XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Warning! Fat people are harder to kidnap.
1,373 Posts
A week after I bought my XR I bought a stock seat. I sent the seat to Saddleman and had a gel insert installed. Much more comfortable. Just remember it is a thin seat and gel will only do so much but is an improvement for sure. :D Later,

G

·
A week after I bought my XR I bought a stock seat. I sent the seat to Saddleman and had a gel insert installed. Much more comfortable. Just remember it is a thin seat and gel will only do so much but is an improvement for sure. :D Later,
Based on the Fat Billy seal of approval, I sent my seat and pillion pad out to Saddlemen too.

The seat comes back looking stock but for me it's good for a couple hundred comfortable miles in a day. Total cost for both pieces was less than that of the single Storz saddle, and externally they look stock.

G

·
After having the bike now for quite while, the thing that bothers me most is the material of the seat rather than it's comfort (you get used to it very fast).

It just does not pair with leather motorcycle pants...it's like beeing glued on...so no slight "ass-movement" in corners..you have to force it. I didn't have this problem on all the jap bikes I testrode. Does anybody share this experience?

Is the Storz version of different material?

·
1,373 Posts
Vaseline, Chaps, Same differance aren't they? :eek: Later,

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
After having the bike now for quite while, the thing that bothers me most is the material of the seat rather than it's comfort (you get used to it very fast).

It just does not pair with leather motorcycle pants...it's like beeing glued on...so no slight "ass-movement" in corners..you have to force it. I didn't have this problem on all the jap bikes I testrode. Does anybody share this experience?
In the old days, on slower bikes, I used to ArmorAll all of my seats (dirt and street). I liked to move around a lot on the bike. I don't know if I could stay on the XR during the 3500-6500 rpm hit with an ArmorAll'd seat now. But it would allow some movement. (Legal clause: Don't try this at home kids, consult a Professional ArmorAll Factory Rider before attempting any of the stunts described above!!!)

P.S. My Kawasaki Concours seat was looking a little ragged so I ArmorAll'd it. My wife bitched the entire time that we were in the twisties because she was sliding all over the place.

G

·
In the old days, on slower bikes, I used to ArmorAll all of my seats (dirt and street). I liked to move around a lot on the bike. I don't know if I could stay on the XR during the 3500-6500 rpm hit with an ArmorAll'd seat now. But it would allow some movement. (Legal clause: Don't try this at home kids, consult a Professional ArmorAll Factory Rider before attempting any of the stunts described above!!!)

P.S. My Kawasaki Concours seat was looking a little ragged so I ArmorAll'd it. My wife bitched the entire time that we were in the twisties because she was sliding all over the place.
lol

maybe I give that a try :D

G

·
I'm thinkin about one of those Saddlemen seats every time I throw a leg over my bike, yep this stock seat is reckin my ass! I love how the seat cover sticks to my pants also, yet I'm still slidin around in the pants, feels like I've put my "Boys" in a vise at times...
I think I'm goin to ride the old Ironhead for a while until my butt feels better.

G

·
is it of different material than the oem one? my biggest complaint about the seat is that my leathers stick to it and that's plain crap if you want to shift your ass for weight distribution...
another point where the harley guys screwed up...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one of the new Storz seats. Very nice. Fiberglass seat pan. No plastic tabs to retain front. Storz uses a velcro front attachment with metal bracket on rear seat retainers. That seat feels "locked in". No movement at all once you get it seated. Material and workmanship from Saddlemen company are first rate. You cannot order this directly from Saddlemen but have to go through Storz. Jim at Storz was very helpful with all my questions on this purchase.
I cannot tell you how leather pants feel on it, but it is much more comfortable than the stock seat. It was a great upgrade for $225 USD. :scooter:

·
1,373 Posts
Ordered mine yeasterday. Should have it by the week end. I'm hoping for more comfort than the jell inserts I have already had installed. Stay tuned for report. Seats seem to be selling well for Stortz, I got the last one of the second batch. :D Later,

·
WTF???
15,967 Posts
Ordered mine yeasterday. Should have it by the week end. I'm hoping for more comfort than the jell inserts I have already had installed. Stay tuned for report. Seats seem to be selling well for Stortz, I got the last one of the second batch. :D Later,
Ride report after you get it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.