XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Anyone aware of any stock-like bars that are out there that have less pullback? Biltwell Tracker High's are about all I can find. Anyone running them?

I like the height and width of the stock bars, but I think a little less pullback would suit me better and give a touch more forward lean without having to get into clutch/brake line management. Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,481 Posts
If you go to post #14 in this thread, member Thomgoo listed all the Harley handlebars with their part numbers and the measurements that may help you decide what you’re after.

·
Sonya's a pretty kitty!
3,439 Posts
Agree re Biltwell construction quality. I put a pair of their Mustache bars on many years ago. About the same rise as stock but 5 cm narrower both sides, great for lane splitting and narrow gates, both of which I deal with every ride. Available dimpled for cable positioning out of the switchblocks. Big upvote from me.

J.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roy - Thank you! I thought I saw all of the handlebar threads on the site but did not come across that one yet. Very helpful. The specs look more accurate than what I found here: Motorcycle Stock Handlebars Measurements - Stock Bars

I just put an order in for Tracker High's. Based on Thomgoo's specs, they should be 1" lower, 1" narrower, but with about 2" less pull-back.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS: I was REALLY close to ordering chrome bars. On purpose. I saw them somewhere on the site and really liked the look. Plus I'd expect them to be more durable than painted/plated bars - my stockers are marred up from running the HD sport screen.

Call off the mob - I went with black to be safe ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all - Anyone aware of any stock-like bars that are out there that have less pullback? Biltwell Tracker High's are about all I can find. Anyone running them?

I like the height and width of the stock bars, but I think a little less pullback would suit me better and give a touch more forward lean without having to get into clutch/brake line management. Thanks!
I have Harley davidson Sportster 1200S bars in black on my XRX. They work for me, and no cable chage.They are lower and narrower. Bolt right on.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Sir: I have a set of excellent factory take-offs you can have for cheap, if you'd like. A "day-2" installation on my 2010 XR and personally, I never cared for them. Quite a bit less rise...less pullback...slightly less in width. Let me know if you want to give them a try.
Wood Table Flooring Rectangle Sleeve
Textile Wood Flooring Floor Bag

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sir: I have a set of excellent factory take-offs you can have for cheap, if you'd like. A "day-2" installation on my 2010 XR and personally, I never cared for them. Quite a bit less rise...less pullback...slightly less in width. Let me know if you want to give them a try.
View attachment 251476 View attachment 251477

I'm pretty sure I'm running these bars. 1 inch rise and 30%ish narrower?

I ADORE them. It's like a half hearted tuck, if you want, or you can sit up pretty straight if you don't want to (I'm 180cm). I can be very aggressive or relaxed.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's awesome, thank you! I'll see how these Biltwells do, but will let you know on the side if I am interested.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got the Biltwell Tracker High's in the mail. What I immediately notice:
  • Narrower than stock by more than expected. (2" maybe)
  • Slightly sharper bends than the stockers. (fine w/me)
  • Much less pullback, like I wanted. Probably about 3" less.
  • Height looks very similar to stock - maybe a little less if anything.
  • Black finish looks very similar to stock finish.
  • Quality looks top notch.
These are "slotted" bars - I heard the term slotted and dimpled and I assumed I knew what that meant, but these literally have maybe 7/16 or 1/2" channels cut into the bars where the stock cables need to sit behind the switch clusters. (maybe I am exaggerating - but they're surprisingly big). There is no slot between the clamps... Was hoping there was so I could consider running the wiring internally. Not sure if I am expected to drill something myself or if it's not recommended.

Once I get some tinker-time I will do some measurements, side-by-side comparisons, and before and afters.

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
These are "slotted" bars - I heard the term slotted and dimpled and I assumed I knew what that meant, but these literally have maybe 7/16 or 1/2" channels cut into the bars where the stock cables need to sit behind the switch clusters. (maybe I am exaggerating - but they're surprisingly big). There is no slot between the clamps... Was hoping there was so I could consider running the wiring internally. Not sure if I am expected to drill something myself or if it's not recommended.

Once I get some tinker-time I will do some measurements, side-by-side comparisons, and before and afters.
You will notice that the chrome molly steel on the Biltwell bars is actually about two times thicker than the OEM bars. They would be alot less prone to bending or deformation in a crash or tipover. Don't ask me how I know ............. :cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts

Those bars honestly changed me from wanting to find a different bike to loving this bike. They're fantastic. I got the 1 inch though.

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No pictures=No bars🤡🤡🤡🤡
A teaser ;)
Composite material Automotive exhaust Metal Automotive exterior Pipe

Waiting on a brake perch clamp to come in the mail today or tomorrow before I dig into the swap. I have internal-element Heat Demon grips which replace one of the clamps; I’m going to leave them wired into the stock bars until I decide I like these enough to swap that all over.

·
used ta could
2,280 Posts
I highly recommend making a handlebar stand. I made mine out of chain link fence parts but you can use pvc pipe and fittings. A couple of Ts, a couple of 90s, some end caps and pipe, BADABING! It makes a swap sooooo much easier. You can bungee stuff up and it won’t be hanging. Especially the master. You can keep it right side up. 2 cents
Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire

·
Braap!
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here are the bars installed. The jury is definitely still out!

Likes: Overall bar position. Bar build quality. Cable length is manageable.

Not sure: The new look. I ran the stock bars laid back a bit and think they looked better. Will see if these grow on me.

Dislikes: 1. Slots in bars seem to be meant for running wires internally, not stock-like clearance of external routing. There wasn’t enough “slot” to mount the grips fully up to the ends of the bars - the brake and clutch clamps pinch off the wires. Not a huge deal with the Avons I’m running, but still. 2. Ran into front brake line clearance issues with the master-cylinder end of the hose; it hits the bars. Therefore I could not rotate the levers downward as much as I wanted and I had to run the bars more upright than I wanted. Adjustment range is currently very limited. I didn’t want to bend or modify the master cylinder locating tabs just yet, but I am aware of those tricks.

Bummer: Lost enough real estate to have to rethink my Power Vision/GPS mount.

Looking forward to riding with them. Especially out on the highway. The position, even with the high’s, is definitely more aggressive.

Even with the dislikes, I know I can’t go back to the stock bars - they seem so weak in comparison.

Hood Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire Grey
Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

1 - 20 of 23 Posts