XR1200 Owners Group banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Yes, that Daytona Race on YouTube is what sold me on the XR.

I think the AMA Race Kit only came with the belt and pulley change, not the primary change too.

· the older I get.the faster I was
1,810 Posts
I have a 30 tooth and it works well for me.
At 4000rpm =75mph stock will now be 80mph. ( faster you go the greater the error)
Speedometer will still read 75mph.
Also you will have to clearance the pully cover.
After I got the pully installed I used a marker on the inside of the cover and loosely put the cover back on.
Spun the back wheel a few times and removed the cover.
The belt will rub off the marker and show you were to remove material.
A 30 tooth with a 66 tooth rear is about the same as the Scotty Mod.
Hope this helps.
Raven

· Registered
549 Posts
Anyone done the Scotty mod AND the 30/66 tooth gearing?
I nearly did!

I fitted the Vance and Hines 30/66 pulleys, it uses the standard belt and the rear wheel stays in almost the stock position. Only negative is the speedo reads slightly slow, but it can be corrected with the SEPST

This mod is almost exactly the equivalent of the scotty mod, about 11% difference.

My intention was to then fit the scotty mod just for the experience on the track. This would add another 11% and with my 190/55 rear tyre I would be at around 23% taller gearing than stock, totally ridiculous for the road especially with only 90rwhp

70mph cruising is 4000rpm stock, 3500rpm with either the scotty mod or the 30/66 pulleys and it would be at 3000rpm with both. That doesn't look bad on paper but it is a huge difference on the road.

With the benefit of draughting speeds of 155mph were recorded at Daytona with the combination gearing, it was an absolute necessity to avoid all the bikes being on the rev limiter. I too love to watch the videos, it must have been a hoot.

Time has moved on and I retired from Top Speed Racing and sold my bike but I would still like to give it a go on the XR, I reckon with a favourable tail wind and a good tuck 140mph would be possible in the mile. It's all hypothetical until someone tries it but its interesting to talk about.

It's sometimes strange comparing stock gearing and the scotty mod because as we know certain markets got the scotty mod as standard and that's how we get the parts, I always wondered why and who decided there would be a difference. It was suggested it was because the average European and American customer was heavier :unsure:

· Registered
96 Posts
P
I nearly did!

I fitted the Vance and Hines 30/66 pulleys, it uses the standard belt and the rear wheel stays in almost the stock position. Only negative is the speedo reads slightly slow, but it can be corrected with the SEPST

This mod is almost exactly the equivalent of the scotty mod, about 11% difference.

My intention was to then fit the scotty mod just for the experience on the track. This would add another 11% and with my 190/55 rear tyre I would be at around 23% taller gearing than stock, totally ridiculous for the road especially with only 90rwhp

70mph cruising is 4000rpm stock, 3500rpm with either the scotty mod or the 30/66 pulleys and it would be at 3000rpm with both. That doesn't look bad on paper but it is a huge difference on the road.

With the benefit of draughting speeds of 155mph were recorded at Daytona with the combination gearing, it was an absolute necessity to avoid all the bikes being on the rev limiter. I too love to watch the videos, it must have been a hoot.

Time has moved on and I retired from Top Speed Racing and sold my bike but I would still like to give it a go on the XR, I reckon with a favourable tail wind and a good tuck 140mph would be possible in the mile. It's all hypothetical until someone tries it but its interesting to talk about.

It's sometimes strange comparing stock gearing and the scotty mod because as we know certain markets got the scotty mod as standard and that's how we get the parts, I always wondered why and who decided there would be a difference. It was suggested it was because the average European and American customer was heavier :unsure:
In norway highwayspeed is 110 kms... so do you think our 90 horses would pull our xrs at 3000 rpms?

Imagine cruising 3000 rpms down the map to warmer areas....😁😄

1,810 Posts
Here the speed limit is 100kph, everyone runs 120kph plus.
My XR dynos at about 88hp at the rear wheel.
The sweet spot is at 4000rpm.
With the 30 tooth that is about 130kph.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I would think if you did the Scotty mod and the pulley changes, it would make first gear pretty much like starting off in second gear with everything stock.

1,810 Posts
I think someone here tried it a long time ago and had clutch problems.
On a side note a XL Sportsters have the 38 tooth primary ( Scotty Mod)
29 tooth front pully( US) or 30 tooth (world)
and all have the 68 tooth rear pully including XR's
But they have a different clutch and rev lower.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts