XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my original plan was to convert a 09 sportster into a 09 XR using various XR parts (tank,swingarm and so on) then while looking on line stumbled across a 09 XR 15 miles from me. Went there, looked at it and worked a trade with the sportster I had and $1500 . So Im into this thing for $1500 plus another $2000 purchase price of the sportster ,so ya $3500 09 XR 1200.I've already got 3500 in parts here waiting to go on and sooo much more over the winter. So the 09 Xr has 25,000 km on it,will probably do some motor work when close to finishing the set up.Not sure what front end is going on this yet,but it will be a 17 in and I'm leaning towards Gold in colour. I really want to use Ohlins out of a duc 1098 but not sure if the steering stem can be adapted (might be to large) and the fork might be too short.Drop triple tree.......maybe ?

Anyway ,looking forward to it .PS New paint will be MUCH closer to stock.....maybe even better !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,246 Posts
Can't wait to see the development of your XR, you know when you buy one...you're just buying a "starter kit", looking forward to see what you do with yours!
Regards
Roy

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
I'd say don't do any motor work right away. Enjoy it for what it is, then decide where you might want improvements with the motor. At 25,000 km (15,000 mi) that is barely broken in. should be a blast! JMHO

·
Don't touch me there!
1,722 Posts
Nice looking bike shortbus, congrats on the purchase! I agree with Geno on the motor work, you may find its pretty damn good already and if not you'll know much more about what you want to do to suit your riding.

·
Reading the Pictures
'12 "x" always in-the-works..
215 Posts
I like it already.. Plenty of attitude in the Buell parts and those bars. And that subtle tank badging is sweet!

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Great project and I like the combination of screen and headlights already. Should be a looker in gold!
Nb. when shooting dark subjects or into a light source, maybe use some fill flash, helps a lot in seeing detail a bit better.
Cheers,

J.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some nice work right here ! Wow.....went to pull the front apart and found some real TRICK fork clamps. Built by Beau-Jack industries, Galvanised with a wrap(mind you, the wrap was hand laid ) Stove bolt and spacer included.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,559 Posts
Beautiful craftsmanship! :)

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,257 Posts
Love the look, the Buell parts really make the look.:clap:
Be warned. Buell headlights leave much to be desired in the seeing at night, much like a stock XR headlight.:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I don't think the Buell or a stock headlight are going to get on this bike. BTW those brackets/clamps were chain-link fence pieces, wrapped with electrical tape . O man I can hear the banjo's playing from here.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Grab the chance to take off the 2 Steel Brkts in the Rear and create 2 new ones from a sheet of Aluminium.Lowers the weight min. 6 Pounds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take the chance to take off the 2 Steel Brkts in the Rear and create 2 new ones from a sheet of Aluminium.Lowers the weight min. 7 Pounds.
It is pretty hilarious how heavy duty the rear tail light bracket is, for sure. They went through the trouble of making an XR-specific aluminum swingarm, and yet this bracket that holds the tail and signal lights(and passenger seat I assume) is made from plate steel.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take the chance to take off the 2 Steel Brkts in the Rear and create 2 new ones from a sheet of Aluminium.Lowers the weight min. 7 Pounds.
Yes will be trimming a lot more than the suggested off the back. The plate that covers the ECU is about 2 pounds of .......umm.....I don't even know what to call it as it does nothing but cover it,and from what , the seat crushing it ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice Place you live.Travelling Spall Road for a while on google Maps tonight.
Punch in Kaslo to Newdenver Hwy 31 A Now thats a nice road !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mocked this up and let it sit for a week or so,just to see if I would like it or hate it. Think I'm going with the latter .

Attachments

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
1,880 Posts
Well......I actually think it's not a completely apalling look, even if the screen doesn't exactly suit vertically mounted headlights.

If the lights were staggered so the bottom one sat a little in front of the top it might start to look interesting, like Ducati did with the 999 (I think it was). Your beam pattern might be bizarre, given your low beams would be deranged off to one side, but you could fix that by mounting the lights in an alternating arrangement, one with low beam to the left, the other with low beam to the right. That would give you a wide spread of light, at least. When high beam is actuated, that should add a "corridor" of light down the middle, pretty much what you'd want for night riding outside of built up areas. If you swapped the stock halogen H4 filaments for LED inserts, that might give you sufficient lumens to make a go of the idea. Far as I know, that involves wiring in resistors, though.

A for effort, anyhow. It certainly marks you as an individual, so that's got to count for something.

J.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
These Buell XB Lights dont work.Forget it.The Aliminium damped on inside the Plastik Body.Will nor last very long and thats it.In this Position the System dont works right.We tryin Chromespray ,works in the Garage but not on the Road.For a Trailerqueen well it might be okay...........................
Sry for that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm noty going to know anything until the new front end arrives along with 17in hoop ,it was just a thought,and I personally didn't like it much anyway.As for riding in the dark, I can't see that happening.(pun intended)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts