XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bike back together again after test fitting some front ends and other stuff.

I now have the complete cafe racer triple tree setup (top and bottom) fitted, and decided to fit the Cafe Racer style top fairing that I had laying around for a while. It uses the stock XR headlight although new mounts for both the headlight and fairing needed to be made. It took me a little while to get used to the new look but now a really like it :)

I also took the old axle sliders/paddock stand bobbins off and replaced them with the new GSG Moto paddock stand adapters/bobbins. Unlike the other types, these allow you to remove the rear wheel while on a paddock stand whcih is much more useful. I used the Rizoma bobbins simply because I think they look better and they have a large diameter plastic guard to avoid scratching the swingarm. I have replaced the axle sliders with new Free Spirits items.

Next job to do is to get the thing dynoed :)

·
Premium Member
14,912 Posts
no way to respond..........

Words cannot adequately respond to this post for me.....I feel as though I should respond with some type of music or poetry.....:innocent:

ummmmmmmm, nice Matt, .... real nice......:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Keeping Them Flying
183 Posts
I'm going to need another XR.:nono:

G

·
Really hate the fairing...ruins the whole look in my opinion!

I'm just honest...

Exhaust is cool though, way better than the storz "weird header routing"-thing...
Think those are the only high exhausts?

G

·
Like the looks of the exhaust.

Just can't see it being too comfortable (cool) on a 400 mile trip.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really hate the fairing...ruins the whole look in my opinion!

I'm just honest...
I hated it too to start with I must admit, and mounted it twice before I thought it was about right. Now though I like it (although that doesn't mean it won't change again of course) :)

Exhaust is cool though, way better than the storz "weird header routing"-thing...
Think those are the only high exhausts/
The only ones that I have seen so far, except for a Japanese system on the web somewhere (similar to the Storz/Bub system).

This one was influenced more by the Irving Vincent race bike than any H-D racers. We ended up combining the header length that we knew worked on the Buell racers with as much of the Vincent look as we could get :) I think the results works really well and sounds glorious (although not exactly road legal here)

Hopefully we will have all the price details etc on this one next week and I'll try to find time to take it to the dyno as soon as I can too.

G

·
I hated it too to start with I must admit, and mounted it twice before I thought it was about right. Now though I like it (although that doesn't mean it won't change again of course) :)

The only ones that I have seen so far, except for a Japanese system on the web somewhere (similar to the Storz/Bub system).

This one was influenced more by the Irving Vincent race bike than any H-D racers. We ended up combining the header length that we knew worked on the Buell racers with as much of the Vincent look as we could get :) I think the results works really well and sounds glorious (although not exactly road legal here)

Hopefully we will have all the price details etc on this one next week and I'll try to find time to take it to the dyno as soon as I can too.

Post a vid of it! :)

I don't like fairings at all...that's just me. Even on a tourer I would remove the screens and stuff...
SPortsbike is something different as the whole bike is a fairing lol

I just love the look of the small XR lamp tucked into the forks...

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
KICK ASS!:clap: Later,

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1 on that!
Horses for courses :) I never wanted a flat track replica, and as soon as the bike was launched I had a pretty firm idea that it was the cafe racer route that I wanted to take.

The fairing was a long time in getting fitted, as it sat in my workshop 'under review' for almost 5 months before I finally decided I would use it.

However, the decision was eventually swung by the fact that I always liked the concept of the XLCR and the XR750TT much more than the XR750 flat tracker, but wanted to bring it up to date with modern running gear and components. Without a fairing it still didn't have the right look for what I wanted, and still looked too instantly recognisable as an XR1200 at first glance.

I also wanted to build a bike that people had to double take to see it was actually a Harley Davidson, rather than look like a 'traditional' H-D styled machine, and I think that has been largely achieved, judging by the positive comments that the bike has received from the 'non Harley' bikers that have seen it :)

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,311 Posts
Like Benny, its just the fairing i dont like, the rest of it is cool as ****..:D

Funny thing is i quite like the XLCR pics that were posted a few weeks ago!
I just dont think you bike suits the fairing, like you say, its just personal taste..

G

·
I don't give a :001_9898: about flat tracking...so I did not care about the XR's "heritage"...for me it's just a sportster like a sportster should be...like the late sixties XLCH's...no wannabe big twin like the XL custom crap...and I took mine more on the modern route...

I just love naked bikes! And your bike looked kick-ass to me till yet...well from tank to the back it's still kick-ass ;)

for me..this is the ultimate cafe racer look..and it ain't got a fairing! :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.