XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Casey Stoney on his Ducati won the rescheduled first event of the MotoGP series in Qatar by freakin' seven seconds over Valentino Rossi's Yamaha....say it ain't so!

Nicky Hayden, in his first race on the MotoGP Ducati, managed to survive a 130 mph highside (how you likin' that traction control now Nicky?) in practice with only stitches in his chest and bruises on his back (I'll bet!). By race time he struggled back on the bike but could only manage a 12th place finish.

Next weekend, April 24-26th, they will light up the MotoGP bikes at the Polini Grand Prix of Japan held at the Twin Ring Motegi circuit.

I think this track was originally built as Honda's test track....that should be interesting for Andrea Dovizioso and Dani Pedrosa as their Repsol Honda's could only manage a 5th and an 11th respectively at Qatar. I don't think Honda is going to be happy with the same sort of results at their home track.:eek:

Hopefully the Stoner/Rossi thing will bloom into a full blown knife fight....that'll be fun....:) I'll look around for some TV coverage...........

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Qatar has always been a bit of a Ducati/Stoner benefit, so hopefully the season will start proper in China. The single tyre rule has certainly done nothing for closer racing, and in fact has probably strung the field out even fuirther than last year. This is because the single tyre chosen is based on the ones that only Ducati and Rossi had access to last year, so everyone else will still be playing catchup when the circus gets to Europe.

Kallio was impressive in his first MotoGP race, and I have a sneaking suspicion that he may be the only other rider to get to grips with the GP9 Ducati this year. Hayden showed no signs of mastering the Ducati, even before his big crash, and likewise double World Superbike Champ James Toseland continues to look decidely average on the Yamaha. Given that the other 3 Yamahas filled 3 of the top 4 slots in Qatar I'm sure James is in fear of his job for 2010 already.

I would suspect that the top 5 for China will be similar to the finishers for Qatar, with maybe Dovizioso and Capirossi making more impact.

·
Living the dream.....
274 Posts
I'm hoping Colin Edwards continues his impressive form. I think the fued between him and JT is just what the Torando needed.

I really feel for Nicky though. Tough road ahead for him!

I'm just not excited for Moto GP this year. I think WSBK is where it's at! The Moto GP grid is so small and I really think it will be the Rossi and Stoner show all year again.Don't get me wrong I'm still a huge Rossi fan but the rest of the grid is just beaten. (imo)

I hope I'm wrong!

G

·
I'm just not excited for Moto GP this year. I think WSBK is where it's at! The Moto GP grid is so small and I really think it will be the Rossi and Stoner show all year again.Don't get me wrong I'm still a huge Rossi fan but the rest of the grid is just beaten. (imo)

I hope I'm wrong!
I think you're not...WSBK races were much more interesting so far!

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Until today :)
great racing right through the field, with some spectacular overtaking as well as a shock result (I won't give the result just in case you haven't seen it yet).

I tipped Mika Kallio to be worth watching at the start of the year and the boy hasn't disappointed me yet. Another great race from the back of the grid :)

James Toseland needs to start negotiations with a few WSB teams methinks, as his job at MotoGP doesn't look too secure at the moment after another largely unimpressive ride. With Simoncelli and Spies being tipped for the Tech 3 Yamaha squad next year it would be hard to argue for either Toseland or Edwards to keep their place in 2010.

I've just watched race two from Assen WSB, and that was pretty good too (unles you are a Ben Spies fan of course). Congratulations to Leon Haslam for a couple of great results.

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow!

Well, I didn't expect that! Lorenzo plain beat his teammate Rossi....Yamaha has to be feeling pretty good about it World Championship chances. But with the Spaniards Lorenzo and Pedrosa finishing first and third it should make the next round (in Spain) very intense. The Spanish go nuts for their riders!!! Stoner was a distant fourth....didn't catch the whole race because I was watching Taladega....yes, NASCAR...if you gat a chance to see a replay of todays race at Taladega don't miss it...the finish was CRAZY! Carl Edwards got airborne, hit the fence about 8 ft off the ground, slid to a stop, on fire, got out of his car and ran to the finish line like in "Taladega Nights". It was great....of course he lost [:(].

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just heard....

I've heard bits and pieces...haven't checked it out on the web yet.......I hope you are saying what I think you are saying.........:eek:

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
Did you guys catch the clinic Rossi put on yesterday? Very good stuff!
What an amazing turnaround from practice/qualifying. Rossi/Burgess are certainly thebestin the world when it comes to setup. After struggling in qualifying they decided to raise the rear ride height by 7mm (a mile in racing terms) and it worked!

If that doesn't knock the wind out of Stoner/Pedrosa/Lorenzo I don't know what will (although Lorenzo did a good job of knocking the wind out of himself). Just two more wins for Rossi to celebrate his 100, which should coincide quite nicely with his home GP. Some party that will be :)

Amazing to think that Toseland is on basically the same bike as Rossi :(

Congratulations must also go to young Bradley Smith, who absolutely dominated the 125 race and won by 13 seconds. It has taken him longer than expected to get on the top step of the podium, but I think we'll see it a lot more often yet. Hard to believe he has already done 50 GP's. He looks like he should be back at school.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.