XR1200 Owners Group banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 1000 mile trip to Dallas this weekend, I noticed a slight gurgle sound at idle, a quick check revealed a stress crack in my new Remus header. The offending crack is at the weld for the hanger tab, it looks like the weld melted the pipe a little thin, and under load it burst. I will post pictures tonight (Film at Eleven). I don't know if I should contact Remus USA or go thru Adrenalin. By the time I post pics of the crack I'm sure I'll have a course of action.

Love the Pipe, not a condemnation, anything made can break, and any problem can be solved. You guys should check your underside header mount tab for cracks. At idle you can feel the hot gas pulsate quite easily.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
That's bad news...

~

After a 1000 mile trip to Dallas this weekend, I noticed a slight gurgle sound at idle, a quick check revealed a stress crack in my new Remus header. The offending crack is at the weld for the hanger tab, it looks like the weld melted the pipe a little thin, and under load it burst. I will post pictures tonight (Film at Eleven). I don't know if I should contact Remus USA or go thru Adrenalin. By the time I post pics of the crack I'm sure I'll have a course of action.

Love the Pipe, not a condemnation, anything made can break, and any problem can be solved. You guys should check your underside header mount tab for cracks. At idle you can feel the hot gas pulsate quite easily.

I haven't wanted to mention it before, primarily because I hoped it was confined to only BMW models, but...

Back when I was riding a BMW R1150R and hung out on a couple of Beemer-centric boards there was an ongoing problem with Remus pipes cracking on Oilhead twins, particularly on the GS's. What was worse was the carbon-canned ones had those CF muffler housings coming apart, too. One guy with a GS's had two titanium cans split and separate all the way around and finally switched to a stainless can. Any number of R1150R and R1150GS owners had the header pipes crack...

Now I must add that Remus appeared to be very good about replacing the broken parts with new pieces, but there was always some sort of fairly substantial wait involved. That got a number of owners pretty upset. Several just jumped ship and bought different brand exhaust systems.

Please understand, I am not trying to assert that Remus systems have, or will have, any problems. Just reporting what I read and saw. I had a Staintune cat-eliminator and a Neptune can on my R1150R and never had a problem one. I have never owned a Remus system so I can't speck from personal experience... And I must add I know several BMW riders that mounted Remus systems on their Hexheads and none have had any problems.

That's why I thought the issues might be confined to only BMW Oilhead models.

Hate to hear about a problem on an XR system... :(

Hope they take care of it for you.

Dallara

~

G

·
One of our parts guys was at an hd conference in sydney last mth and one of the guy's there had done 500kms on his xr with remus pipe and it had also cracked not sure of the outcome though.

G

·
By now it's probably the most sold aftermarket pipe for the XR and we know of 2 cracked ones yet...

nothing to worry about...

But it's always a pita to look after broken pieces....damn waste of time..

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
Nothing to worry about???

~

By now it's probably the most sold aftermarket pipe for the XR and we know of 2 cracked ones yet...

nothing to worry about...

Well, I don't know about that...

Again, I don't want anyone to get the idea that I am trying to bash Remus pipes, because I'm not.

However, we only have 116 members here, and only a very few of those - 5 or 10, maybe a couple more - have Remus pipes... Yet out of those XR owners with Remus pipes, plus one, there are two of them that are known to have cracked in only a relatively few miles? :confused:

Pretty high percentage.

That could make me worry, at least a bit, until I found out the reason why those cracked, how Remus was handling the issue, and how long it took to get the replacement parts... ;)

Just my two cents... YMMV.

Dallara

~

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first step has been taken. I spoke with Knute at REMUS USA, He was a little put out that I didn't purchase the exhaust from the USA distributor, I don't really blame him. He acted like I needed to take my issue to England. I asked if it made a difference to Remus where thier product is sold, and he asked me to send my reciept and a photo of said crack.

Stay Tuned for photo, I will post this evening.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
The first step has been taken. I spoke with Knute at REMUS USA, He was a little put out that I didn't purchase the exhaust from the USA distributor, I don't really blame him. He acted like I needed to take my issue to England. I asked if it made a difference to Remus where thier product is sold, and he asked me to send my reciept and a photo of said crack.

Stay Tuned for photo, I will post this evening.
Please send the photos of the offending pipe to me here, and I will arrange the warranty work if necessary. If Remus USA want to be funny about it then I'm sure we can get it sorted for you.

We have sold an awful lot of Remus systems all over the world since they were released (probably more than everyone else put together!), and this is the first time I have heard of any problems with them. I have spoken to the UK distributor and he hasn't head of any or had any warranty returns either, so I am assuming at this stage that you have either a faulty robot weld or maybe a faulty batch at worse.

Send me the details and we'll go from there.

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You Matt, I didn't want to bother you guys, but we shall see how it goes.

I suspect it is not a big deal, but if we are talking about a bad batch (Like the guy in New Zealand) several of us purchased around the same time, and everyone should check.

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
size of a quarter

As promised, the offending crack (No Plummer Jokes), OK, Plummer Jokes.

I will see what USA says before I bug Matt, although I do need a few things, so it wouldn't be a hardship

I apologize for the size.

G

·
That's interesting. I've just whacked on a Remus (courtesy of Matt) and looked at that bracket with some curiousity - I was tempted to install the system without that mounting point, as it looked like the weak link.

Would the torquing of that mounting bolt affect the exhaust, I wonder?

·
It aint no good locking the doors, when the madnes
7,305 Posts
Now you've taken the pics, i would be tempted to drill a small hole at the end of that crack and run a grinder the length of the crack then get someone to run some weld in there and down the crack to stop it creeping any further.
When you get in touch with Remus tell em about this forum and if they mess you around your gonna post it on here, that might make em pull their finger out.
They get a lot of business from here so they should do the right thing.

·
Reputation points: -4
1,205 Posts
Veccs--

Obviously the result of riding too slow!!

G

·
Remus Response

Hi Vecchio,

Sorry you had the issue. Looks like cracks developing on left and right sides of the weld. It will be interesting to hear what Remus has to say.

relic

G

·
I hope that this is just an isolated problem as my Remus system goes on in 6 days and the way my luck has been going lately........:eek:

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
I have sent the pictures to Remus UK so will see what they say. I have to admit this is the very first case we have seen of cracked XR headers, although Remus have seen this on other models fitted with aftermarket headers.

It looks as though the mount has been under stress rather than just 'resting' on the bottom mount as it should be. It is worth pointing out that when fitting aftermarket pipes (any make) to rubber mounted engines such as the XR, the order for tightening fittings should be to get the system lined up first, then tighten the rear strap, then the head fittings and lastly the lower bracket shown. If it doesn't appear to lne up then either drill a larger hole or slot the mounting to get a good fit without stressing the mount. If there is a gap between the pipe lug and the mount then use washers to fill it rather try to tighten the bracket to close the gap up.

I'm not suggesting that you fitted it any other way, just a reminder to others when fitting pipes.

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No offense taken, I don't remember the order of torque, except I know I started at the heads and worked down, maybe a high temp silicone washer would be good for a bit of flex.

I'll let you all know as soon as I get a response.

·
Carbon Fibre Hooligans
569 Posts
On the Buells the rule of thimb was always to tighten everything from the back to the front, ending with the head studs. However the whole exhaust on the Buell moves with the engine, so is slightly different to the XR in that respect.

I think that anyone who has a aftermarket system on their XR that utilises the under engine bracket should check this bracket fitting on their headers and make sure it isn't under any stress (maybe sing it a song, poor it a drink ;) ).

A little bit of adjustment could make all the difference.

·
Some gave all
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gentlemen, I just spoke with Patrick at Remus USA, he has a case of the reddass that Adrenalin is undercutting his business by many dollars. I told him, the days of protected domains are over, this is a global economy, and if he wants to sell more exhaust systems, then sell them at a reasonable price.

He did say that he understands customers shopping for value, and that he would do what he could to help me. I don't have a lot of confidence in the outcome. I am open to alternatives.

·
Creaks When Walks...
172 Posts
That's bad news...

~

Wow, Vecchio...

I'm really sorry to hear that. Too bad Remus USA can't see that they have to be competitive and instead want a protected, insular market. All the more reason to buy from Matt at Adrenalin, as it appears he is going to try and take care of you.

Interesting about the mounting issues, too.

Would seem that if there needs to be some sort of specified tightening sequence, of if bolt holes have to be re-sized, etc. that those points would be covered in the instructions. Would also seem to me that the particular mount in question shouldn't be a solid mount, either...

Just my 0.02...

Best of luck on getting your pipe handled.

Dallara

~

G

·
first thing I'm going to check before I ride next time is that bolt...I'm going to loosen it to see if it's under any tension or something...

Well it's always the problem with imported things...but I think if a unit fails then it should not matter were you bought it.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts