Front end should be here this week along with a set of wheels. My poor KTM needs some loving as well,but I'm just going to have to wait

Attachments

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
Sleeving the 7/8” ends to 1” to accept the HD controls is not that far out of normal. It does look a little hacked tho. The big question is how did this person fit the 1 1/8” center section to the XR tree/ bar mount?
Edit...I see from your other photos that they used a riser like a Rox or something.

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
I was trying to give that person the benefit of the doubt. Clearly they don’t deserve it. You are correct. This person should put away the wrenches, the saw, and the BFH.

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
doh.gif

That is all I got.........all I got!

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's some incompetence :confused:

Poor bike, well done for rescuing it :)

Just noticed the vin number, have we mentioned before that its a european spec bike from the same batch as mine, is that normal in Canada?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
NOTHING is "normal" in Canada right now. Ithink EU and Can share the same batch/prod #s

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got a little work done today.Got my XR/GSX-R steering stem built and test fitted.Still need a couple tweeks for the stem to fit properly,but we're close . Yes that is the OEM top triple tree in the picture , but it is only there to stop the forks from shooting out the top while setting things up. The Suzuki one (top triple) went on without a hitch , but unfortunatly we're not using it and having one built with a inch and a half drop from the top. Wheels look the bees knees,but will be getting pulled soon and powder coated another colour.......one that goes with orange.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
It's really coming along nicely...looking forward to your progression
Regards
Roy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'v been working on this little gem for a while now , and just got it finished enough for a shake down ride. Damn shame I didn't have a front fender as mine is getting painted by a buddy, it's done but not delivered. He did send me a picture to tease me, but won't send a pic of the whole thing.......so what I get, is what you get for a picture.

Attachments

·
used ta could
1,870 Posts
XRs looking good shortbus.
Those big dirt bikes make the best street bikes. I have a 950 Adv.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Got a little more done with this ride. I just want to say a big THANKS to one of the members on here ,Jeremy Connors, for giving me a GREAT deal on the rear sets
and some brake parts.(Not sure why it put the pictures in the middle of the writing ) anyway , just got the lower triple back from powder coat ,after I had ground off alll the sand cast marks and removed a tab for steering damper. Front end can now go back together and start taking measurements for top triple .

Reactions: geno

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
So my buddy was feeling a little left out in the cold when I told him I was building this bike. He's not the kind to sit and ponder too much, so he has "thrown together" this project build. I believe its a Dyna frame (or was to begin with) and a pan head motor.Some cool shit right there folks.

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
That is baddass, for sure!! Love me those pan heads!

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
So my buddy was feeling a little left out in the cold when I told him I was building this bike. He's not the kind to sit and ponder too much, so he has "thrown together" this project build. I believe its a Dyna frame (or was to begin with) and a pan head motor.Some cool shit right there folks. View attachment 247626 View attachment 247627 View attachment 247628
I can hear that exhaust from over here on the other side of the Pacific...rest of the bike is very cool too.

J.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Had to paint the old wheel for now,will change it when I do the chain conversion next winter.

Reactions: geno
21 - 40 of 58 Posts