XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a faulty Stoplight Switch, whether that is the front brake switch or rear brake switch is to be determined.

Symptoms: Rear Brake Light does not turn OFF.

The 2009 Service Manual shows how to replace the Rear Stoplight Switch in Section 6.27, on page 6-72. The Front Stoplight Switch replacement is covered in Section 6.40, on page 6-103 to 6-105.

Am I to assume there is no way to test which one of these switches has gone out before I replace them?

The Rear Stoplight Switch looks much simpler to replace than the Front Stoplight Switch. If the solution is to throw parts at the problem, I'll replace the rear first.

Thoughts?

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Can you get to the contacts? Just put a meter across the 2 contact to see if the switch is constantly on.

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Where 4 plugs into 3 (figure 6-97). Unplug it. You should have the contacts exposed at that point.

·
Super Moderator
18,659 Posts
Unplug the wires to the rear, if the light goes out, the rear switch is bad - if it stays on, the front switch is bad. Simple

·
Can't leave anything stock
41 Posts
This happened to me also, and had it not been the same time I replaced the handlebars, I might have been hunting like you. In the handle where the brake lever pivots is a rubber nipple. If the nipple is out, the brake light is on. When pushed in, the brake light turns off. If that lever doesn't hit perfectly, it won't engage the nipple and push it in. Since my bars weren't dimpled and I had to modify things and it took a while to make sure the lever and nipple line up.

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
You have you throttle apart Joe? Check that lil button under the break lever. I put after market levers on and it would not make contact with that button. Scuffed my lever up and put a bead of epoxy on it where it makes contact and all was good and has been ever since

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I had the same problem. Brake light stayed on constantly. When I disconected a wire from the rear brake light switch, the light went off. Replaced the rear brake light switch and that solved it. Mort

·
www.jp2code.net
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the rear brake light switch.

I unplugged it and the light worked.

Now, anything special to know when I change out that rear switch? Does brake fluid spew everywhere?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It's the rear brake light switch.

I unplugged it and the light worked.

Now, anything special to know when I change out that rear switch? Does brake fluid spew everywhere?
HI Joe-Just have the new switch ready to go and a rag on hand. I left the master cylinder cover on while changing the switch. Just a couple of drops of fluid came out as I threaded the new switch on quickly. I did not have to bleed the brake and the lever stayed firm. Easy, no worries-Mort

1 - 13 of 13 Posts