XR1200 Owners Group banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· My hovercraft is full of eels
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short version. Purchased in about 2002. “Ran when parked.” Carbs were drained. BMW R90/6 sitting inside since 2000. A full tank of stabilized fuel has evaporated out and left this. I assume it’s varnish and surface rust. Doesn’t look too crusty. Ideas and chastisement welcome.

Attachments

· Registered
2011 XR1200x
88 Posts
Try pouring in some white vinegar, let it sit for awhile, shake it up, pour it out, and see what happens.
Regards
Roy
Great Idea! Unless you have a ultrasonic cleaner big enough for a gas tank. You could also check into some highly corrosive carburetor cleaner sold through professional car parts stores. You might want to disassemble the fuel petcocks as well. Please be aware if it is a BMW motorcycle there might be a left hand thread in the assembly. I learned this one the hard $$$ way. Look into to this. Next time you put away your bike for storage put the stabilizer in, run the bike then drain the tank and carburetors. The residue from the stabilizer protects everything. Good luck 😉

· Registered
100 Posts
Same thing just happened to my tank on my 02 GSXR limited edition. I have tried cleaning a tank out before and it works well but once rust starts it will continue. So I just took my tank to a guy who specializes in tank cleaning and coating. For $300 he will clean the tank and then coat it with clear epoxy so it will look factory but never corrode ever again. Found him on the internet and had to drive 2 hours but believe it’s worth it. You may want to search your area to see if you find something similar. I saw one you mail in your tank but it was $500 and they coat it with a grey epoxy.

· Registered
123 Posts
I had an R100RS in a warm climate, ridden year round, and eventually the tank rusted through. Fortunately it was in the era when replacement tanks were inexpensive and easy to find (pre-Internet).

My recollection is the interior of the tank is painted (coated?) orange, but I would see no harm in trying the vinegar and seeing what comes out.

· Registered
2011 XR1200x
88 Posts
Same thing just happened to my tank on my 02 GSXR limited edition. I have tried cleaning a tank out before and it works well but once rust starts it will continue. So I just took my tank to a guy who specializes in tank cleaning and coating. For $300 he will clean the tank and then coat it with clear epoxy so it will look factory but never corrode ever again. Found him on the internet and had to drive 2 hours but believe it’s worth it. You may want to search your area to see if you find something similar. I saw one you mail in your tank but it was $500 and they coat it with a grey epoxy.
Hello,
The BMW and Harley Davidson motorcycles are the only ones to my knowledge that paint the inside of their gas tanks. I got lazy one year and didn't drain the gas from my Moto Guzzi and BMW for winter storage. Yuk, what a mess. Lesson learned.

1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Idea! Unless you have a ultrasonic cleaner big enough for a gas tank. You could also check into some highly corrosive carburetor cleaner sold through professional car parts stores. You might want to disassemble the fuel petcocks as well. Please be aware if it is a BMW motorcycle there might be a left hand thread in the assembly. I learned this one the hard $$$ way. Look into to this. Next time you put away your bike for storage put the stabilizer in, run the bike then drain the tank and carburetors. The residue from the stabilizer protects everything. Good luck 😉
Yeah the PO did that, but didn't drain the tank as he hadn't planned to have it in storage so long (neither did I, but kids/life/job happens). Hopefully the carbs are easily rebuildable. It looks like a nice, well-treated, running bike. But obviously the tank is a problem, and the brake lever comes all the way to the bar so I need to rebuild that as well. Plus I'm sure all the engine seals are shot so it'll leak like a, well, an old harley once I get it running LOL

1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an R100RS in a warm climate, ridden year round, and eventually the tank rusted through. Fortunately it was in the era when replacement tanks were inexpensive and easy to find (pre-Internet).

My recollection is the interior of the tank is painted (coated?) orange, but I would see no harm in trying the vinegar and seeing what comes out.
I assume once you get whatever results you're going to get with the vinegar you wash it super well with soap and water to get the acidic vinegar out, right?

· Registered
123 Posts
I assume once you get whatever results you're going to get with the vinegar you wash it super well with soap and water to get the acidic vinegar out, right?
In looking at a sister motorcycle forum to this one, the best recommendation seems to be a product called "Metal Rescue". Here is the thread in question (post #8):

· the older I get.the faster I was
1,810 Posts
Just read about restoring a old Honda in the November/ December issue of Motorcycle Classics.
They use something called PB Blaster. It is a non - corrosive de- ruster.
Might be worth a try.

1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just read about restoring a old Honda in the November/ December issue of Motorcycle Classics.
They use something called PB Blaster. It is a non - corrosive de- ruster.
Might be worth a try.
PB blaster is a penetrating oil but they may make other stuff now. I’ll check it out thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts