XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know using a catch can or any other form of breather has been talked about here a lot, so yesterday I was tinkering with my airbox to verify there is a K&N Filter inside (yes, verified). Will be replacing the fuel filter in the tank too. In the process of removing the airbox, I see the below pictures inside the throttle body. YIKES!!! The “T” hose from “Roonies” Parts Diagram (#6) has the lower hose just hanging over the airbox coupling (#11) that doesn’t even filter the oil vapors, and they go directly into the throttle body. I will not be reinstalling those breather lines (#7) back to the airbox. I’ll be plugging the breather line holes in the airbox, and like so many others here, routing longer breather hoses to either the bottom of the engine, or to a catch can. Something you might think about the next time you clean or replace your air filter. Maybe even before???

Replaced the stock spark plug wires while I had the tank lifted for this, and man, those stock wires make Calista Flockart look like she could be on the next episode of My 600 lbs. Life!!!

This makes me want to clean the throttlebody, and intake as well. Oil like this will mess up the sensors downstream. Over-oiling a K&N can do this too.

12200 miles on the bike if you are wondering.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fluid Gas Automotive wheel system

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Tread

White Fluid Organism Liquid Water

Reactions: 38110

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have, but not used green before, only blue for parts that could vibrate off on our bikes, and red for steel to steel parts.

I will secure those butterfly screws.

·
Read Only
151 Posts
I know using a catch can or any other form of breather has been talked about here a lot, so yesterday I was tinkering with my airbox to verify there is a K&N Filter inside (yes, verified). Will be replacing the fuel filter in the tank too. In the process of removing the airbox, I see the below pictures inside the throttle body. YIKES!!! The “T” hose from “Roonies” Parts Diagram (#6) has the lower hose just hanging over the airbox coupling (#11) that doesn’t even filter the oil vapors, and they go directly into the throttle body. I will not be reinstalling those breather lines (#7) back to the airbox. I’ll be plugging the breather line holes in the airbox, and like so many others here, routing longer breather hoses to either the bottom of the engine, or to a catch can. Something you might think about the next time you clean or replace your air filter. Maybe even before???

Replaced the stock spark plug wires while I had the tank lifted for this, and man, those stock wires make Calista Flockart look like she could be on the next episode of My 600 lbs. Life!!!

This makes me want to clean the throttlebody, and intake as well. Oil like this will mess up the sensors downstream. Over-oiling a K&N can do this too.

12200 miles on the bike if you are wondering.

View attachment 249281

View attachment 249282

View attachment 249283
Now I've got you and ytman corrupting Roonies Cycle parts name. Ronnie will never forgive me. I think I should take a look inside the airbox while I have the tank off.

·
the older I get.the faster I was
1,627 Posts
I have, but not used green before, only blue for parts that could vibrate off on our bikes, and red for steel to steel parts.

I will secure those butterfly screws.
Don't force the screws, they have been known to crack the throttle shaft.
Also the screws have been known to vibrate out, you can imagine the result.:(
Use a toothpick to get the Green locktight around the scews.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't force the screws, they have been known to crack the throttle shaft.
Also the screws have been known to vibrate out, you can imagine the result.:(
Use a toothpick to get the Green locktight around the scews.
Thanks! I also have a used complete throttle body and intake assembly with all the bolt-ons, that I'll be practicing with.

EDIT
LOCTITE® Green Threadlocker

LOCTITE® Green Threadlocker is recommended for locking preassembled fasteners, e.g. electrical connectors and set screws. The product is categorized as medium-to-high-strength for wicking. It is also available in a liquid form, cures in 24 hours and can be removed with heat and hand tools.

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
Do Not, I repeat Do Not remove those butterfly screws in the throttle body. There is evidence that they have been staked from the factory, and taking them out can weaken the assembly. Just check 'em for tightness (do not use too much effort) and others have said use the green "wicking" loctite sparingly. Just my 2 centavos.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some added pictures from the Factory Service Manual showing that oil vent hose and vent hose routing.

Train Bicycle part Font Fashion accessory Auto part

This is the fitting that comes from the charcoal cannister to the throttlebody (Induction Module) that will need to be plugged off when removing the charcoal cannister on CA Emission Vehicels. Other countries have a HUGE License Plate, but we get emissions and currently $5.00/gal for gasolinie in California. The price we pay to be able to ride year round.

Automotive lighting Font Auto part Automotive wheel system Bicycle part

Font Parallel Auto part Drawing Diagram

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
Blue used here many years ago as a precaution. Never a problem. Also used blue threadlocker on the oil filter mounting boss, no issue there either unlike some poor sods that have had the whole assembly go AWOL in flight.

J.
I used red on the Oil filter nipple.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

I installed a frame mounted catch can, that is breathable, meaning it has a filter at the top. There should only be oily steamed water in this chamber, unless the oil tank has been overfilled., then you will have oil on there. This is so NOT California Emission COMPLIANCE, but who gives a flying Sh*t. This works for me using the Sato Frame Slider and this should never be called “Crash Guard”.

Gas Engineering Machine tool Machine Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Reactions: geno and raven

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@skidmarc
Thanks it really wasn't all that difficult to install, just had to think about hose routing and keeping them away from the cylinder head and front header. To those that see something like I did after posting the pictures, I have gone back and tightened the bolt on the Sato Frame Slider. :whistle:

Edit:
That ring on the lower cross-frame bolt hole is finally gone. I have found some riders believe in putting a bell there for good luck, or a guardian or something like that. Mine never came with a bell, but that hole and the one next to it will be filled with a bolt to the belly pan I plan on installing. Here you go, and it has nothing to do with bell Santa Claus rings for the Salvation Army during Christmas.
Why Motorcycles Have Bells: The History & The Legends | Motorcycle Habit

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another reason to run a breather/catch can. Just look at this set of heads on ebay. Not saying this happens to all running the stock breather system, but the oily vapors from the breathers, goes right back into the throttle body, and into the cylinders.

Fluid Gas Audio equipment Auto part Metal

Reactions: raven
1 - 15 of 15 Posts