XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hale from Solon, OH, just outside Cleveland. Got a few other ponies in the garage (KTM 990 Adventure, Triumph Scrambler 900, Honda CRF450x, Ducati MH900e), but always loved the XR750 and can't wait to bring home the new XR1200. I'm thinking a stock black (the fast ones), then buy spare orange tank cover and solo tailpiece (painted orange) to swap out when in the mood for the true XR750 look. Other dream bike: Chain of Mystery built by Indian Larry - truly a work of art. And last but not least, as I keep telling Santa, all I want for Christmas is an Evil Knieval pin ball machine. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, congrats with the new bike. :clap:

You can just leave the black stuff at the dealers en just throw on the orange bits ;-) lol:innocent:

It a little faster that way:D:D:D

Greetz Stef

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Cybrdyke

Mark- Welcome to your forum & congrats on the new rig! where'd you get it? Southeast?
Hi Cybrdyke, I like the folks at Southeast a lot, but I've been working with a salesman at Western Reserve up in Mentor. He goes by the name "Evil", which I have to think is a good sign. It'll be the first H-D for me (and being a 46 yr. old boy from Wisconsin, you might say it took me long enough). If memory serves, you just a few minutes up the road from me (Chagrin Falls, right?). Hope we can catch up....

·
Scooter Trash
194 Posts
Welcome aboard Markmc. Just picked up my XR on Thursday and scheduled my 600 mile service for next week. While it's not my first Harley, it is the only Harley I would own. Whereabouts in Wisconsin are you from?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard Markmc. Just picked up my XR on Thursday and scheduled my 600 mile service for next week. While it's not my first Harley, it is the only Harley I would own. Whereabouts in Wisconsin are you from?
Hi WildWilly, grew up about a half hour north of Milwaukee, til a job brought me to the Cleveland area ~2000.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please let us know how the XR compares to your KTM twin. I'm a big fan of KTM bikes and considered a 990 when I got the XR. I know they're completely different bikes, but I'm just curious how the powerbands compare.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please let us know how the XR compares to your KTM twin. I'm a big fan of KTM bikes and considered a 990 when I got the XR. I know they're completely different bikes, but I'm just curious how the powerbands compare.
That's a good question, Fast Eddie, that actually hit me a couple of weeks ago when I rode the KTM 990 to the HD dealership to test ride the XR1200. Riding them back-to-back really highlighted the differences. First, let me say this - the bike the XR1200 really reminds me of powerband-wise is the one I sold to buy an XR1200, a 2003 Honda VFR800 Interceptor. More top end on the Interceptor, but otherwise very similar in HP/torque performance with more comfortable ergos on the XR1200.

As for the KTM, first a disclaimer - until I moved to Ohio, I always thought they were ... you know, funny looking. I spent many years on a KLR650 and eventually got tired of having to go downhill to break 75 mph. Love the bike, just wanted more "ooompa". Off-roading in Colorado was/is my favorite thing. The BMW GS was too big and let's face it, way too expensive to drop. Then I stumbled onto a non-current 990 Adventure at a great price. Bought it, and I gotta tell you, it's the best bike I've ever owned. Quality through-out. No ugly stem bolts to hide. Brings actual performance to the big adventure bike, not just an illusion of it. How can you argue with a company mantra of "Ready to race." But, it can be a bit like dating the hottest gal in school - she can be a bit tempermental. It is abrupt in the throttle. Small throttle movements yield big results. Ya just gotta understand be smooth with the right hand, or forego all that and try to tune it out via a G2.

One criticism of the KTM 990 is the seat. All's relative, I guess. Compared to my buddy's BMW GS, yeah, it's feels stiff. But compared to the XR1200, the KTM 990 feels practically plush.

Another criticism of the KTM 990 is the complexity of basic maintenance. To change the oil requires removing the left side gas tank. A 2 to 3 hour job. Good grief!

Suspension on the KTM 990 is light years ahead of the XR1200, and I would say the most dramatic negative I felt in riding the two one after another. Proved out what I've read here - buy the XR1200 today, and the aftermarket shocks tomorrow.

The KTM sounds nice, but I'll tell you, one thing I really liked more about the XR1200 was the exhaust growl (even in stock form). The torque also adds a lot.

And then there's that thing the KTM 900 has some of, but the XR1200 just oozes - MOJO!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark
Thanks, man. That's great info. My wife and I are big blues fans and I know exactly what mojo is. In fact, I've told her several times, the XR has a lot of mojo.
I'll hop on one next time KTM has a demo in the area.
I agree with your comments on the XR. After riding my 690 and 450EXC, the XR suspension needs major help. Also, given my riding background, low and heavy felt weird at first. But, the more I ride the XR, the better I like it. I do a lot of 40 to 60 mile loops on local twisty roads and the torque and handling just work. On those roads, my biggest complaint besides suspension is the clunky shifting. It has improved a lot with break in miles, but it's still way different from the smooth gearbox and hydraulic clutch on the KTMs.
Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.