XR1200 Owners Group banner
81 - 100 of 112 Posts

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
I've never had a Scotty/non-Scotty on the same bike, so I can only compare apples to oranges.

I cruised my non-Scotty at 55mph ONCE. I was riding with my when when she first got her license. Any way, I got 52.5 mpg. This is on a bike that averages 37.2 mpg. My Scotty mod gets an average of 41.4 mpg with a best of 45.4 mpg. But none of those numbers were done at 55 mph.

Wife says I go 55 mph twice a day. Once on the way up to normal cruising speed. And then again on the way back down.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
I've never had a Scotty/non-Scotty on the same bike, so I can only compare apples to oranges.

I cruised my non-Scotty at 55mph ONCE. I was riding with my when when she first got her license. Any way, I got 52.5 mpg. This is on a bike that averages 37.2 mpg. My Scotty mod gets an average of 41.4 mpg with a best of 45.4 mpg. But none of those numbers were done at 55 mph.

Wife says I go 55 mph twice a day. Once on the way up to normal cruising speed. And then again on the way back down.

Reactions: CoreyDSFA

· used ta could
2,428 Posts
I was trying to avoid commuting too much on my XR ‘cause it kind of cheapens her a bit. Like seeing a yellow Ferrari stuck behind a big pink plumbing box truck on the freeway. Unfortunately my normal commuter bike recently started saying, after 145,000 miles(in her Danny Glover voice),” I’m too ode fa dis shit” and 50 miles each way at 4500 rpms+-on 100% freeway(give or take a couple miles of dirt road) seemed almost like punishment for the XR.
Yesterday I changed primary gears. Wow. While I’m not currently commuting,today I ran the same route I was taking before and the change was monumental. She’s in her sweet spot and where before, when things got above 75 mph, I started thinking about getting out of the fast lane. Now 80 mph is waaaaay more comfy.
Another plus that isn’t talked about much is the level of exhaust noise. I have V&H pipes and where, before, there were times when I felt we were being annoying. Sometimes when you’re going down a slight incline and you have to back out of it a little to hold your speed the resonance has a loud feel at that rpm. The lower revs with the new primaries have taken that away.
I did find myself speeding more so I’ll have to work on that...Great mod

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I know I'm (very!) late to the party, but does anyone know of a non-exorbitantly-priced source for these parts? (I'm near Boston, MA)
These parts are still available new from H-D.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
All of the parts to do this "Mod" are still available from H-D. For those that don't know, it's good practice to replace the fasteners/hardware. If the new hardware doesn't have thread locking agent on them, then add some Blue Threadlock to keep them from vibrating loose. These parts are in my posession, and it is on my list to give it a try, because "I gots-ta know."

Look the parts up with pricing and availability here:

Genuine Harley-Davidson OEM Service Parts | Harley-Davidson USA

Product Font Auto part Motor vehicle Engineering

From the first post here, you will need the following:
#22 (Japan Brazil)
#29 (Japan/Brazil)

Jaw Organism Slope Font Auto part

#4 Drain Plug O-Ring
#6 Square O-Ring
#9 Primary Cover Gasket (Don't go cheap and reuse the old one, or it will leak)

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
While the bike was down recently, doing a bar change(upgrade to me), I performed this "mod". Not too difficult to perform if you have the right tools, and I also replaced the stock clutch with the Screamin' Eagle, because I was in there already. My take on this is anyone that performs this should notice what everyone else has stated:
1. First gear is a little stretched out from a stop, but it is a difference from stock
2. Cruising RPM's drop to 4000 at 80 mph
I wouldn't perform this change with the sole purpose of longer fuel range, but theoretically extended mileage should happen. The XR loves to be at or around 30000-4000, so cruising it at any lower is a crime. Ride with other XR Owners and everyone will stop at the same time for gas(given everyone started with a full tank). :ROFLMAO: Bottom line is if you don't like it, you can go back to stock at the price of a quart of primary fluid, primary cover gasket, and a derby cover o-ring.

Oh, and I do like this change, as some do, and some don't. My goal was not to be able to go faster, or get better range, but just a cruising rpm option that did not result in dropping it too much, and render first gear almost useless.

Reactions: Houseyhousey

· Registered
841 Posts
There is the alternative, which falls somewhere in between stock & Scotty mod, and that is to change the final drive engine sprocket from 28 to 30 teeth, as a previous owner done on mine :)
You need to dremel away some of the webs inside the sprocket cover though, as the previous owner didn't, or else you wear a bevel on the drive belt :rolleyes:

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I searched long for the amount of teeth on the clutch basket, and couldn't find it listed here, but I did find listed the stock primary drive and primarary drive ratio, so I figured it out to be 57 teeth.
The Stock Primary Drive Ratio is 1.6764 (34/57)
The Scotty Mod Primary Drive Ratiot1 is 1.50 (38/57)
If wrong, I can be corrected.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
That's for the guys who don't have the "Scotty Mod" and are always looking for another gear.😇
That is what I meant to imply. Still makes me giggle.

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Was that picture from a Member here?

· Premium Member
1,923 Posts
about 4 weeks riding with this Mod, and I'm still digging it. Gotta work on my stop-light drag starts, by increasing the rpm's before I slip the clutch out, when the light turns green. Goal is to have the front wheel just barely off the ground, through the intersection, before grabbing 2nd. I find myself riding the same way I did before, but realizing I am at 90 mph, rather than 80 mph on the freeway, so I am reteaching myself to cruise at 4000 rpm in 5th, not 4500 rpm. Fun Factor is still high with the bike!

81 - 100 of 112 Posts