XR1200 Owners Group banner

REar brake question

Tags
rear brake
4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeP 
#1 ·
I am used to a really good rear brake on the XL1200s we had previously. However, the XR1200x rear seems to be as wooden feeling as anything I have ever tried. It is the same caliper as the rest of the Sportster line, but I presume the master cylinder is different for the XR. But all I get from it is some travel and then basically nothing in the way of stopping power. I should have asked them to check it at the service, but I usually only use it in the car park at work. Can any one else comment on the rear brake? Is there something wrong, or is this bike aimed completely away from your average HD rider that doesn't like front brakes?

#3 ·
Taking a guess here...

With most cruisers having a single disc in front, they have stronger rear brakes than most bikes with a more sport riding intent.

The rear on my old CBR 600 was about the same as the XRx's rear brake.

These sportier machines are meant to have their front brakes used way more than the rear. It really is where the majority of your stopping power resides.

I use my rear in the same way Scotty does...

#5 ·
With most cruisers having a single disc in front, they have stronger rear brakes than most bikes with a more sport riding intent.

The rear on my old CBR 600 was about the same as the XRx's rear brake.

These sportier machines are meant to have their front brakes used way more than the rear. It really is where the majority of your stopping power resides.

I use my rear in the same way Scotty does...
+ 1

Alex:rolleyes:

#4 ·
Check the fluid level, mine was low from the factory. I use my brakes like most on this site. Front for stopping, rear to set the bike.

#9 ·
Mine works fine. Very linear. The harder you push, the harder it brakes. I can lock the rear any time by just using the rear brake. And it can be easily locked if you are practically lifting the rear tire off the ground with the front brakes. Don't need any more than that.

Also, check your foot position on the brake pedal. It is shaped funky and several people have been pushing on the mid-point of the lever instead of the end. That would cut your braking in half.

#13 ·
I'm with most here. I think the rear brake is fine and I use it more on the XR than on any bike before.
It's probably the XRs weight and length that makes the rear brake much more usable than on most bikes. On sportier and lighter modern bikes the weight distribution and geometry makes the rear brake almost useless for anything else than trailing it into a turn.

That said, I've ordered the original steel braided brake line kit for the XR from HD. I already had the fronts. See if it brings any improvement.

I have also ordered this rear brake rotor from HDW to replace the ultra heavy stock manhole cover that looks totally out of place on the XR IMO. The HDW rotor is the only one I have found that closely matches the design of the stock front rotors on the X.

It's all in the details... :)

#15 ·
I have also ordered this rear brake rotor from HDW to replace the ultra heavy stock manhole cover that looks totally out of place on the XR IMO. The HDW rotor is the only one I have found that closely matches the design of the stock front rotors on the X.

It's all in the details... :)
Richard, you are right, that is the best looking rear rotor I've seen!

#16 ·
My Braking rear rotor just came from Dris today it looks awesome and matches my Galfer front. I also got my SS rear break line from Storz $74 shipped and it is compatible with HD's sending unit, NO CHROME ends like HD's. Now to find some time to put it on :nana:

#17 ·
yeah what is true about japs or italian bikes is not at all about harley. you don't brake the same at all on HD's.

whereas on a jap you use mainly the front brake, and just a little the rear on hard braking (i once met a dude who said never never use the rear, he would never move his right foot, or replace his read pads), on harley the amount of brake power is truely 70% front 30 rear, and so really it's substanctial for the rear to rely on, mainly because those bikes are a lot heavier, and their front brake is always poorly effective, and the rear is not bad at al, even pretty good effective (compared to japs). And the XR is no exception. (Even thought it's front nissin brakes are the best from all the HD catalog, maybe with Vrod ?haven't tried those big ventilated discs, but I woud be curious to give these serie's braking a try)

that's the reason why, on all HD's, rear is essential, and the rule is, every time you start braking, start the rear first, leave your foot on the pedal constantly, then dose with the front, and manage your stop.

the guys over here who claims never using the rear will face serious problems the day they're gonna leave their big desert national and drive on a road with over vehicles on it and/or drive faster than 30 mph.

#18 ·
Just an update - It looks like the rear brake was affected by degreaser or something, and after using it hard a few times I have managed to burn that off and return it to the effectiveness that I expect from a Sporty rear brake. The good thing is that the front brake is as effective as a euro sports bike - so win-win!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.