XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put two Supertrapp slip-on muffler in aluminum...

cheap and sexy, i think it is the best solution for me right now.

(i do not have money for the termignoni exhaust)

just want to know if someone did the same before and if i need a fuel pack to remap the bike in this case scenario

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
I' ve used the Supertrapp slip-on muffler in aluminum on mine, you dont need to change the fueling but for $80 i fitted a pair of XIED,s they richen things up a little, they plug in in about 5 mins.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
ty

ty so much...

honestly my first idea was to use the stainless supertrapp slip-on . but i changed my mind when i saw the pics of your bike on the xl forum couples months ago...

so duble ty

·
7,305 Posts
The only thing i would advise against is using the weld on aluminium bracket that comes with the cans, it shows it on the top pic. I am not convinced it will take the shaking around that the XR motor does, i have just used the clamps to secure them drilled and pinned the cans, you get the pin in with the cans.
I have had them on my bike since last July and they work well.
Not sure if you intend to do anything about the cat (if your bike has one) your choices are either replace it completely, as i did or cut it open and remove the internals and weld it back up again. The best option is to cut it and remove the internals, that way you wont loose the strength that the cat box gives the rest of the system.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
What about using the stock muffler gasket inside the supertrapp muffler to keep the movement in between the headers and the mufflers

i think the supertrapp mufflers are to heavy to be held only by the headers

·
7,305 Posts
If you are gonna use the stainless steel mufflers then i think you will be right with the weight thing, but if you go for the aluminum ones as i have then you should be fine they only weigh 3lbs/1.4 Kg each.
Mine have been on the bike since last july and they are fine, what i did is weld a bolt onto the back of the pipe and took a bracket up to the rear exhaust mounting, and a bracket from that bolt to the lower pipe because i had lost the strength of the cat box.

Also when i did it i had to sleeve the mufflers as i could only get 1.75" mufflers, but you can get 1.5" which from what i can remember that is about the size of the outlet on the pipes.
I'm gonna send you some pics in a couple of PM's as they are to big to post.

Here are links to the Supertrapp mufflers so you can see what they do

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=34

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/universal/index.asp

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bike looks great le_Strike
Yeah, I'd have to agree. She looks sweet.....in fact that setup would have to be my favourite at the moment. The shorter twin cans retain the original vibe but look a lot sportier. Most of the current full systems (Supertrapp, V&H, D&D) stick out way too far for my liking.

I think it may be the "parallel" cans that make this setup look better IMO. Spreading the mufflers ends apart may be bettter for exhaust flow but it kills the looks. Scotty, If you want that orange one to look as good le-strikes you will have to adjust those mufflers to be parallel.......and then paint it black. :D

I need to retain a quiet exhaust system. Are these Supertrapps much louder than stock? The new XR1200 Supertrapp 2 into 2 system on youtube defintely sounds the best to me.....but unsure of the volume increase.

Cheers
Pete

·
7,305 Posts
I need to retain a quiet exhaust system. Are these Supertrapps much louder than stock? The new XR1200 Supertrapp 2 into 2 system on youtube defintely sounds the best to me.....but unsure of the volume increase.

Pete
They work out just fine in the noise department, not in your face loud and not to quiet, you can also alter that by removing or adding discs.

I have another little trick up my sleeve that i am gonna do with mine, i will post about it when i do it.

And i am gonna paint them black...:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I to like the look of this exhaust. Ordered a couple of e-bay for $303 shipped. Hoping to just pin & clamp them on so I can get rid of the footpeg brackets Will see.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'd have to agree. She looks sweet.....in fact that setup would have to be my favourite at the moment. The shorter twin cans retain the original vibe but look a lot sportier. Most of the current full systems (Supertrapp, V&H, D&D) stick out way too far for my liking.

I think it may be the "parallel" cans that make this setup look better IMO. Spreading the mufflers ends apart may be bettter for exhaust flow but it kills the looks. Scotty, If you want that orange one to look as good le-strikes you will have to adjust those mufflers to be parallel.......and then paint it black. :D

Cheers
Pete
The orange one is not mine...
I just finished to mount my exhaust yesterday. the pic is on post 7
Hey scotty... is that yours ?

I gonna powder coat black and black wrinkle a lot of parts next winter...

·
7,305 Posts
So if I order the 1.5" diameter, 1.75" core, I will not need a reducer?
I think that should be fine, but just to make sure, pop your mufflers off and measure the outlets.
It is very straight forward to take them off, better safe than sorry. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Recieved and installed the 1.5 inch supertraps.They fit perfect and sound great with the eight discs that came with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
They just hang from the headers pinned and clamped on. Really cleaned the look of the bike up with no footpeg brackets .:)

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
What have you folks noted with the bikes performance after the upgrade?

MPG change much?

Any chance that next guy who does this could take some pictures of the install for those of us who are mechanically challenged?

Scotty, were did you get the XIED's for $80? They are $99 "internet special" and back ordered on nightrider.com.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts