XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
REMUS complete 2 into 1 system. Stainless steel headers available in polished or satin finish delete the catalyser. This dyno was recorded with STOCK tune.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Hmmm...

I would have thought that the difference would be greater in the mid rpm range.

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
The mid range should feel fuller and have better dyno readings with the race tuner so you can dial in the mixture settings. Mine was super lean at 3000 through 4000, so lean that it was surging at cruising speeds. Anything that makes it richer will help but the SE race tuner lets you adjust for peak performance. :D Later,

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
The Remus dyno charts relate to European spec bikes that have the Active Intake Valve fitted, so US bikes should see a bigger increase even in otherwise stock form. They were also done using stock ECM etc and with the removable exhaust baffles still in place.

Removing the flapper valve, a little work with a suitable fueller (Power Commander/TFi/Race tuner etc), a decent filter and removing the baffles will give much better figures across the board :)

·
Premium Member
14,910 Posts
okay...important safety tip...don't cross the streams..

Matt, thanks for the details. Good explanation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Poor results with Remus full system and Powerizer

My bike is apparently making less power than stock with a Remus full exhaust system, Remus Powerizer, and Pipercross filter. I was noticing a loss of power around 6000 rpm in 5th gear (with the 38 tooth motor sprocket) (the max speed I was able to attain was only 113 mph), so I decided to get my bike dyno tested at my dealer (Montana Harley-Davidson, a performance oriented Harley shop that is also a Ducati and Buell dealer). My results with a Dynojet WINPEP7 in Missoula, MT (3200 feet elevation) were as follows: (1) Baffle out, Powerizer hooked up: Max power = 74.59 and max torque = 68.70, with too rich fueling between 2000 and 3000 rpm and over 5000 rpm (especially over 6000 rpm, which probably accounted for my bogging down in that range); (2) Baffle in, Powerizer hooked up: Max power = 76.49 and max torque = 67.98, with too rich fueling between 2000 and 3000 rpm, but pretty good at all other rpm readings; (3) Baffle out, stock ECM: Max power = 74.63 and max torque = 66.97, with fueling too rich between 2000 and 3000 rpm, too lean between 3000 and 4000 rpm and close to spot on from 4200 rpm to redline; (4) Baffle in, stock ECM: max power = 75.41 and max torque = 66.87, with fueling pretty much identical to the baffle out readings. After getting these poor results, the shop dyno tested my dealer Doug Woodahl's personal XR1200, which is box stock. These were the results: Max power = 83.25 and max torque = 69.22, with fueling on the lean side from 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm. When the shop goes to winter rates, I will put the stock exhaust back on and do some more dyno runs to see if I have a weak motor or if the Remus system isn't all it's cracked up to be. I still like the looks, weight savings, and increased ground clearance with the Remus though.

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
Well...others have received increased power with the Remus system. Streettracker just did a test of a bunch of exhausts on the XR-including the Remus system, and recorded the gains.
From what I gather, you're mapping is all jacked up, so that's the problem . If the shop you're using is a race shop, have 'em map either a PC or the HD kit ECU(SERT?). An exhaust allows the motor to breathe better. It's up to you to add the right amount of fuel to take advantage of it. If your Powerizer isn't cutting it, lose it and have a map built.:clap:

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Did I miss something?

~

Well...others have received increased power with the Remus system. Streettracker just did a test of a bunch of exhausts on the XR-including the Remus system, and recorded the gains.

When, exactly, and in what thread, did Streettracker post the results of his company's dyno tests for exhausts... And where was it shown in those tests that the Remus system showed gains over stock? :confused:

Do you have a link?

Thanks!

Dallara

~

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
My bike is apparently making less power than stock with a Remus full exhaust system, Remus Powerizer, and Pipercross filter. I was noticing a loss of power around 6000 rpm in 5th gear (with the 38 tooth motor sprocket) (the max speed I was able to attain was only 113 mph), so I decided to get my bike dyno tested at my dealer (Montana Harley-Davidson, a performance oriented Harley shop that is also a Ducati and Buell dealer). My results with a Dynojet WINPEP7 in Missoula, MT (3200 feet elevation) were as follows: (1) Baffle out, Powerizer hooked up: Max power = 74.59 and max torque = 68.70, with too rich fueling between 2000 and 3000 rpm and over 5000 rpm (especially over 6000 rpm, which probably accounted for my bogging down in that range); (2) Baffle in, Powerizer hooked up: Max power = 76.49 and max torque = 67.98, with too rich fueling between 2000 and 3000 rpm, but pretty good at all other rpm readings; (3) Baffle out, stock ECM: Max power = 74.63 and max torque = 66.97, with fueling too rich between 2000 and 3000 rpm, too lean between 3000 and 4000 rpm and close to spot on from 4200 rpm to redline; (4) Baffle in, stock ECM: max power = 75.41 and max torque = 66.87, with fueling pretty much identical to the baffle out readings. After getting these poor results, the shop dyno tested my dealer Doug Woodahl's personal XR1200, which is box stock. These were the results: Max power = 83.25 and max torque = 69.22, with fueling on the lean side from 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm. When the shop goes to winter rates, I will put the stock exhaust back on and do some more dyno runs to see if I have a weak motor or if the Remus system isn't all it's cracked up to be. I still like the looks, weight savings, and increased ground clearance with the Remus though.
The Remus full system is consistently showing poor results whether its on a UK/Euro spec bike or a US spec bike. There are several dyno charts on here that show the same poor results with the Remus system when compared to another run on the same bike on the same dyno.

Keep the headers and do what Mortbike did and put another muffler like the Supertrapp on it.
Streettracker dropped a little hint in another thread that the Remus didnt do to well in his exhaust shoot out.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Remus...

~

That's what I thought...

That the Remus had yet to show any gains over stock on anybody's bike, anywhere, and that Streettracker had yet to post any results of their tests, either.

Only thing I thought everyone agreed on about the Remus pipes was that they were significantly lighter than stock, looked pretty good, and all cracked up at the front header pipe mount... ;)

FastKevin, you got any links, etc. showing otherwise?

Dallara

~

·
The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules
1,422 Posts
~

FastKevin, you got any links, etc. showing otherwise?

~
For Remus..?There's a dyno chart on here somewhere, and also on Mat's site:

I personally don't give any weight to manufacturer supplied data, but if that floats your boat..
Don(streettracker) pointed out that I'm an idiot, and have the memory of a gnat. There's also threads all over this forum talking about the Remus, and every other system..IIRC, some complaining about it's gain, but I don't remember one saying anything about the Remus robbing power.
Wouldn't matter if they did..as with the OP's bike, you can't make that call if your bike's AFR is messed up.
I wasn't aware of the 'hate Remus' brigade floating around here, and would appreciate it if you didn't make me your poster boy. All I did was state fact.. You wanna argue AFR has nothing to do with an exhaust's performance,..you should take it up with someone who'll buy into it. I've seen different, hundreds of times.:clap:
FWIW, I don't even own a Remus.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
A bit touchy, eh, Kev?

~

I personally don't give any weight to manufacturer supplied data, but if that floats your boat..

I don't either... so why did you post the manufacturer's info?

There's also threads all over this forum talking about the Remus, and every other system..IIRC, some complaining about it's gain, but I don't remember one saying anything about the Remus robbing power.

Actually, there were quite a few. Most all well before you joined the forum so it's easy to understand why you didn't see them. If you do a search using Remus or comb a few of the exhaust system threads you'll easily find the posts discussing the Remus system's apparent lack of performance whether with a proper mixture or not.

Wouldn't matter if they did..as with the OP's bike, you can't make that call if your bike's AFR is messed up.

Nobody would argue that an improper mixture would be detrimental to performance... Where did I say anything about that?

I wasn't aware of the 'hate Remus' brigade floating around here, and would appreciate it if you didn't make me your poster boy.

Hell, I wasn't aware there was any sort of "hate Remus" brigade here, or anywhere else for that matter. I certainly don't hate 'em... :rolleyes:

I've never owned one of their products.

Seems you're a bit sensitive on this subject, IMHO.

All I did was state fact..

You said:

"Well...others have received increased power with the Remus system. Streettracker just did a test of a bunch of exhausts on the XR-including the Remus system, and recorded the gains."

I was unaware that was "fact", so I asked where you got the data to make that statement. Nothing more, nothing less. Other than the manufacturer's dyno sheet you posted we still don't know if your above statement is "fact"... It's certainly no problem if it is no more than an opinion. We've all got those. It was just that you did state it as "fact", so I asked where you got the facts from...

You wanna argue AFR has nothing to do with an exhaust's performance,..you should take it up with someone who'll buy into it. I've seen different, hundreds of times.

Nobody with any sense would argue that the AFR has nothing to do with an exhaust's performance... And nowhere did I do so, or even make any sort of implication or inference in that direction.

You might want to note that this is not my first rodeo, nor that of a large portion of other people here. Quite a few here have extensive backgrounds in engine building, engine tuning, engine management systems, owning and operating or working in motorcycle dealerships and repair shops, racing on two-wheels and four, etc.... Certainly matching, or perhaps even exceeding, your own.

As such, maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive. ;)

FWIW, I don't even own a Remus.

As I said, neither do I. And I have no problem whatsoever with you defending their products.

I was just curious where you gleaned your data from to make the conclusions that you did. No need to take it personally. :)

Dallara

~

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
FWIW, i actually think the Remus system is by far the best looking system you can get for the XR, but time after time it shows no decent performance gains, thats my problem with it.
Matter of fact i am looking for some used Remus headers to make a 2-1 for my bike, as i see the headers as being fine, but as a system its a no no.

The Remus dyno chart is a joke in my opinion purely because it shows the XR making 90hp with the stock exhaust and a stock tune, we have not seen anything like these figures on any dyno to date, they claim that the XR with their system and a stock tune makes 95hp, again we have seen nothing even close to that.
Like i said, its not that i dont like the Remus, its just that i dont like the BS that went into promoting it by Remus and those that sell it.
i said all this 7+ months ago but again was lambasted for doing so, but hey, i knew if i just waited it would all come good ;)

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
~

When, exactly, and in what thread, did Streettracker post the results of his company's dyno tests for exhausts... And where was it shown in those tests that the Remus system showed gains over stock? :confused:

Do you have a link?

Thanks!

Dallara

~
Dal..those results havent been posted. ST is doing a magazine article so he can't reveal the numbers yet.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Wink, Wink...

~

Dal..those results havent been posted. ST is doing a magazine article so he can't reveal the numbers yet.

Actually, Cybrdyke...

I was all too well aware of that. I just wanted to make sure others were aware of it, if you get my drift. ;)

You may not have noticed but there has been some editing and deletion of various posts that have cleared up some of the initial confusion.

Thanks! :D

Dallara

~

·
Registered
21 Posts
This weekend it's supposed to warm up here (we've been in a record breaking Arctic freeze!) and I will do a high speed run with the baffle in the Remus exhaust. It appears that that helps the fueling quite a bit. I've been running with the baffle out ever since I put the Remus exhaust on (in June), thinking that would make more power (wrong, but I like the sound!). The shop that did my dyno runs would love to sell me a SERT and charge to dial it in, but they couldn't honestly say they could do much better than the stock bike, given my low numbers, and the fact that even at rpms where the AFR appears right on, it is still making way less power than the stock bike. They think it's the exhaust system. I discussed my results with Matt at Adrenalin Moto and he seems to think I may have a weak motor to begin with. He says dyno results on stock motors have varied widely. My bike uses a quart of oil every 1000 miles (I've put about 6000 miles on it) and I had it compression checked and a leak down test done. The compression results were slightly down from optimum levels, but still within the normal range and not low enough to kick in the warranty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.