XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay after a long day of Gymhkana I hop on my XR1200 and head in to work. As I pull into the parking lot I hear a funny sound coming from my bike. I pull into the "motorcycles only" parking and park...there it is again. I set there idling and wait...nothing. I shut the bike down and start it back up....nothing...I wiggle the bars back and forth......nothing. I turn the bike off and go into work.
I get off of work @ 11am, go out the gate, crank the bike and let it idle. After about 1 miniute I hear the sound. Its the starter tring to engage. I am not pressing the button :) I am not even on the bike. I let it idle some more but it does not do it. I shut off the bike and start it back up. Everything is fine. I tap on the starter button housing think that maybe the switch is getting flacky.....nothing. I ride home okay and let it idle at the house.....nothing.
I am thinking it could be one of 3 things.
1. A flaky start button.
2. Bad starter relay. (Contacts flaky?)
3. A short to hot in the wiring harness

It is a 2010 XR1200.

I remember someone saying NAPA has the relays cheeper than H-D. (No surprise there) Dose anyone have the NAPA part number?

Anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?

·
Administrator
8,364 Posts
Okay after a long day of Gymhkana I hop on my XR1200 and head in to work. As I pull into the parking lot I hear a funny sound coming from my bike. I pull into the "motorcycles only" parking and park...there it is again. I set there idling and wait...nothing. I shut the bike down and start it back up....nothing...I wiggle the bars back and forth......nothing. I turn the bike off and go into work.
I get off of work @ 11am, go out the gate, crank the bike and let it idle. After about 1 miniute I hear the sound. Its the starter tring to engage. I am not pressing the button :) I am not even on the bike. I let it idle some more but it does not do it. I shut off the bike and start it back up. Everything is fine. I tap on the starter button housing think that maybe the switch is getting flacky.....nothing. I ride home okay and let it idle at the house.....nothing.
I am thinking it could be one of 3 things.
1. A flaky start button.
2. Bad starter relay. (Contacts flaky?)
3. A short to hot in the wiring harness

It is a 2010 XR1200.

I remember someone saying NAPA has the relays cheeper than H-D. (No surprise there) Dose anyone have the NAPA part number?

Anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?
Napa Echlin AR614 should be around $9.00
Sorry can't help with the troubleshooting
Regards
Roy

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Roy, headed to NAPA NOW!

Tal, nope wiggling the bars don't do it. Its random. :(

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Springer, it sounds like there is a wire for the starter button grounding out. Have you replaced the bars on the bike? If you did you may have pinched a wire in the housing

G

·
I think it would be rare for a relay to act like this, they are just a switch that needs power to make the switch work, I would be looking at the starter switch first.

G

·
should be low current to the relay JoeP, this flips the switch in the relay for the higher current to the solenoid, the solenoid is just a big relay,the switch for your very high current needed to turn the engine over. but I think your right about the short somewhere, my guess is the low current side, the starter button/switch.

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did what we in the eletricial field call "shot gunning". :) Went to NAPA and got 2 relays @ $7.89 + tax. Then stopped by Lowes and got some electronic cleaner (its safe on plastics). Then when I got home I took the switch housing apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner while operating the switch back and forth. Then replaced the relay. Then spent the last 2 hours letting the bike idle and riding around the hood slowly with a open face helemt. (So I can hear better). So far so good. It has not done it again so far, so its good. :)
I did not look for a shorted wire because most of the time,(most, not all the time but most. :) ) a wire shorts to ground. If the wire going from the switch to the relay had grounded it would blow a fuse when the switch was operated. Same thing if the hot wire going to the switch was grounded.
Now if the wire going from the switch had rubbed into a 12VDC wire then the starter could have been pulled in but since I have not changed bars or did anything so far :) to that part of the wiring harness I moved the possability of a short to hot down on the list.
When I pulled the old relay out I shooked it close to my ear. It sounded like something was loose. I opened the relay with my pocket knife and when the cover came off something fell out. It bounce off somewhere when it hit the concrete. (I really need to sweep that carport or do this sh*t over a table with a towel) Looking at the relay I could not see anything broke or missing but the relay is small and my eye sight an't what it use to be. :) Plus I had 2 spares so in went 1. The other went in the tail bag.

I will let y'all know if it starts acting up again.

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW thanks for the help everybody! This is a GREAT FORUM!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem with a Honda once.water seeped into the starter switch and over a period of time It mixed with the grease on the switching gear,it turned into a brown lump of goo and shorted out onto the handle bars and the starter motor kept kicking in.anyway I hope u get the problem sorted out

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well its back.........crap.

Put a new PR2 on the back, grabbed my lid, hopped on the bike, put the key in, turned the key, pushed the stop/run button to run, and it cranked up.

So what's the problem? It started with out me pushing the start button. :censored: and the starter comes on while the bikes running. :censored: I turn to stop/run button to stop and it stops. Turn it to run and it cranks.
I had this problem a month ago and I replaced the start relay and it stopped doing it. Not now. Swapped out the relay for a new one and it will still do it. Did some more checking. The wire from the start button has shorted to a hot wire. Been going through the wiring harness. Everything from the switch down to under the tank is fine. Its under the gastank some where.
So now I will be disconnecting the gas tank and diving into that rats nest of wires. Oh joy oh joy. Its going to be like going to the dentist for a root canal. :001_9898:

What happened to the days when a Harley's biggest problem was it would not crank? :nana:

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Well its back.........crap.

Put a new PR2 on the back, grabbed my lid, hopped on the bike, put the key in, turned the key, pushed the stop/run button to run, and it cranked up.

So what's the problem? It started with out me pushing the start button. :censored: and the starter comes on while the bikes running. :censored: I turn to stop/run button to stop and it stops. Turn it to run and it cranks.
I had this problem a month ago and I replaced the start relay and it stopped doing it. Not now. Swapped out the relay for a new one and it will still do it. Did some more checking. The wire from the start button has shorted to a hot wire. Been going through the wiring harness. Everything from the switch down to under the tank is fine. Its under the gastank some where.
So now I will be disconnecting the gas tank and diving into that rats nest of wires. Oh joy oh joy. Its going to be like going to the dentist for a root canal. :001_9898:

What happened to the days when a Harley's biggest problem was it would not crank? :nana:
Wow.....there's a bunch of wires in that plastic tunnel under the tank ..... Yeow......

·
Necessity is the Mother of INVENTION,,,,Fear is re
6,669 Posts
Fortunately there all color coded. Here is a thought disconnect the current wires to starter, run a jumper from the switch or last known good connection and see if it does it before you open a can of worms. It may not be the wires at all it could be the starter or some other item in the link

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Think I have it nailed down to the right handle bar wiring harness. Took the gastank off so I could get to the connector to the main wiring harness. Unhooked the connector and hooked up a ohm meter to the return from the start pushbutton to the relay. (black with red stripe) Then connected the other probe to the hot that goes up to the switch. Put the Run/stop switch to run and sqeezed the cable starting at the connector. Where the cable is wire tied to the bars (stock bars, its the wire tie that clips into the bars) the meter went to 0 ohms. Put the main fuse back in, plugged the connector back up, and sqeezed the cable in the same place. The starter tried to engage.
Tommarrow I will spilt the cover on the cable and see what I see.

·
Endeavor to Persevere!
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow.....there's a bunch of wires in that plastic tunnel under the tank ..... Yeow......
Oh yea, 10# of shit in a 5# bag. :)
Fortunately there all color coded. Here is a thought disconnect the current wires to starter, run a jumper from the switch or last known good connection and see if it does it before you open a can of worms. It may not be the wires at all it could be the starter or some other item in the link
Yep, I was hoping it was not the starter. That's why I unhooked the connector and checked the handlebar harness first. That breaks the curcuit and gives you a direction to go in. Up to the switch or down to the relay and starter.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts