XR1200 Owners Group banner
61 - 80 of 112 Posts

· WTF???
15,969 Posts
Guys I'll put this in my to do list when the winter approaches,
I'm a super noob when it comes to technical info,

Considering many of done it, I don't think there will be a cons to it ,so what are the pros in doing this mod compared to the stock?
Some people like it. Some don't. I have one of each. If I only had one XR, I would probably have stock gearing. The Scotty mod makes the bike a lot more refined and civilized. I didn't really get my XR to be refined and civilized.

· Bout a Dollar 3.98
782 Posts
Very Few people like it. Most don't. I have one of each. If I only had one XR, I would probably have stock gearing, or even a tooth down in the front or a couple or so up on the back , especially for acting like a holligan on city streets and back country tight twisties . The Scotty mod makes the bike a lot more refined and civilized. I didn't really get my XR to be refined and civilized.

Fixed for ya MD ...:cool:

· WTF???
15,969 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
I completely understand that you gain rpm by doing this mod going to 38T
Would I be losing any of the quick throttle response or the torque of this bike by going to a 38T

Any specs on torque ratio on a 38T when in comparison with Stock gear

· Whistling Dixie!
8,074 Posts
I completely understand that you gain rpm by doing this mod going to 38T
Would I be losing any of the quick throttle response or the torque of this bike by going to a 38T

Any specs on torque ratio on a 38T when in comparison with Stock gear
You do not gain RPM. That is set with the ECM.

The Scotty mod would lessen the torque and throttle response yes.

· Registered
876 Posts
Surely once you're up to any speed over, say, 30mph, it's about how long you hang on to a gear? I live 30 miles from the nearest traffic light so acceleration off the line is immaterial. Torque and throttle response is about which gear you choose to be in once you're rolling.

Or (quite possible....) am I missing something?

· Whistling Dixie!
8,074 Posts
Surely once you're up to any speed over, say, 30mph, it's about how long you hang on to a gear? I live 30 miles from the nearest traffic light so acceleration off the line is immaterial. Torque and throttle response is about which gear you choose to be in once you're rolling.

We're comparing apples to apples here. All things being equal a stock geared XR to one Scotty moded accelerates faster. Both bikes side by side in the same gear accelerating at the same time the stock gearing will pull ahead just a bit. Maybe at the peak torque range the Scotty moded one would accelerate a bit faster but I still doubt it. Gear a 5 horsepower Briggs right and you could pull a house down with it. Might take a long time but it would come down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

· Braap!
2009 XR1200
350 Posts
Good points above...

If it helps anyone: I bought my XR with the Scotty-Mod gearing already in place. It's all I've known on this bike. The gearing feels just like the stock gearing I'd expect to find on any new street going motorcycle.

I've re-geared dirt and street bikes lower in the past - My tastes have changed and I am very happy with the Scotty gearing. I actually have a hard time picturing some of the XR's gears to be any shorter, especially seeing as it's only a 5-speed. It would be fun, I am sure...

· Registered
174 Posts
You do not gain RPM. That is set with the ECM.
The Scotty mod would lessen the torque and throttle response yes.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

This is where it kinda threw me off
when I look at the stock Vs Scotty mod at different rpm and at different gearing, his output as always been higher..I own a softail and I sure do like the cruising nature of it, one of the primary reasons I ended up getting a XR was to stay in HD family and also have a quicker throttle response bike..

I'm all in for the mod if the torque doesn't drop a lot, so I was wondering if someone has posted like this kinda comparison between stock Vs scotty mod for torque sheet in different gearing

· Registered
174 Posts
Some people like it. Some don't. I have one of each. If I only had one XR, I would probably have stock gearing. The Scotty mod makes the bike a lot more refined and civilized. I didn't really get my XR to be refined and civilized.
LOL I loved your explanation..Guess i'm in the lot of uncivilized and i'm lovin it :D

· Registered
5,189 Posts
And about gearing. Maybe you have forgotten, or maybe you just don't know. Our bikes, the XR, is geared the same as the 883 Sportster. It (the 883) has less power therefore needs the higher gear. A stock 883 'could' really struggle going uphill with 2 up if it had the taller gears. So putting 883 gears in our more powerful 1200 XR's gives it more 1/4 mile performance. The 1200 XL Sportster has the taller 'Scotty Mod' from the factory, because the bigger motor can pull the taller gears. Just thought I'd through that in there.

· WTF???
15,969 Posts

In the same gear, a taller geared bike is going to accelerate slower. But a Scotty Mod bike may accelerate in 3rd gear like a stock bike in 4th gear.

LOL we saw Collective Soul open for Big head Todd & the Monsters--Great Show!!
I love Collective Soul. Not really sure what a Big Head Todd is.

· Registered
16 Posts
Howdy team!

I'm really looking hard at the Scotty Mod for next season, I plan to do some big trips (3-5K miles at a time) and I do use the interstate to eat big miles at a time (700-1000 miles in a day).

My bike is revving like crazy at 75mph and would like to drop the Revs down by 500 RPM and came across this thread.

My Main goal is to extend my range. What is the average MPG at cruise (55mph) with the Scotty Mod?

I get 40ish MPG right now after the stage 1 upgrade. I plan to loop the O2 sensors back in and run stock in cruising conditions. Goal would be to get 50MPG or 150mile range out of a tank....

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
You will like the taller gearing for riding the interstate.

I'm not sure what was done with your tune, but If your tuning shop set your fuel map completely to open loop mapping, then simply reinstalling O2 sensors won't make any difference in your fueling. What was done during tuning? And why did you pull your sensors?

As for mpg, if i run over 45 mpg personally i think it is too lean for this motor. it will run hot in the summer, and may bog a little when you snap the throttle when you want to accelerate quickly. imho

PS. And who cruises at 55 mph on an XR? :scooter:

· Premium Member
14,913 Posts
Howdy team!

I'm really looking hard at the Scotty Mod for next season, I plan to do some big trips (3-5K miles at a time) and I do use the interstate to eat big miles at a time (700-1000 miles in a day).

My bike is revving like crazy at 75mph and would like to drop the Revs down by 500 RPM and came across this thread.

My Main goal is to extend my range. What is the average MPG at cruise (55mph) with the Scotty Mod?

I get 40ish MPG right now after the stage 1 upgrade. I plan to loop the O2 sensors back in and run stock in cruising conditions. Goal would be to get 50MPG or 150mile range out of a tank....

Thanks!
I love the Scotty mod for traveling. And once you swap between it and stock gearing a few times
it really can be done, start to finish, in 30-45 minutes.

Here's the deal;

It lowers the revs and makes 80 mph cruising comfortable. Frankly I've never noticed much change in my mileage one way or the other. My mileage is between 38/42 regardless of gearing or speed. 😜

If your XR is a high mileage bike (50k) you may experience some clutch slippage with the Scotty mod.

Good luck.

· Registered
5,189 Posts
As said, kind of, what tuner you using ? I've got the Screaming Eagle tuner, and I get 48 to 49 ish. And when I had the V&H Black Widows on it did run HOT. But i put together my own exhaust and had it retuned a bit, it runs kinda cool now it seems.

· Registered
16 Posts
It's a Dobek EJK setup. It came with the O2 bypass clips that plug into the harness which tells the ECU what it wants to see without throwing a code. I'll swap back to stock, and the controller will let the ECU have free reign in closed loop. It's been some trial and error. I do all my own tuning and by plug chop the bike runs phenomenal now.

Anyway I live 1.5 hours from the nearest interstate, run 30 miles to work (60 miles round-trip) 45-50mph zone to and from. So the bike revs a touch high for the back highway blasts.

I generally always change the gearing in all my bikes right off the bat. The XR is geared perfect for weekend blasting but just geared a touch high for sport touring which is what I intend to use the bike for. Usually it a front sprocket swap on the drive line (chain and sprockets).

This looks to be an easy swap. Never worked on a Harley Primary but if I can do a Front Sprocket on a Japanese bike in 30-45 minutes I could do a Primary swap in the same amount of time...

61 - 80 of 112 Posts